Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 colors; which did you buy?

Was curious as to which color K-30 most members are buying or which color they like the best?

Here in the US we are limited to three choices; matte black, glossy blue, and glossy white.

My first thought was that I was definitely going to buy the blue, just because it is a new color that Pentax is offering and just looks really cool and sporty. Then common sense kicked in and I thought about pulling the trigger on a classic black one instead of going bold. After sleeping on that thought, I've decided against black and am now thinking about white. So hard to decided- I like all the colors.

Photos don't belong to me, just showing them as examples because the photographers captured the true colors nicer than the advertisements/stock photos.

08-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I love the color of the blue, but am not fond of the glossy finish. I also wanted the 18-135 so I ended up with black. I'm extremely pleased with my choice!
08-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I handled all three at the Atlanta stop of the K-30 Tour and I really like the Blue. It's more subdued in person than the photo in your post but it's definitely not black either.
08-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If I was getting one I would get the blue. I really like the blue.

08-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

I purchased the blue after B&H misrepresented the fact that they had the silky (matte) finish when they did not. I don't really like the glossy finish, but it is not a bad as some of the pictures I have seen.

I looked at the white but was concerned that dirt/stains etc show up too prominently. I was going to get the black but then decided that a) I don't buy a new camera very often b) there are not many times when I get a color option on a camera and c) I wanted to really have some fun with the camera. Certainly people are going to have opinions about a colored camera, but the fun thing is that it can potentially spark some interesting conversations. Also, I only shoot casually - if I was semi-pro I might have made another choice.
08-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #6

I WANT the blue..but costco is currently out of it..so I will probably get the white
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

As a Gator fan I had to go with the Blue. It is really a gorgeous looking camera and will really stand out when I am out and about taking photos. I know tons of people are going to ask to see it just because of the color and how great it looks.

u2gator

08-11-2012, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #8

i really really wish the yellow was available here in the US....i would MUCH prefer that one. i found it on ebay but it would come from Japan..I would much prefer to buy it from a US store
08-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #9

i got the beautiful blue one from amazon
08-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Another Blue here
08-11-2012, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went with the glossy white K-30 to replace my white K-x. I was very tempted by the blue, but I just can't get over how good and how unique the white/black looks on a DSLR. Here are a couple pictures of my K-30 that I've already posted in other threads. (The pictures were taken with my Olympus E-P1)

The finish on my white K-x still looked like new after two years of heavy use and almost 50,000 shutter actuations, so I'm hopeful that my K-30 will hold up as well.

08-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

blue from B&H
08-11-2012, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I love the color of the blue, but am not fond of the glossy finish. I also wanted the 18-135 so I ended up with black. I'm extremely pleased with my choice!
Same here, I've seen pictures of the matte blue one that they have over in Asia and I like how that one looks much better than the glossy.

Enjoy your new camera/lens.
08-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I handled all three at the Atlanta stop of the K-30 Tour and I really like the Blue. It's more subdued in person than the photo in your post but it's definitely not black either.
I saw all three of them in person as well at the product tour, but I still thought that the blue was a tiny bit too shiny for my liking...
08-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by synapsestorm Quote
a) I don't buy a new camera very often b) there are not many times when I get a color option on a camera and c) I wanted to really have some fun with the camera. Certainly people are going to have opinions about a colored camera, but the fun thing is that it can potentially spark some interesting conversations.
Exactly the reasons why I want something new and interesting; not a cookie-cutter black camera- any Canikon owner can get their hands on one of those. Pentax is the only brand I've seen with colored DSLRS (with the exception of the Nikon D3100/D3200, I've seen those in a glossy maroon color, but they were more expensive than the plain black ones), so why not take advantage of it?

I agree that the camera will draw some attention.