Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To those who are familiar with both the K5 and a K30

I've seen a few comparisons between the K5 and K30, but am really interested which, on balance , comes out ahead. I am hoping those really familiar with both cameras can comment. Thanks.

08-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening Spode,

In some ways it comes down to the intended use of the camera - i.e., what and how you shoot. For instance:
  • The K30 has focus peaking, while the K5 does not. If you manual focus this will matter. If you manual focus to infinity for landscapes, it probably will not matter.
  • The K30 has a 12 bit Analog to Digital converter (you get 12 bits of information in each pixel), the K5 has a 14 bit A/D converter. Dynamic Range and shadows will be better with the K5 - especially in low light conditions.
  • The K30 has a low ISO range of 100, while the K5 has a low ISO of 80. Again Dynamic Range and shadows will be better with the K5 - especially in low light conditions.
There are differences in AutoFocus (new AF system), along with Video, of which I will leave to others, since I have not really read a lot about those areas.

08-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

K-30 is faster in Pentax lens correction in camera, faster in computing and processing, faster and more precise with AF and confirming MF.
can take AA battery with Adaptor ( for K-5 I need to use battery grip), is smaller and lighter than K-5 but still K-5 is better build camera and still better choice for certain situations. I took well over 500 shots with K-30 and really like using it, some photos:
Pentax K-30 - a set on Flickr
and some my photos with K-5:
Flickr: Search iTrax's photostream
08-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just came from the shop where I got to try K-30. My first impressions comparing to K-5 (I own K-5):
- K-30 has significally deeper grip, in fact , a tad to deep to my taste, however the pinky has its place on the grip. However I am not sure if my hand would feel OK after more time spent with camera, so I go for K-5, which has not so deep grip. Nevertheless, for compact camera, K-30 must be suited with the best grip, really good.
-Well made body. Not as solid as rocky K-5, but still you can feel nice material and quality.
-Main camera settings information on LCD looks more beautiful than on K-5 (I guess it is revised theme).
-Buttons are ok, while I did not like e-wheels so much (a bit too small, comparing to K-5, especially on the back).
-Shutter is definitely louder than K-5.
-LV focusing is fast, really fast. K-5 LV is pretty much OK, no complaints, but K-30 is step ahead. Usual focusing looks like to improved also, as i noticed faster kit lens movement from infinity to macro and backwards. Also, feels just a bit snappier than K-5, but not a huge difference.
-Perfect as a second body with small lens, like 40mm XS.

Overall: I was impressed by K-30.

08-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

deeper grip

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
I just came from the shop where I got to try K-30. My first impressions comparing to K-5 (I own K-5):
- K-30 has significally deeper grip, in fact , a tad to deep to my taste, however the pinky has its place on the grip. However I am not sure if my hand would feel OK after more time spent with camera, so I go for K-5, which has not so deep grip. Nevertheless, for compact camera, K-30 must be suited with the best grip, really good.

Overall: I was impressed by K-30.
my initial impression was the same ( after using K-x ,K-7 and K-5) but after taking 300photos I actually love it.
K-30 is lighter and smaller , that deep grip feels very secured while running around with biggish zooms
08-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've used the K-5 for two years and have been using the K-30 for the past month or so. Overall, I think I prefer shooting with the K-30... I just wish it had the K-5's add-on grip and a few of its ergonomic features. Overall, if Pentax can maintain the quality of the K-30 in the K-5 replacement, that'll be my dream camera.
08-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do any of you see a diff in image quality given the RAW bit depth difference?
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nothing appreciable for field use.

08-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
nope, although my images look sharper and more in focus than what the K-5 commonly gets.
08-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I forget where I saw it, but there's a comparison of the K-30 and K-5 using 5 stop underexposed RAWs of the same subject being recovered to normal exposure. I couldn't see any difference in IQ.
08-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, in practical terms, it sounds like the extra bit depth doesn't really buy you much
08-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening Spode,

• The K30 has a 12 bit Analog to Digital converter (you get 12 bits of information in each pixel), the K5 has a 14 bit A/D converter. Dynamic Range and shadows will be better with the K5 - especially in low light conditions.
[LIST][*]The K30 has a low ISO range of 100, while the K5 has a low ISO of 80. Again Dynamic Range and shadows will be better with the K5 - especially in low light conditions.

Imo the points about picture quality are irrelevant when choosing between those two cameras. No way anyone would notice a difference in real world usage. DSLR's came to a point that when choosing between cameras it comes down to handling, feel, shooting features, speed, and solid focus capabilities. The camera that you feel good with and has features that help you make the pictures you want will make good pictures, not the one that has more shadow recovery in post process

With that in mind, if you care about AF performance in your shooting style then go with the K30. If you prefer a more solid built and top LCD and perhaps more advanced bracketing features etc then go with the k5.
08-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #13

If there is no noticeable real world difference in image quality in all situations and It has been mentioned that if there is it would show up in low light situations then perhaps owners of both cameras, K5 and K30 could confirm this and how this presents itself in an image.
08-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I forget where I saw it, but there's a comparison of the K-30 and K-5 using 5 stop underexposed RAWs of the same subject being recovered to normal exposure. I couldn't see any difference in IQ.
Yeah, that's in the PF in-depth review.
08-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have used a friends K-30 and I almost like it better than the K-5, there is almost all the features of the K-5 and then some.

Video is obviously a big win for the K-30, more options, more control. Liveview is also faster and better.

The body itself feels better in my hands than the K-5, deeper grip, lighter, more balanced (my feeling).

But there are some features left (no provision for a grip, ultrasonic dust removal, battery life, top LCD, etc)

If I had to chose between them I would have a really hard time, I'd probably wait for Photokina (but the K-5 successor will be more expensive anyway).