Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How's AF like in the dark?

Last night I took a couple of night time flash shots of a hedgehog in my garden using a P&S WB650 and it got me thinking. A K-30 will be able to do this easy, yes/no? I know my K100D would struggle even with an external flash with its assist light, but the point is I want to be able to quickly rush out and take shots like this just using the popup flash - speed and no messing around being of prime concern - if I had to fiddle around with a hot shoe flash I probably wouldn't have bothered for a one time shot for fear the shot opportunity may be gone by the time I'm ready. So, anyone tried AF in the dark where you can hardly see to walk at say 3ft + popup flash and got sharp results with high keeper rate?

08-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #2

Not sure of K30, but K5 has focus assist light so it will manage. Of course you will need some flash as welll.
08-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a question about the same topic with a good response...
08-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Not sure of K30, but K5 has focus assist light so it will manage. Of course you will need some flash as welll.
I think you meant 'it SHOULD manage'. I know it ought to be able to do it with the assist light, but does it actually. Only real-life experience counts here.

08-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had good success with the K10D and flash assit light, dont see why the K5 would be different?
I've the K5 but never tried it.
08-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The reason P&S work so well in these situations is because of the sensor size and DOF. P&S have very small sensors with deeps/large depth of field. They also come with focus assist lights. Their af system doesn't have to work very hard as most of the time they are hyper focal (everything is in focus) at the ranges you generally shoot.

A DSLR will take more work to get a proper picture but it does give you the possibility to get a lot better picture than the P&S can.

I gives you the possibility to use a proper large aperture lens, higher cleaner iso and better subject isolation through the use of shallow depth of field.

So, with proper tools the DSLR will focus just as fine but you need to know what you're doing. If you want to use it as a P&S a P&S will be better at it .
08-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K-30 does feature the focus assist lamp like the K-5, but as stated the P&S smaller sensor results in a much larger DOF so nailing the shot is far easier.

08-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've spend some hours in night club type of lighting over 2 different occasions and have so been been positively surprised by the K-30.

I ended up using flash in both occasions because I panicked (used flash so I could use smaller aperture) but in both occasion it turned out, the pre-panic photos very as they should be.

My problem is, I need to put more trust into my K-30 :P
08-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I've spend some hours in night club type of lighting over 2 different occasions and have so been been positively surprised by the K-30.

I ended up using flash in both occasions because I panicked (used flash so I could use smaller aperture) but in both occasion it turned out, the pre-panic photos very as they should be.

My problem is, I need to put more trust into my K-30 :P
Thank you. That gives me confidence.