Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Built-in Flash ?

Hi Everyone.

I just got my first Pentax and my first K30. The reviews and comments on this site have been very helpful.

It appears like for the auto flash function to work in the built in flash, I must first pop the flash to the up position. Is this correct or should it automatically pop up the flash as needed? Any related tips would be greatly appreciated.

08-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer on the k-5 is yes you have to push the button. However, I was certain on the k-x that it would pop automatically in some modes. But I just checked the manual and it says you have to push the button. Possibly it depends on what mode you are in. But I have not used the k-x in quite awhile.

I realize you are asking about the k-30 though. Did you check the manual? Also look under the flash menu on the camera, I think that is the down arrow. Does it have an 'auto' setting?
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Aboard!

You do have to push the button to raise it. You will get a prompt in the viewfinder that the camera would appreciate using the flash but it will not pop it up for you.
08-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Try it in P (program mode). it should raise it automatically.

I suggest you learn more about exposure and start using Av setting more often. You need to be in control of your camera.

08-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Doubt it will do in P mode though but surprise me
If it should pop-up automatically then green mode is the mode it does it in.

tips...
Dont use the build in flash is a great tip, maybe just for fill light when outside on a sunny day but dont use it because its to dark,
Just up the ISO, till 3200 you should get quite usable images
08-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just reviewed the K-30 manual and learned something new. The K-30 has MORE flash modes than the K-5! Yes, that's right - Pentax added flash options to the K-30 that are not available for the K-5.

Flash Symbol + A = "Automatically measures the ambient light and determines whether to use the flash."

Flash + Eye + A = "Discharges a pre-flash for red-eye reduction before the automatic flash."

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.
12-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #7

No, you have to raise it manually.
Look for the flashing flash indicator in the view finder, if it's flashing then it is suggesting you use the flash. Push the button on the side of the flash and when you take the shot the flash will fire. On the K-x in auto flash mode the flash would pop up automatically if the camera wanted to use it. On the K-30 you have to do that manually, which begs the question why have an auto flash mode that doesn't actually automatically use the flash?

If you have the flash raised and set to auto, the camera will only fire the flash if it thinks it needs to. Not sure why they have changed it, I preferred the way the K-x was setup even though I generally had it set to manual.

12-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by graym3546 Quote
No, you have to raise it manually.
Look for the flashing flash indicator in the view finder, if it's flashing then it is suggesting you use the flash. Push the button on the side of the flash and when you take the shot the flash will fire. On the K-x in auto flash mode the flash would pop up automatically if the camera wanted to use it. On the K-30 you have to do that manually, which begs the question why have an auto flash mode that doesn't actually automatically use the flash?

If you have the flash raised and set to auto, the camera will only fire the flash if it thinks it needs to. Not sure why they have changed it, I preferred the way the K-x was setup even though I generally had it set to manual.
I've been "yelled" at in a museum becaude my flash fired when I really didn't want it to... but in fairness, the camera couldn't possibly have know it was on top of a tripod.

Perhaps the reason the auto pop up was left out is because the programmers who wrote the firmware and the engineers who designed the pop-up mechanism decided, "...hey we think you might want to use the flash, but if you want to do it your way... go right ahead... but don't say we didn't warn you."

I have a small Panasonic P+S and it drives me crazy when the flash fires because it thinks it should... even though I'm braced up against a door frame. I've taken to forcing the flash off until such time as I turn it on myself.
12-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

On the K-30 there is no way for the flash to pop up automatically no matter what they do in the firmware, The flash pop up button is just a mechanical thing - there is no actuator solenoid or such as there is in the K-r.

I personally prefer it that way (not automatic pop up). If you want to let the camera decide whether or not to use the flash just pop it up and the Auto or Program mode can still decide whether or not to shoot it. If you want to make sure it does not fire just close it rather than having to go into the menus to make sure it is set to off.

On the K-r I find it quite annoying when it pops up automatically. I particularly dislike the fact that the same button is used for delete so just pressing the button at the wrong time pops up the flash.
12-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
On the K-30 there is no way for the flash to pop up automatically no matter what they do in the firmware, The flash pop up button is just a mechanical thing - there is no actuator solenoid or such as there is in the K-r.

I personally prefer it that way (not automatic pop up). If you want to let the camera decide whether or not to use the flash just pop it up and the Auto or Program mode can still decide whether or not to shoot it. If you want to make sure it does not fire just close it rather than having to go into the menus to make sure it is set to off.

On the K-r I find it quite annoying when it pops up automatically. I particularly dislike the fact that the same button is used for delete so just pressing the button at the wrong time pops up the flash.
From what I can tell, the K-30 flash will always fire in P mode when popped up. It treats the scene as a fill-flash exposure.
01-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Indeed flash in K-30 in P mode seems to be in Fill mode - I need to admit that this is a bit strange and never had this issue with my k100d. I could easily take photos of moving human's at low light without any issues.

Right now in K-30 once the flash is opened the shutter goes down as 1/15 and the picture suffers from motion blur.

The only way to moving object sharp is to switch to Tv mode 1/100 or to go SCN and choose Fast move then I get 1/180.