Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New K-30 review on Steve's Digicams

Just FYI, a new K-30 review was just posted on Steve's Digicams today:

Pentax K-30-Slr Review: Overview

I haven't paid much attention to that site since several years ago when I still didn't know anything about cameras and was trying to find the nicest compact under $300. These days, I don't find Steven's reviews to be much more useful than a spec sheet and press release, and the sample photos are usually embarsingly bad. I'm no pro, but I wouldn't consider most of his sample photos to be good enough to bother keeping on my hard drive, much less put them out there for the whole world to see.

08-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steves-digicams was sold back in 2009. Not sure if Steve is still there but the whole point of the site these days is to drive traffic for ad revenue. I agree the reviews are no longer worth the time. I used to spend hours on that site reading reviews and comparing cameras.

The Online Photographer: Steve's Digicams Sold
08-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's funny. I would hate to be the one having to write a review for every obscure camera known to man. I've noticed that most of the reviews give the compact cameras way too much credit for image quality.
08-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Steves-digicams was sold back in 2009. Not sure if Steve is still there but the whole point of the site these days is to drive traffic for ad revenue. I agree the reviews are no longer worth the time. I used to spend hours on that site reading reviews and comparing cameras.
The K-30 conclusion concentrates on usability and is quite useful. I also used to spend hours on Steve's. He always took the same shots, a playground one was all I needed to see to be able to judge any camera for image quality - better than anything DPR ever came up with.

08-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It wasn't a bad review - it was pretty informative without being gushing.
08-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The K-30 conclusion concentrates on usability and is quite useful. I also used to spend hours on Steve's. He always took the same shots, a playground one was all I needed to see to be able to judge any camera for image quality - better than anything DPR ever came up with.
Before it was sold I used it a lot, when I was managing a camera department at future shop i would go to Steve's for every model and print out the same test shot for each one and keep it in a binder for people to peruse, it was a great idea
08-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The recurring sample pictures were nice for comparing cameras. I also spent many hours comparing the same scene shot with different cameras. I remember some of the common shots were he included were artillery at a park, a playground, the police station, the side of an old movie theater, the facade of a museum, and a chinese restaurant. Like I said, I haven't read many reviews on there lately, but the K-30 review does not include any of those old scenes.