Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
With the K30, it appears to me that my only option is to push the green button, which rarely yielded
a correct exposure setting on my K200D ( I admit I haven't tried it on the K30, but from what others
have said in this thread, I'm not hopeful ).
I wouldn't be so negative about that, I've made a few dozens of shots with the green button on my K30 and a manual lens and the metering was never off. Multi-Segment metering also works without problems. I can't really understand where the negative opinions come from.

09-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I think it depends on which manual lens you're using.

As far as I know, Matrix metering doesn't work when doing stop down (green button) metering on manual lenses. I think it defaults to center weighted if the camera is set to Matrix metering. This might work OK on some lenses, depending on the subject being photographed.

I guess it's a shame that they do provide the ability to get DOF preview using the Raw/Fx button, but by disabling the meter while in preview, they've removed a useful function when using old lenses.

I believe that other bodies, where the DOF preview is on the ON/OFF switch don't disable the meter while preview is active. This is true for the K200D, and I believe it's true for the K7. OK, you have to program the Raw/Fx button on the K30 to get DOF preview, but why make it work differently by disabling the meter ? It seems like a deliberate attempt to discourage the use of old lenses. Or perhaps it was an oversight.

( It could probably be fixed with a FW update if enough users complained )

Cheers