Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

Yes, this is a newbie question

So, I got my K30..I LOVE IT. I read the user manual from front to back and need to re read it because Im sure I did NOT comprehend everything. Especially since this is my first Dslr.

Now the question In "AUTO" mode when I press the ISO button (the up button) It allows me to turn the dial and change the ISO up or down ex it can say 100 - 400 and I can change it to say 100-800 or 200-800...but when I go back to the screen after that mode it says ISO AUTO...so am I actually changing the ISO oooorrr what?

and please explain it to me like you are talking to a 5 year old. I know that sounds odd but I am NOT a techie and i will be honest with you i understand things better if they are broken down kindergarten style. You will not insult my by doing that haha

08-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're changing the automatic ISO range. In AUTO, the camera will choose which ISO for the scene to be taken within the given range.
08-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are 2 different ISO/Sensitivity modes.

Manual: You pick a single ISO setting (e.g. 400) and the camera will only use that ISO.
Automatic: This could also be referred to as variable. You pick a range of ISO values (e.g. 100 ~ 400) and the camera will automatically set the ISO within the range you specify, based on its exposure algorithm.

Here's an example scenario:
You set the ISO to 100 and put the camera mode on Green (fully auto). Based on the metering system's readings, the camera selects a shutter speed of 1/15 and an aperture of f/4.
Now, change the ISO to auto with a range of 100 to 400. Now you set up the exact same composition. This time the camera sees you put it on auto ISO, so instead of 1/15s the camera uses 1/60 and it increases the sensitivity (ISO) from 100 to 400.

If you aren't yet fully up to speed with the exposure triangle ( Shutter, Aperture & ISO) and how they work together - I highly, emphatically recommend Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure. You can pick up a copy from Amazon for $16 and it is more than worth the money.
08-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are not changing the ISO in auto ISO mode, but you are setting the desired range. e.g. 100-400. Camera will decide what ISO to use within "that" range which you had set.

08-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
ISO Auto Mode

Setting the ISO range and especially the upper limit is very useful. With this all three parameters (Shutter, Aperture & ISO) are adjusted automatically, but a very high ISO with corresponding noise can be avoided. I prefer manual settings with high ISO and AUTO mode only for low to moderate ISO (e.g. 100-800).

The K-30 is my first DSLR after a long time (15 years) without using my analog NIkon F-501. And I am so happy, that the usabillity of K-30 is so similar to this good old time. Especially the good viewfinder with good readability of shooting parameters is wonderful and I keep the LCD display switched-off most of the time. If necessary the ISO can still be changed with the control wheels and the ISO value is then displayed in the viewfinder.

P.S.: May be "ISO Auto Mode" as posting subject is more meaningful than original "Yes, this is a newbie question"?
08-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
sorry you guys I REALLY should have been more clear in my post.I ment to ask if I was changing the range. But thanks for the info!