Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-30 MF focus assist off!

Hi,

I just fooled around with my new k30, shooting with my m42 takumars.
The K-30 gives you a beep and highlights the AF field when it thinks you are in focus.

Theory.

always off, quite a bit. I can do way better with eyes only.

a.) normal? don't think so
b.) something to adjust (how)?
c.) something I should send the camera back for?
d.) How to turn off that Beep, if it's not working anyway

thank you in advance
Dr.

08-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Page 206 in the manual for (d.)
Attached Images

08-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as your manual focusing confirmation goes - how far off? Very off? Slightly off?

Any pictures for examples? How do you feel about using focus peaking for manual shooting?
08-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by DrDespair Quote
The K-30 gives you a beep and highlights the AF field when it thinks you are in focus.
The beep and focus point highlight are great, but use the green hexagon to confirm focus, not the red dot. If you rely on the beep and focal point highlight, you can actually focus past the point where it was in focus. The green hexagon will show you when the camera actually detects focus. Took me a while with my K200d to stop thinking the beep was what I wanted.

See page 33

8 Focus indicator (p.63)
Lit: when the subject is in focus.
Blinks: when the subject is not in focus.

08-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Hi, this is a very easy fix depending on how many manual lenses you have. You need to go to the K-30's menu -> Custom Menu (page 4 I think ) and go to AF Tunning. There you can apply a AF tuning adjustment to fix you're front-focus or back-focus issues. It can be set for all lenses or up to 20 individual lenses. If you have manual lens unfortunately, only the global amount will be used because there is lens id?
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The beep doesn't tell you it's in focus, per se. It's telling you it's trying to lock in on a focus point. The green hexagon is the camera's focus indicator. I know, it's a little annoying but you can change the beep as indicated above. When using autofocus the lag between beep and lock isn't noticable most of the time. With manual, it can be.
08-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The beep doesn't tell you it's in focus, per se. It's telling you it's trying to lock in on a focus point. The green hexagon is the camera's focus indicator. I know, it's a little annoying but you can change the beep as indicated above. When using autofocus the lag between beep and lock isn't noticable most of the time. With manual, it can be.
Yes this definitely is the case, same on my older Pentax DSLR (K200D)
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hurray i found the sound settings.
maybe the Menu isn't all that self-explanatory: read the manual!

so now that beep is of, thank goodness.

But still: hexagon says in focus - Shoot - focus is a bit in front of what i focussed on.
bummer.

Manual focus in Live View with peaking and Magnification works just perfect.

thank you guys, I'll keep testing.

08-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #9

I was very pleased with the way the K30 allowed tuning of focus for individual lenses.
I first set all auto auto focus lenses individually.
My manual focus lenses were all way out but became accurate with the global adjustment.
I then went back and readjusted the electronic lenses and some had altered such that one that was previously off the scale (+10) would also focus properly.
Its a bit like Xmas after the KX being so hard to get a reliable focus even after playing with debug mode.