Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #1

Can't use non-A lenses with K30

Hi,

I have not been able to achieve stop-down metering with any of my non-A lenses on the K-30... Pictures can be taken but regardless of aperture set by the ring, all photos are taken and metered at the widest aperture...

Aperture ring is enabled, raw button is set to optical review, AE-L is set, green button has been pressed, focus is set to manual, dials and button have been customised, user 1&2 settings have been tried; instruction manual, forums, guides for old bodies have been read...

BTW, Manual mode does not exist regardless of top dial setting, when using non-A lenses; the only settings are Av, bulb and movie; optical review only works in the bulb setting but there is of course no metering...

Newer lenses (with A-button and newer) work without a glitch!

Please help!!

Sincere thanks!!

P/S the same thread has been posted on d-revi-w

08-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #2

Original Poster
Ooops... just worked it out!

Just changed ISO to manual in Manual mode... and it works!!!

Phew!
08-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this out as a guide for using your manual lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
08-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #4

I am fairly sure it worked for me. Made all the right noises when I pressed the green button when set in M mode.
It is rather fiddly and I prefer to use AV mode by attaching the manual focus lens and then backing it off about 10 degrees.
I set the lens on F22 and rotate it out until the aperture blades close to their smallest aperture then leave the lens in that position for AV mode to work.
The lens is working in stop down mode like a Takumar but the K30 prismatic viewfinder is such an improvement over my KX that I can still get a focus confirmation beep at F11 and I can see more detail in the target for focus.

You can pick your favourite manual focus lens and fine tune its focus with the global settings before tuning your auto focus lenses.
I have a bunch of manual focus lenses and find that they often have inconsistent focus and it would be good to have a different global setting for a few.
I read in a Forum that you may be able to use the personal configuration menus to do this but I didn't make notes.

The K30 makes AF so accurate that the manual focus lens have lost some of their charm. I have an AF 50/1.4 that now really preforms well. It seems primitive to try an use a Takumar 1.4 to score better bokeh and sharpness when lots of the shots are duds.

I don't know what the secret of success is for manual focus lenses. My best performer is a Canon 550D using an Olympus 50/1.8 with an EMF adapter ring that can tune the adapter to the lens and camera.

08-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevcol Quote
I don't know what the secret of success is for manual focus lenses. My best performer is a Canon 550D using an Olympus 50/1.8 with an EMF adapter ring that can tune the adapter to the lens and camera.
To get the best of fast lenses (f/2 or faster eg F/1.4) you really need a better focusing screen.

The stock screen can only really show down to F/2 depth of field accurately, as they have been optimised to be bright for lenses with slow max apertures eg F/5.6.

From many accounts the canon s-type screen is on of the best for manual focusing fast lenses. check out Focusing Screen to see some screens for your camera.

The main drawback is the screens will be darker than the stock screen if the max aperture is slow like with a 400mm F/5.6 will be noticeably darker.

Edit: some people have also reported metering issues with their camera after changing screens.
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes in order for the green button to work you must have a hard-set ISO, otherwise it cannot give a solid reading for the shutter speed because of the variable ISO.
08-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Using K-30 With Older Lenses | Pentax Support
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #8

When you set the K-30 (K-5, etc.) to use an old M lens or M-42 screw-mount lens, do you afterward have to go back into the menus and manually reset the camera to use an AF lens again? Or will it do that automatically as soon as one is mounted on it? If it does it automatically, does that mean it will lose the manual settings? Or will they always stay on by default until you specifically turn them off again? [Or are the manual settings lost when the camera is turned off?]

I would like to think that the K-30 (K-5, etc.) is designed in such a way that you can continue to use both types of lenses on the fly even after you have set it to work with old manual (M) lenses. However, if that is true, then it makes no sense why the manual settings are turned of by default at the factory.

Last edited by Welfl; 08-15-2012 at 07:11 AM.
08-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
When you set the K-30 (K-5, etc.) to use an old M lens or M-42 screw-mount lens, do you afterward have to go back into the menus and manually reset the camera to use an AF lens again? Or will it do that automatically as soon as one is mounted on it? If it does it automatically, does that mean it will lose the manual settings? Or will they always stay on by default until you specifically turn them off again? [Or are the manual settings lost when the camera is turned off?]

I would like to think that the K-30 (K-5, etc.) are designed in such a way that you can continue to use both types of lenses on the fly after even you have set it to work with old manual (M) lenses. However, if that is true, then it makes no sense why the manual settings are turned of by default at the factory.
I have only 3 manual focus lenses: Pentax M 1,4/50mm, Tokina 2,8/28mm and Samyang 6,3/500mm. When you take them off and mount a DA or FA lens they will be identified by the camera (through their electric contacts), but you ought to re-engage AF (in case you have switched it off before). Once you have enabled the "allow aperture ring" function for older lenses it will always stay enabled even after swapping lenses and/or powering off the camera.

Another thing to consider is when you are using Shake Reduction: if you swap MF lenses while camera is on you ought to manually set the focal length in order for the SR to work accurate. If you swap a MF lens while camera is off you will be prompted by the focal length setting upon powering on.

cheers,
d
08-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Curious about the focal length thing.

If the shake reduction needs to know the focal length in order to work, how does it work with older zooms that can't transmit current length data to the camera?

ie: I have an old 70-210 Pentax A that I use a lot on my Ist, if I put it on a K30 it would ask for the focal length (I presume it asks for a range? ie: 70 - 210 rather than assuming everything is a prime?)

if so, how does it know when the lens is zoomed to 70mm, or 210mm? or some inbetween point?

Or doesn't it matter?
08-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It does not ask for a range as it does not even know that it's a zoom. Search for posts by m42man; he did some research and came up with a formula to give the 'optimum' once-off setting.
08-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
Once you have enabled the "allow aperture ring" function for older lenses it will always stay enabled even after swapping lenses and/or powering off the camera.
Thank you very much! That's the answer I was hoping for.

P.S. For some inexplicable reason, I had a lot of difficulty last night finding the right words to make my question as precise and brief as possible. I rewrote it several times, but finally gave up and just posted that ugly mess of words. As soon as I woke up this morning, my still mostly asleep brain came up with the best and briefest question. It was very similar to your sentence that I just quoted.

Last edited by Welfl; 08-15-2012 at 07:34 AM.
08-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
ie: I have an old 70-210 Pentax A that I use a lot on my Ist, if I put it on a K30 it would ask for the focal length (I presume it asks for a range? ie: 70 - 210 rather than assuming everything is a prime?)

if so, how does it know when the lens is zoomed to 70mm, or 210mm? or some inbetween point?
The last two paragraphs at the link that "Not A Number" provides above say this (the last sentence is most relevant to your question):
Note: If Shake Reduction is enabled when using an older lens, you will need to manually select the closest matching focal length from the Input Focal Length menu. To do this:

Turn the camera off. Mount the non-"A" series lens. Turn the camera on.

The Input Focal Length screen will appear. Use the rear e-dial to select a focal length which is closest to the focal length of the lens you are using. If you are using a zoom lens, choose a focal length close to the midpoint of the zoom range of the camera. Press the OK button when you have made a selection.
Sterretje's advice above (at 5:15 AM) may be even more helpful.
08-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, turn off SR and shoot 2x the shutter speed you normally would.
08-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Thank you very much! That's the answer I was hoping for.

P.S. For some inexplicable reason, I had a lot of difficulty last night finding the right words to make my question as precise and brief as possible. I rewrote it several times, but finally gave up and just posted that ugly mess of words. As soon as I woke up this morning, my still mostly asleep brain came up with the best and briefest question. It was very similar to your sentence that I just quoted.
You are welcome. Cameras have become complex and our simple brains sometimes have difficulties with it. Reading and understanding posts on forums has become even more hard. Sometimes approaching strategy of a investigative detective is good, sometimes reading between the lines helps.

To jump back on topic: Pentax offers the most remarkable backward compatibility on the market. I find it amazing that I can plunge a Samyang T2 mirror-refractor lens on my K-r and have it work in Av mode. It will also give me an accurate focus confirmation with it.

cheers,
d