Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How to turn off the Screen?

Hi,

I just got my K-30 which is a serious upgrade from my istDL

Question: why is my k-30 displaying the Info-whatever-screen all the time?
annoying when shooting in the dark (ruining your vision on the way to your eye).
Battery draining also.

The istDL only displayed any info if told so (hit Fn button for example)

did I miss something?

thank you
Dr.

08-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hit the info button a couple of times...

The first time you press it, it displays the Control Panel.

The second time it blanks the screen.
08-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not on K-30 , I already pointed it out in :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/194028-iso-auto-m-first-impressions.html
the second press on INFO will bring four options:
Status Screen ( = Control Panel)
Electronic Level
Display off
Compass/ GPS
a bit fiddly, do not like it, hopefully will get changed with first firmware update
08-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/194028-iso-auto-m-first-impressions.html
Electronic Level
Display off
Compass/ GPS
a bit fiddly, do not like it, hopefully will get changed with first firmware update

Waiiiit... compass/GPS? I was under the impression you would still need an OGPS-1 for that function or am I mistaken?

08-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Waiiiit... compass/GPS? I was under the impression you would still need an OGPS-1 for that function or am I mistaken?
You do. If the GPS unit isn't installed in the hotshoe, this menu option is greyed out.
08-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ahh, there.

thank you

Dr.
08-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Electronic Level
Display off
Compass/ GPS
If you choose "Display off". Can you still access the Status Screen if you pres INFO?
08-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it will toggle between "display off" "info screen" "screen with 4 options" ,
if you change to the first option " Status screen" than it will toggle between:
"status screen" "info screen" "4 option screen".
if you turn camera off with "screen off" selected, will still have a black screen after turning camera on, the same with K-5.
The important diference is, on K-5 after pressing "info" you would get "Status screen" ( what is convenient & desirable),
on K-30 after pressing "info" you would get "Info screen" after second press you would get "4 option screen" , you need to select "Status screen" and one more press to get there - not very convenient

08-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

Is there any option that turns off display after several seconds?
08-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

what do you mean?
you can set power to go off after 1min..........up to 30min or never?
the LCD screen goes off after ~25-28sec on all Pentax DSLR's, well it does on K-x,K-5 and K-30, can not find anything in MENU to change it,odd??
camera goes into standby mode, you press any button ( on K-x, K-5 or K-30) and it wakes up.
K-30 must have a motion detector build in, just move it and it wakes up ( wow!) , up to the selected time for "Power go off" in the Menu, beyond that selected time you would need to press a button to wake it up.
08-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
jup
Forum Member

what do you mean?
you can set power to go off after 1min..........up to 30min or never?
the LCD screen goes off after ~25-28sec on all Pentax DSLR's, well it does on K-x,K-5 and K-30, can not find anything in MENU to change it,odd??
K-30 display goes off much faster after taking a picture if you don't press anything. At first I was kind of surprised by this, K-x didn't do that. It doesn't switch itself off, but it turns display off few secs after taking picture. I don't think there's any option to change this.
QuoteQuote:
camera goes into standby mode, you press any button ( on K-x, K-5 or K-30) and it wakes up.
K-30 must have a motion detector build in, just move it and it wakes up ( wow!)
How did you get this? Mine never woke up on camera move...
08-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
K-30 display goes off much faster after taking a picture if you don't press anything. At first I was kind of surprised by this, K-x didn't do that. It doesn't switch itself off, but it turns display off few secs after taking picture. I don't think there's any option to change this.
yes you are right, you can change Instant Review 1,3 or 5sec but then LCD screen goes off after ~1sec , I can not find anywhere you could change it
but K-x behaves the same, just checked it , takes much longer for Instant Review ( mine set to 3sec) to appear but then LCD screen goes off after ~1sec , the same as on K-30, than blue light goes off after ~3min ( Auto Power Off is set to 3min in MENU)
QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
How did you get this? Mine never woke up on camera move...
you are right, well, bizarre....it is the Tamron 46A old lens with Adaptall2 P/KA adapter "doing" waking up??
it does that on K-5 as well, bummer.......apologise for my burst of enthusiasm.
It must be a loose contact on the adapter causing camera to wake up, although that adaptor works fine and I have another Adaptall2 P/KA which
would not wake camera up, very odd indeed.
05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Just got the K30. When you turn the camera on, you get the status screen. And it stays on......for something that feels like forever. Isn't there a way to change how long the status display stays on? And, once I see the status, and decided that I don't need the display on any more for the moment, isn't there a simple way to stop the display until I press the info or shutter half way again?

Thanks
05-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Just got the K30. When you turn the camera on, you get the status screen. And it stays on......for something that feels like forever. Isn't there a way to change how long the status display stays on? And, once I see the status, and decided that I don't need the display on any more for the moment, isn't there a simple way to stop the display until I press the info or shutter half way again?

Thanks
Info-Info-Display Off-OK. I leave that set just about always, I only ever wake up the display in picture taking mode (as opposed to playback) briefly via the ISO/Flash/WB/Timer buttons or if I want to see the battery status which needs the status screen on via Info-Info-Status Screen-OK. Adding the battery status to all of the screens would be a nice firmware update thinking about it.
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Thanks SteveB - I gave it a try, and that is one way, but I was hoping for the more usual hit the Info button and it turns on/off. Doesn't look like there is such a simple way with the K30. Seems like an excellent camera, but I think that the usability on this issue rates as an annoyance.