Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Enjoy!

I can't bring myself to sell my K-x. It's a good little friend. I guess it'll be my son's good little friend soon. With several lenses around, an extra body can be useful at times too.

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 08-07-2012 at 07:13 AM.
08-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #17

WA-Surfer,
I purchased a K30 from Singapore. It is a much better camera than my KX. Focusing was the bug bear of my KX whereas the K30 allows you to adjust for the uniqueness of individual lenses. I have a AF50/1.4 which has always performed like a dog wide open or in low light. On the K30 it is showing its true pedigree. The k30's viewfinder is a delight compared with the dull Kx and you can actually see detail in targets to better focus in manual mode plus you can check for detail in the rear LCD when magnified which you can't do very well in a KX with the lower resolution LCD.
I am in Perth also, and wondered how you sold your KX. I tried Gumtree and it sat un-admired for months.
08-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #18

Original Poster
Hi kevcol,
Great to hear from another Perth Pentaxian! Yeah, the improved focus is my main driver to upgrade and will hopefully improve my % of keepers. Especially with two young girls who are fast and hard to capture! It's comforting to hear that you are already seeing benefits. How long was delivery from Singapore to Perth after you payment?
I sold my Kx today on Gumtree after only two days. Sold it for $400 together with the 18-55 lens. It was in mint condition and reasonably priced so i had plenty of interest in it.
Thanks for your feedback.
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on pulling the trigger! You story sounds awfully familiar: I also sold my (white) K-x before ordering the K-30. I would have kept it until after I received the new camera, but I was afraid that with the K-30 being such a natural upgrade path for K-x owners, that there would soon be a glut of K-x's on the used market driving the price down. I sold mine on here for $390 + shipping with the 18-55mm lens. I was very pleased to get that much, since I paid $450 for the camera almost new two years ago, and I had run the shutter count up to near 50,000. Amazingly, the white finish still looked like new. That was a very durable little camera!

I wish I could have kept my K-x, but I knew that it would get very little use once I had the K-30. And the money I got from the K-x helped fund the purchase of a Sigma 100-300mm f4, a lens I've always dreamed of.

My white K-30 from took about a week to get from Singapore to the US. Having my wife's Olympus PEN E-P1 to use in the meantime helped out a lot. You can pick one of those up for $150 used, and for around $150 you can add a 14mm f2.5 or 17mm f2.8 and have a great little camera to walk around with when you don't want to lug the DSLR around. Very fun little camera and it takes great pictures. And for $20 - $25 you can get an adapter to let it use Pentax lenses.

08-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #20

K30 kit took only 3 1/2 days to get to Perth from Singapore delivered by a lovely Fedex lady. Camera was in the best packaging I have ever seen. No warranty in the box or answers to questions about whether CRKennedy would be obliged to do the warranty as they are the equivalent Pentax distributors in Australia.

Camera works beautifully. No washing machine noise on video. All weather sealed doors open easily and it is my first Pentax with an on/off switch that is smooth to operate. Battery does not seem to last like a Kx so I ordered an Ebay one with a charger for under $12. I like the folding electrical prongs that you just bend with pliers to fit our wall plugs. The Kr AA adapters are suppose to fit a K30 and are on Ebay for about $4.
08-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Their computer monitor sales, stock, competition prices and then modifies the price of the item.
This is true. The prices are all over the place, sometimes wildly so. Frequent errors, typos and omissions on the webpages because the descriptions can only be changed by the original poster.

Oh, I'd get the K30 now.
08-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevcol Quote
K30 kit took only 3 1/2 days to get to Perth from Singapore delivered by a lovely Fedex lady. Camera was in the best packaging I have ever seen. No warranty in the box or answers to questions about whether CRKennedy would be obliged to do the warranty as they are the equivalent Pentax distributors in Australia.

Camera works beautifully. No washing machine noise on video. All weather sealed doors open easily and it is my first Pentax with an on/off switch that is smooth to operate. Battery does not seem to last like a Kx so I ordered an Ebay one with a charger for under $12. I like the folding electrical prongs that you just bend with pliers to fit our wall plugs. The Kr AA adapters are suppose to fit a K30 and are on Ebay for about $4.
Thanks. My order staus changed to shipped today! I ordered the AA adaptor from them as well already.
They have been very helpful both by email and on the phone.

08-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
definitely get AA adapter, I am still waiting for mine.
took now over 500 photos with K-30, an excellent camera, I added some more photos:
Pentax K-30 - a set on Flickr
08-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes, the AA adapter is a must, and the fact that this camera takes AA batteries should be one of the biggest selling points. I ordered my AA adapter for the K-30 a week or so before I had even pulled the trigger on the K-30 so that it would have time to arrive from China. I bought this one from eBay for $4.50 shipped:

D-BH109 AA Battery Holder Adapter Bracket For PENTAX K-R SLR DSLR CAMERA | eBay

I took 603 shots with my K-30 in RAW + JPEG the other day on a fully charged set of Rayovac Platinum NiMH batteries that charge up to a little over 2200 mAh. I also took several HDR shots (JPEG only, 3 shutter actuations each time), so were talking about well over 1200 files being captured. I was using a huge and heavy screw-driven lens the whole time (Sigma 100-300mm f4), so I figured the batteries would be about spent, but when I put them in the charger, the charger pulled another 930 mAh out of the batteries before they were fully depleted. The batteries were about $10 from Wal-Mart, and can be ordered for about the same price from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Rayovac Platinum Pre-Charged NiMH AA Size Batteries, 4 Count: Health & Personal Care

I also have a couple sets of Eneloops, and they seem to perform about the same as the Rayovacs.
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Yes, the AA adapter is a must, and the fact that this camera takes AA batteries should be one of the biggest selling points. I ordered my AA adapter for the K-30 a week or so before I had even pulled the trigger on the K-30 so that it would have time to arrive from China. I bought this one from eBay for $4.50 shipped:

D-BH109 AA Battery Holder Adapter Bracket For PENTAX K-R SLR DSLR CAMERA | eBay

I took 603 shots with my K-30 in RAW + JPEG the other day on a fully charged set of Rayovac Platinum NiMH batteries that charge up to a little over 2200 mAh. I also took several HDR shots (JPEG only, 3 shutter actuations each time), so were talking about well over 1200 files being captured. I was using a huge and heavy screw-driven lens the whole time (Sigma 100-300mm f4), so I figured the batteries would be about spent, but when I put them in the charger, the charger pulled another 930 mAh out of the batteries before they were fully depleted. The batteries were about $10 from Wal-Mart, and can be ordered for about the same price from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Rayovac Platinum Pre-Charged NiMH AA Size Batteries, 4 Count: Health & Personal Care

I also have a couple sets of Eneloops, and they seem to perform about the same as the Rayovacs.

That is precisely why I just do not understand the people that argue vigorously against AA compatibility for Pentax cameras. It makes 0 sense to me. If you want proprietary batteries - great, the K-30 does those and comes configured for them. But, if you want AAs and their convenience the K-30 can do that too for another $4.50! That's killer! It's part of why I have the battery grip on the K-5, that is the only way to access AAs for the K-5.
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Yes, the AA adapter is a must, and the fact that this camera takes AA batteries should be one of the biggest selling points.
Agreed. I have my trusty Eneloops and charger in hand and ready for when my K30 arrives together with the AA adaptor. My status with Pentax Singapore changed to shipped yesterday so it should only be 1-4 days away now and on the phone they said that they put the AA adaptor in the same package for me so that they arrive together . No waiting for batteries to charge for me!
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
Agreed. I have my trusty Eneloops and charger in hand and ready for when my K30 arrives together ........
No waiting for batteries to charge for me!
Good plan, I am still waiting for my AA adapter
08-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If I could afford one right now I'd probably cave and buy the K-30 even though common sense tells me to wait until it's been out for a few months and is cheaper. For me it's the perfect camera and I am dead set on having one by next year sometime, but Photokina is not too far off and depending upon your needs a K3 or whatever they're going to call it, that might be better for you. It all depends upon what your needs are and what your wallet can afford.

I've got a $500 vet bill and an emergency dental bill I can't even hardly look at because seeing 4 figures on it makes me wince even more than actually having the work done. I was going to sell my Taks and some other stuff to buy me a K-30 body? Now I'm just selling them off to get my teeth fixed which just plain sucks, lol. If you can afford one and you don't need a more advanced camera then go for it, but do post lots of pics so I can enjoy vicariously, will you?

;P
08-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about the bills magkelly, but you're right to make your dental care the priority. Don't waste any time regretting spending the money on your dental health. You can always buy more lenses down the road, but if you don't take care of your teeth now, you can't get new ones later, and your quality of life will be seriously impacted. My wife is a dentist, so she's always telling me stories of patients who neglected their teeth for too long, and then have to suffer the big bills, massive dental work, and lost teeth. And besides, like you said, there will be better bargains on the K-30 farther down the road.