Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 vs K-5 SPECIFIC questions

I'm working on upgrading from my K-r, which was purchased last October just to hold me over while I recover from a terribly expensive divorce. Sold most of my Nikon gear to pay for that divorce, and as long as I needed to buy new I decided to go back to Pentax where I started.

Anyway, as I have been shooting for years with more professional bodies the K-r has been driving me NUTS. Single control wheel, no DOF preview, no dedicated top settings screen (wouldn't be a problem if the camera would snap back into shooting mode faster), and much more. Most of my frustrations have been addressed with the K-30, but some aren't clear. I've been reading for a couple hours on this and other sites and I haven't been able to find an answer (it may be here, but I find myself tuning out when threads turn into debates about image processing engines and the size of focus points, so I may have just missed it).

1. Is the K-30 crippled like the K-r, K-x, and others before them where framerate, timer delay, remote control, and AEB are all on the same button? I can't even express how many shots have come out really blurry on a rather good tripod (not my dream setup, but not a flimsy POS either) when using AEB and needing to press the shutter by hand. This would be a deal breaker for me with the K-30. Remote control and/or timer delay and/or mirror lockup in conjunction with AEB is a must for me.

2. When doing AEB does it allow the ISO to be increased? The K-r tends to boost ISO before slowing down the shutter speed, and I'm on a tripod! Who designed that? It can not be disabled through any special settings! The only way around it is to bracket manually and that takes FOREVER on a large HDR pano, while also creating great opportunities for user error, or a slight shift in view, or allowing the scene to change.

3. I assume that the tungsten light focusing issue of the K-r is not an issue with the K-30?

4. Any owners have any unhappy surprises, such as the one I had when I first used the K-r in my studio and despite having a specific focus point right on a subject's eye it still came out completely blurry?

5. Is the screen better than the K-r? I can't count the number of times I've looked at an image on the screen and thought, "Oh no! That looks like crap! What did I do wrong?!", only to then zoom in and see that it is in focus, check the histogram and see that it is properly exposed, and just remind myself that the screen sucks and trust Pentax to take care of me and my clients. (The flip side of this is that I sometimes trust it too much and end up with a crappy image that I thought was okay. The screen must be reliable!)

Obviously I can solve all of these issues by going with the K-5. And I probably will. But I would love to have the focus peaking and video improvements (and maybe AF performance?) of the K-30 immediately, and then later move up to the K-5 replacement. So, for me, it comes down to these specific issues, particularly where they are essentially the same price right now and essentially identical image quality (14 bit DNG would be nice on occasion, but not a deal breaker for me).

If these are non-issues with the K-30 then the only things pulling me toward the K-5 would be the top screen, metal construction, vertical grip option, and battery life. Those are all great to have, but again, not dealbreakers for me.

Thanks!!

08-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To use AEB with mirror up, do it in live view. Use a wired remote. I have tried an infrared remote and it only takes the first shot, but a wired remote lets you press and hold. That should address most of your issues on your Kr! The K30 is probably set up the same way.
08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
There is no wired remote option for the K-r, unless you mean fabricating a bracket to allow the use of the old mechanical remotes? (Why, oh, why did they stop putting the threaded shutter buttons on cameras??)

"Is probably" isn't going to cut it here. I need to know before making a business purchase.
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The rear screen is the same as the K-r on both the K-5 and K30. The K30, unlike the K-r has a wired release port.

The only advantages the K30 has over the K-5 is slightly improved autofocus and video.

08-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Every Pentax camera I've used has had the drive modes and self timer set up the same way: similar to your Kr. I would be amazed if the K30 was different. In terms of shutter release, there's a socket for a Jack plug under the side flap.
08-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-r has DoF preview, you just have to set up the green button to do that.
Timer, mirror lockup, and bracketing all together is something the K-r is missing. AF can be fiddly, but usually its a problem of AF point being too big and focusing on something else (often the background).
Um.. I think the K-5 has more pro features than the K30, but the K30 has newer technology (improved AF, focus peaking in live view). There are also rumors that Pentax will soon announce a K-5 replacement, so you might want to see its stats?
08-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Every Pentax camera I've used has had the drive modes and self timer set up the same way: similar to your Kr. I would be amazed if the K30 was different. In terms of shutter release, there's a socket for a Jack plug under the side flap.
This isn't the case, my K-5 has far more drive modes than my K-x, including the one the OP'er wants which is timer delay+AEB. As to whether the K-30 has it, I don't know, but the K-30 manual would confirm it.
08-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In this thread I posted the bracket comparison menu from K-5(left) and K-30(right) from the manual. The K-30 has wired remote capability so that should address having to press the shutter button.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/192938-...ml#post2029223

Last edited by crewl1; 08-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.
08-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The rear screen is the same as the K-r on both the K-5 and K30. The K30, unlike the K-r has a wired release port.

The only advantages the K30 has over the K-5 is slightly improved autofocus and video.
Depending upon your needs, the K5 has an expanded ISO (80 to 52600) and also a 14 bit A/D converter vs 12 bit for the K30. This would result in better performance / dynamic range in low light and in shadows.

Also, you can augment the shutter time externally with a remote shutter release / timer / intervalometer that is pretty inexpensive. Pentax uses the same plug and control as Canon.
08-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #10

Yes, it doesn't have those modes. But it should be easily added via firmware update. Hoping for a miracle Pentax does this so.

On the other threads, I have mentioned this but I guess it was me not doing my assignment. I based my facts on the DPR preview of the K-30 when I made my purchase which says it can use the timer and remote on AEB. Well, I guess we shouldn't trust DPR too much these days. I've already sent a feedback to them.
08-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Or wait next new high-end K-3 or K-"?"!!!!