Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #16
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
......- the VR is better than the built in stabilization of Pentax (hey, I use both brands so I am making a user based comparison) and the silence of the built in motor is fabulous - this is really worthwhile if you are into birdwatching. It is worth the price premium....

The problem is that price premium gets out of hand fast. The DA*300mm as an example. Nikkor doesn't have a true match for it (that I could find), their 300mm f4 lens isn't a VR or WR lens and it's about $300 more than the DA*(new). To get a VR 300mm you'd be forced (in the Nikkor line) to go with the 300mm f2.8 VRII, which is $5700... So now your forced to sacrifice SR&WR and pay more, or sacrifice about $4600 for VR.

Not bashing you, just pointing out that people really need to look at what they want system wise, then see which is affordable. It's nice to dream about a system, but you can't mount a dream if a (whichever) system is out of reach.

Last edited by Riv; 08-11-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks you guys! I greatly appreciate your feedback on all of this! I am going today to give them ONE more test...and then make up my mine ha.
08-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #18

I agree w/jlaubza. Been wanting to get the K-30 and Pentax in general but coupled with the fact that getting to see on in person is next to impossible, having to deal with mail order, and the risk of getting one with issues is really driving me bonkers. About the only issue I've read about the D5100 is it is susceptible to card issues. As we've all seen, so far, there have been a few problems right out of the gate with some of the K-30s purchased so far. No one disputes the quality of the pics and it's ability, what I have a concern is with its quality. I'll be watching the threads over the next couple months and really would like to get this for myself for Christmas, maybe with the WR 18-55 lens.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and reading the review and wathcing everyone here. Glad to be here and I'll pop in and out every once in a while.
08-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ask the same question in nikon forum just for fun.
The answer is simple:
If you like MF old lenses - pentax,
If you want AF lenses cheaper and better than pentax ones - nikon!

08-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

For the D5100 to be a viable option, you really have to look at the lenses you want. It doesn't have a built-in focus motor so AF lenses without their own focus motor will give you full auto exposure but manual focus. If you can find all the lenses you'll want with an AF motor, then no problem. Otherwise you might as well cross it off the list.
08-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

For me its about comfort and ease of use. Both cameras are great and will do everything that you need.

For me Pentax feels more natural and in the end I use it a lot.

It's like hiking boots. Many do the same thing and have great features but if they dont fit quite right they stay in your closet.

One difference me me is the sealing. I shoot concerts. During one music festival shoot, it started raining pretty hard and the canikon people covered their cameras. Me...I was able to just keep shooting and I got the shot that no one else got.
08-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Unless someone knows different, I can't see any similar Nikon lenses as good as the Pentax 35/2.4 at the price. f1.8 cheap ones that are poor at f2.4 yes, but the Pentax is good wide open.
08-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
5100D? Is there any contest?
.......Next better player......

D5100
Pros
------
1. More silent focusing lenses
2. Better branding
3. Better Flash system for wireless applications (only IF you are using expensive Nikon flashes for all the flashes)

Cons
-------
1. Need lenses with AF motor (that rules out a significant chuck of the the good or good/cheap lenses) ; not to mention that it can be a hassle when upgrading.
2. Sensor performance is not on par with K30
3. Flash commander system is great, but you need all your flashes to be the expensive Nikon ones.
4. No in camera shake reduction

K30
Pros
------
1. Weather sealed
2. Smaller lenses (a joy to use and carry)
3. On camera shake reduction
4. Available cheap weather sealed lenses to make use of that camera weather seal
5. Better sensor (still the best out there for APS-C)
6. Supports use of legacy lenses (in other words, buy a cheap manual lens for those areas of photography you only have marginal interest in and save money that way)
7. Looks cooler

The Pentax flash system is pretty fine. Used with set ISO and not auto ISO, there is usually no problem at all.
The Nikon is only better for its flash command/control system, but that is costly (needing all Nikon branded flashes)
The typical strobist uses a mish mash of flashes and rather cheap radio flash triggers anyway.

new user here - tempted with a 5100 or K30 - but I'm a bit confused by your above comment re the K30 sensor

I thought the D5100 used the same sensor (as good as) the D7000 ? which is also same one as K5

that plus the fact the D5100 and K5 take a 14bit reading off that sensor to RAW, vs 12 bit on the K30 - I don't understand the comment stating the K30 sensor is better ?

08-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
the two big things to me for the K30 would be the better viewfinder (100 percent pentaprism) and two control wheels.
+1, fore sure. I own neither camera, held neither camera, but these two attributes are definitely biggies, from all that I read. After that, some claim that lens micro-focus adjustment is a pretty important thing, and something on my must have list for body next. K30 has that; not sure about D5100.
08-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckster Quote
new user here - tempted with a 5100 or K30 - but I'm a bit confused by your above comment re the K30 sensor

I thought the D5100 used the same sensor (as good as) the D7000 ? which is also same one as K5

that plus the fact the D5100 and K5 take a 14bit reading off that sensor to RAW, vs 12 bit on the K30 - I don't understand the comment stating the K30 sensor is better ?
D5100 has the articulating screen. That is all it has going for it over the K-30 as a body.

As others have said, look at the lenses. They will be with you a lot longer.

There is still something to be said for the bodies though. I find Pentax ergonomics the best-thought-out of any maker. Even my little K-x is just great to manipulate one-handed. The K-30 is even better.
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #26
Inactive Account

K-30 vs nikon D5100

I am no professional photographer, although i am no slouch at it either i guess, since i have been paid for some photo shoots.
I am responding to the choice between a pentax k30 or the nikon D5100.
I have never owned the k30 but i have now owned the D5100 twice, I am a previous owner of a k5 twice, kr and kx.
I have taken thousands and thousands of photos with all of these cameras with various lenses from 35 primes, 50 primes, 85mm primes, various zoom lenses.
When it comes to my heart i wanna have a pentax in my hand, it just feels so, so good. so dont anyone think im partial to nikon or pentax.
Since i guess im not a professional and i like simple and great image quality without breaking the bank, ill stick with the D5100 for a few simple reasons....
1, readily available lenses at most higher end electronic stores. (I am impatient and i do not want to wait for stuff in the mail.... pentax lenses for instance
2,The mode dial, it has portrait mode on it, it has sports mode right on it, it has landscape right on it. ( Are you listening pentax?)
3, The folding lcd screen, Big Big plus.
4.The k-5 and the D5100 has very very simular image quality using a 50mm 1.8 auto focus lens, so i would assume that the k30 would be in the same league.
5, the image stabalization in the pentax body is a plus for sure, unless you are shooting at longer focal distances and that is where the lens stabalization in the lens is prefered.
6.Here is my hypothetical perfect dslr, ( if anyone knows of this camera let me know!!!)
The build quality of a k5 but taller( for my big hands), Swivel lcd, sensor of k5,k30,d5100 or d7000, Mode dial of d5100, 7 fps or more, 5 exposure HDR, built it focus motor, Image stabalization, weather sealed with a kit lens that is also weather sealed in a 28-75 2.8 lens. For around 1500.00 Listen up camera companies, Those features would make a multi million seller in my book.
09-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
HSV
Veteran Member

I would suggest to first take into the account the theoretical cost of the whole system, that should include body, lenses you "need", accessories (battery grip and flash, maybe).

I think that for a "beginning" kit: body, 2nd battery, walk around zoom, and prime (35 or 50mm)...the D5100 should be way cheaper (at least in the used market). It's also older and it will lack a bunch of features that probably nobody will miss.

On the other side...honestly, the K-30 is the best looking DSLR ever.
09-09-2012, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eastkywildlifeman Quote
I am no professional photographer, although i am no slouch at it either i guess, since i have been paid for some photo shoots.
I am responding to the choice between a pentax k30 or the nikon D5100.
I have never owned the k30 but i have now owned the D5100 twice, I am a previous owner of a k5 twice, kr and kx.
I have taken thousands and thousands of photos with all of these cameras with various lenses from 35 primes, 50 primes, 85mm primes, various zoom lenses.
When it comes to my heart i wanna have a pentax in my hand, it just feels so, so good. so dont anyone think im partial to nikon or pentax.
Since i guess im not a professional and i like simple and great image quality without breaking the bank, ill stick with the D5100 for a few simple reasons....
1, readily available lenses at most higher end electronic stores. (I am impatient and i do not want to wait for stuff in the mail.... pentax lenses for instance
2,The mode dial, it has portrait mode on it, it has sports mode right on it, it has landscape right on it. ( Are you listening pentax?)
3, The folding lcd screen, Big Big plus.
4.The k-5 and the D5100 has very very simular image quality using a 50mm 1.8 auto focus lens, so i would assume that the k30 would be in the same league.
5, the image stabalization in the pentax body is a plus for sure, unless you are shooting at longer focal distances and that is where the lens stabalization in the lens is prefered.
6.Here is my hypothetical perfect dslr, ( if anyone knows of this camera let me know!!!)
The build quality of a k5 but taller( for my big hands), Swivel lcd, sensor of k5,k30,d5100 or d7000, Mode dial of d5100, 7 fps or more, 5 exposure HDR, built it focus motor, Image stabalization, weather sealed with a kit lens that is also weather sealed in a 28-75 2.8 lens. For around 1500.00 Listen up camera companies, Those features would make a multi million seller in my book.
Does anyone actually use the sports mode, portrait mode and landscape mode? I guess I personally would rather use Av or, TAv mode and know what my settings are, then use some unknown mode, where the camera decides what happens.

Truthfully, Pentax cameras with their green button make shooting manual accessible to even beginners, since even if you get way off base with your settings, you can be back with the touch of a button.