Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

K30 Lens protection

I recently purchased a K30 with the 18-135mm lens. We will be going to the beach on vacation and I was curious if this was going to be a problem. I wouldn't think so, since both the K30 and 18-135 lens are WR, but I thought I would check. If it is going to be a problem, do you have any suggestions on how I can protect my gear?

Also, my sister suggested I get a UV filter, so I was curious what size UV filter I would get for this lens since I have never used a filter. I would also be interested in any opinions about using the UV filter specifically at the beach, since I have read several opinions in this forum of why people do not use them and do not like them. The lens did come with a hood, which I will be using.

Thanks!

08-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do anything special with my K-5 and 18-135 other than keep it in a bag out of sight when I'm not shooting with it.

I think it if gets any salt water spray you would want to rinse it off in fresh water.

I don't use any filters myself so I can't comment on that.
08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UV filters were useful from an optical standpoint on film, that is not true on digital so there is no optical reason to use one. If you feel the need to protect the front element of the lens from spray, sand, hard knocks, flying seagull dodo or whatever that is your call. Just understand that putting on any filters will decrease the image quality to some degree. Whether it decreases it enough to bother you, only you can say. The lens hood on the other hand will always improve the image quality and provides protection as well, perhaps not quite the same as a filter but more effective in some ways, less in others.

A circular polarizer filter on the other hand can make dramatic differences in your photos by eliminating some of the glare and reflections off the water. I do not use one all the time but it is the only filter that is always in my bag, in some situations it makes the shot. Be aware that at the wide end of your lens a CPL can cause uneven colors in the sky, this is due to the width of the angle of view of the lens covering more of the sky, not the CPL. The difference is already in your shots, but without the CPL it is usually not very noticeable.
08-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

"K30 lens protection"

Do you want to protect the K30 from lenses? XD

Anyway UV filters might offer some protection to some of the elements but dont expect them to keep the lens safe when you drop the camera or when a rock flies your way, filter glass is very thing so it cant take an impact.
For optical reasons an UV filter is actually most of the time negative, certainly with zoom lenses because of the amount of glass inside the lens so adding more glass is not beneficial for reflections from outside and inside the lens.

08-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It is a personal choice really. In terms of UV filtering effect, only the +8 version are worthwhile on DSLR in general these days.
08-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your insights and opinions.

@roentarre: can you explain a bit more what a +8 version means?