08-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Another very positive in-depth review of the K-30

9.2/10 from digitalcamerainfo.com / cameras.reviewed.com:

Pentax K-30 Digital Camera Review - Reviewed.com cameras

08-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nice review. Very thorough. I just have a problem with them slightly dinging the image quality rating of the camera based on the use of one lens (18-135) which isn't even a prime.
08-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

This is a very nice review. I read it last night at DigitalCameraInfo.com (here). Oddly enough, that web site gives the K-30 an overall score of 7.8, even though it appears to be the very same review in both cases. At least this site gives it a 9.2.

I consider one of the more important quotes from the review to be the following. I've said the same thing myself several times here on PentaxForums:
We’re also less than impressed with the company’s choice of lens for the base $899.99 kit. All the kits we’ve seen online for the K-30 offer the standard, non-weatherproof 18-55mm kit lens. When you’ve got a weather proof camera that can possibly let dust and moisture in at the most crucial point in the camera—through the lens mount—then you don’t really have a weather-proof camera at all. Even the standard 18-55mm lens won’t let a great deal of dust in, but Pentax makes an 18-55mm weather-sealed lens for a reason, and there’s no reason for it to not be included here.
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
This is a very nice review. I read it last night at DigitalCameraInfo.com (here). Oddly enough, that web site gives the K-30 an overall score of 7.8, even though it appears to be the very same review in both cases. At least this site gives it a 9.2.

I consider one of the more important quotes from the review to be the following. I've said the same thing myself several times here on PentaxForums:
We’re also less than impressed with the company’s choice of lens for the base $899.99 kit. All the kits we’ve seen online for the K-30 offer the standard, non-weatherproof 18-55mm kit lens. When you’ve got a weather proof camera that can possibly let dust and moisture in at the most crucial point in the camera—through the lens mount—then you don’t really have a weather-proof camera at all. Even the standard 18-55mm lens won’t let a great deal of dust in, but Pentax makes an 18-55mm weather-sealed lens for a reason, and there’s no reason for it to not be included here.
Was told by one of the people presenting the K-30 tour today in NYC that the K-30 kit will include the 18-55WR in November.

08-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Was told by one of the people presenting the K-30 tour today in NYC that the K-30 kit will include the 18-55WR in November.
Interesting. One can only guess what has prompted those in change to make this change. As for me, I'm guessing their present $899 kit hasn't been received with the universal acclaim (or even silent apathy) that Pentax probably thought it would.
08-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting. One can only guess what has prompted those in change to make this change. As for me, I'm guessing their present $899 kit hasn't been received with the universal acclaim (or even silent apathy) that Pentax probably thought it would.
I don't believe that is true. Someone else mentioned that the rep said the k-30 was selling very well, to their expectations.

I just think Pentax is listening a lot better nowadays.
08-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #7

I don't believe that is true. Someone else mentioned that the rep said the k-30 was selling very well, to their expectations.

I just think Pentax is listening a lot better nowadays.
I didn't mean to imply that it isn't selling well. Based on my amateur observations, I, too, believe it is selling well. I actually meant the exact same thing that you wrote: Pentax appears to be "listening a lot better nowadays" (although this is the first instance I have seen of it). In my previous comment, I originally wrote, "...the WR camera plus non-WR lens combo is probably not being received with universal acclaim by the more vocal reviewers on the internet." For some reason, I thought that was too wordy, so I abbreviated it to the "present $899 kit." I definitely shouldn't have deleted the part about the more vocal reviewers.

When I abbreviate, I leave out too much. When I don't abbreviate, I write too much.

08-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ah sorry haha - yeah, they are probably responding to that criticism. But I think that's really good - I joined Pentax about a year and a half ago, and all I read on this forum was about how Pentax didn't listen, or that they didn't really care.
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Doesn't make sense, in the EU they launched it with the 18-55 WR kit lens, which is what I went for. Stupid not to do that in the US.
08-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #10

Don't take me wrong but how serious you can take a review when the reviewer don't know how to correctly expose a picture ??? As soon as I saw those sample pictures. I was like oh well if this guy doesn't know how to expose, what could I expect, then saw the product shots of the camera itself and damn I can take better than those... then jumped to see dynamic range. And the K-30 score 8.40 vs the K-5 score 7.73, the D7000 score a 7.40 and last the Canon 60D score 8.46 ?? In what earth the 60D have greater dynamic range than K-5/D7000/K-30 ?? And I own a 60D

I have no doubt the K-30 is a terrific camera and maybe I will jump ship with one !! but that review is worthless IMO..
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Cynical Supposition: When they exhaust their stock of non WR 18-55's) in November at current sales rates) they will change the US kit. In EU, where there are stronger consumer protection rules, they can't claim a WR camera (kit) w/o a WR lens.
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Cynical Supposition
My favorite kind (in certain circumstances).

When they exhaust their stock of non WR 18-55's) in November...
This was my guess also. If retailers eventually discount the K-30 kit with the non-WR lens far enough -- in order to clear their inventories --, I might buy one in spite of the lack of full weather resistance, because I will never shoot in the rain anyway (sprinkles, maybe, but not an outright rain).

But I'm getting tired of waiting!

In EU, where there are stronger consumer protection rules, they can't claim a WR camera (kit) w/o a WR lens.
This sounds like the most reasonable supposition. Almost everything is about "corporate protection" in the U.S. We are all just pawns (a means to an end) in a pathetic corporate/U.S. government game.
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #13

this is not the same site is it because they only give it a 7.8 Pentax K-30 Digital Camera Review - DigitalCamerainfo.com
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with production? Maybe they had a ton of 18 - 55s laying around and the K-30 was ready for shipment so they pushed it out with the kit lens because they did not have enough 18- 55 WR lenses to slap on all the K-30s they made?
08-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by azma Quote
this is not the same site is it because they only give it a 7.8 Pentax K-30 Digital Camera Review - DigitalCamerainfo.com
I posted this comment:

audiobomber•2 hours ago −
The K-30 has two control wheels, a huge feature that none of the price competition can match. I'm wondering whether you just shoot in Green mode and didn't notice that the K-30 has advanced controls compared to other mid-level bodies.

Damnit, I just noticed the typo. Now and I sound cranky AND illiterate.