08-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gizmodo review of K-30

Source:
Pentax K-30 Review: Tough Body, Sensitive Soul
Quote:
"Should You Buy It?

Maybe, especially if you're planning to wander into a hurricane or a blizzard. (That's probably a bad idea, and even if you're going to do it, you should bring something that shoots better video.)

This camera's image quality is impressive. It shot still photos beautifully. To get the most of out of it, you need to spring for the pricier glass—the cheap kit package looks attractive, but it's too limited.

There's one other factor to consider—upcoming changes in the product category. If you're planning a purchase in this class of camera, wait on the reviews of the new Canon T4i, and the anticipated update to Nikon's two-year-old D7000, before buying anything. Once they arrive, it will be much clearer idea which entry-level DSLR is the best product—and which is the best deal."
---------------------

Video actually looks bad in their test shot. He did something wrong? I am not sure if anyone shoot video handheld without any stabilizing tool though...
(Please don't say 'buy a video to shoot video', everyone wants video shooting in DSLR now, especially K-30 is an 'entry/mid-level DSLR')

Other than that, it is just sad that reviewer asking people to hold out to see what Canon and Nikon offer..... really?

Lee

08-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yuk, Gawker...
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
(Please don't say 'buy a video to shoot video',
Buy a video camera if you want to shoot video. There I said it....... Everyone is a little too inclusive, I certainly have no need or want for video, never used it on k-x or k-5, wouldn't know how to turn it on. But I agree it is a major selling point especially to younger generation. Even if they never use it, it is hard to buy a camera without it, "just in case", it seems like another comparison point you have to have.

Well they are entitled to their opinion, it was a review, not a sales pitch. But the "review" seems a bit shallow, I doubt they spent very much time with the camera.
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

"Wait for the review of the T4i"

It sucks.

"Wait for the upcoming replacement of the D7000"

Wrong class. It's the D5200 to watch.

08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Their review kinda sucks. I ranted a little at them in the comments.
08-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Wow what a load of shit. The T4i (650D) is an ok camera but is not weather sealed or have a 100% VF. Those swively swovely LCD screens are prone to breaking and the fact that it's touch sensitive is just asking for more trouble. The T4i is made for soccer moms and no one else.

The Nikon D7000 is a better comparison though the reviewer tells you to wait for it's replacement. Wrong. You either get the K30 or the D7K. The D7K is about 200-300 euro more than the K30 and it's replacement is bound to be atleast 500 euro more expensive and have more features (some have speculated that the D400 or D600 will actually replace the D7k).
08-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

As far as the T4i, you might want to make sure you get one without the allergenic grip issue
Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : Consumer & Home Office

As far as the review. Gizmodo knows very little about cameras. They just needed to write this to get eyeballs to view ads.
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qwertyazerty Quote
Wow what a load of shit. The T4i (650D) is an ok camera but is not weather sealed or have a 100% VF. Those swively swovely LCD screens are prone to breaking and the fact that it's touch sensitive is just asking for more trouble. The T4i is made for soccer moms and no one else.

The Nikon D7000 is a better comparison though the reviewer tells you to wait for it's replacement. Wrong. You either get the K30 or the D7K. The D7K is about 200-300 euro more than the K30 and it's replacement is bound to be atleast 500 euro more expensive and have more features (some have speculated that the D400 or D600 will actually replace the D7k).
Again - the K-30 competitor will have to be the D5200. Even the D3200, albeit priced so close at $100 less, is the entry level model, and is lacking a ton of features.

The T4i is the correct competitor for the K-30, since the classic Canon entry level is the T3/1100D, so the replacement Canon entry level will be the T4.

As far as the comparison goes - the T4i's image quality and high ISO is most likely not equal to the k-30, and the AF probably isn't ahead of the k-30 either. So...