Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
You sent all lenses to adjust without testing them? What if they didn't need the adjustment? :P
They did need adjustment, and they needed more adjustment than my K-30 could provide. I had previously calibrated my lenses to my K-x, and unfortunately it did not match my K-30. So I don't know if my K-x was out of whack, or it's my K-30, but the two cameras were clearly different.

While the micro-adjustment is a very nice feature on the K-30, it could clearly benefit from a larger range of adjustment. I've seen several other people on the forum mention having a lens that was beyond the calibration capabilities of the camera. It seems like it would be a simple firmware adjustment to allow greater calibration.

09-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #17

very nice set, but its definitely not a handheld set. On first sight they look sharp enough, but viewed on 100% they are not. They look a bit soft, but I think that's because you use f4. The only shot you did with a tripod is nice, but could use a bit more light. I liked to see that one with f11 and 1 or 2 stops more light. Did you shoot on automatic mode? Did you use in-camera noise reduction?

I,m in doubt now what camera to choose to fill the time gap till a fullframe pentax will be available. The cheap k30 or the (much more) expensive k5 IIs.
09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
They did need adjustment, and they needed more adjustment than my K-30 could provide. I had previously calibrated my lenses to my K-x, and unfortunately it did not match my K-30. So I don't know if my K-x was out of whack, or it's my K-30, but the two cameras were clearly different.

While the micro-adjustment is a very nice feature on the K-30, it could clearly benefit from a larger range of adjustment. I've seen several other people on the forum mention having a lens that was beyond the calibration capabilities of the camera. It seems like it would be a simple firmware adjustment to allow greater calibration.
I just bought my K-30 (will only arrive 2 weeks from now), and i'm hoping it will work with my Sigma 70-200 without adjustment, since the frontfocus problem with this lens varies by focal lenght.
Anyway, nice pictures (specially the car ones)
09-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
very nice set, but its definitely not a handheld set. On first sight they look sharp enough, but viewed on 100% they are not. They look a bit soft, but I think that's because you use f4.
With this lens, it is supposed to achieve near-maximum sharpness at f4. Photozone tested two copies (One Canon, one Nikon), and both lenses showed just a tiny improvement by stepping down to f5.6 at 300mm. On the Nikon copy, resolution measured just a hair higher at f8, but decreased after that. On the Canon copy, resolution decreased at f8.

I think that a major reason you're seeing some softness at 300mm/f4 is that you are dealing with a very thin focal plane, especially for near subjects. I think you can see this if you examine the picture of the fence post at 300mm. I believe the barbed wire was not perfectly perpendicular to the front of the lens, and I also do not think the fence post was perfectly vertical in relation to the camera. So if you examine the barbed wire and the fence post up close, you can see areas where sharpness is excellent, and other areas where it is soft. But what I think you're actually seeing is the focal plane slicing through portions of the subject.

If you look at the silver barbed wire knot just to the left of the post, you can see how sharp things can be at 300mm and f4. And if you also look at the rusted wire just in front of the silver knot, you can see that even though the two wires are very close to each other, the rusted wire is already slipping into the out-of-focus area, and is therefore softer.

One other thing I would point out in regards to sharpness, is that a lot of times I've noticed that when people post sample images to the forum, they usually post a version that has been downsized a good bit. In my opinion, that is cheating since you can't really judge lens sharpness without viewing the 100% output. I could downsize all of these images a bit and have them all looking razor sharp. But I wanted to post the full, unadulterated image to let people see how the lens really performs.

The only shot you did with a tripod is nice, but could use a bit more light. I liked to see that one with f11 and 1 or 2 stops more light. Did you shoot on automatic mode? Did you use in-camera noise reduction?
The police car pictures were taken inside of a garage facility at night, so it was not overly bright. The picture reflects the light levels of the actual scene. My "tripod" was actually an inverted bucket, and I had a hard time getting a stable shot with it even at f4 and 1/4 sec, so f11 + an extra stop or two of exposure would have been tricky. The last police car picture was taken with most of the garage lights turned off, so it's darker than the others. And the other car pictures were taken outside at night at a dealership.

Did you shoot on automatic mode? Did you use in-camera noise reduction?
I think the camera was probably in Manual exposure mode, but it may also have been Aperture Priority. And I was shooting RAW, so in-camera noise reduction doesn't apply (besides whatever NR is secretly built into the firmware). I also did not apply any noise reduction during processing since I was testing the lens sharpness and did not want to soften any fine detail.

I,m in doubt now what camera to choose to fill the time gap till a fullframe pentax will be available. The cheap k30 or the (much more) expensive k5 IIs.
With the recent price reductions of the K-30, you should be able to buy one now and then sell it later without losing much at all. That will probably not be the case for the new K-5 IIs for quite some time.

09-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #20

thanks for the reply Edgar.
I watched almost all your pics in 100%. Even that barn you shot with two different appertures. The f6.3 was better than the f4, but still not sharp enough imo. Though the front of the barn should be sharp if the focus was right.
That yellow thing on the barbed wire: The f4/100ISO one is sharp on the right place. The f10/200ISO one is not as sharp as the first one, probably because of the too slow shutterspeed in combination with the handheld technique.
But what i want to say is: Better always use a tripod with that kind of lenses. Shooting with 1/2000s isn't always a guarantee that your pic is razorsharp.

BTW: In my k20d i can set a noise reduction on higher ISO rates. Not anymore in the k30?

the silver barbed wire knot is indeed razor sharp.