Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Another K-30 First Impressions

I've never bought a camera so soon after it's release so I was figuring I would probably send it back, but it's a keeper.The autofocus is better. The viewfinder is astonishingly clear. ( What, I can manual focus again even with my bad eyes?) The dynamic range is impressive. The RAW files truly great and very malleable. The camera is nicely responsive. The egonomics are mostly excellent. It does not in any way look like a running shoe to me, as some critics said it did. I really love it and as I said I'm keeping it.

Last edited by jeff knight; 10-02-2012 at 11:30 AM.
08-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

I, for one, appreciate this type of review. I never put any company on a pedestal just because I love their products. In fact, I stubbornly hold them to the higher standards that they themselves originally set. If there are flaws or intentionally crippled elements of their newest products, I am the first to complain -- very loudly -- because I expect better of a company that usually makes great products. I am especially annoyed if a company makes an outstanding product, but then cripples it in unnecessary ways just to make sure budget buyers don't get "more than their money's worth."

I'm extremely disappointed to read your impression of focus peaking on the K-30. That's one of the features I have been most looking forward to using. A few people who have used focus peaking on the K-01 say it works great. I, therefore, naturally assumed it would work equally well on the K-30. I'm definitely hoping that other K-30 users are having better experiences with it than you have (so far, there have been almost no comments on focus peaking on the K-30 so far here at PentaxForums).
08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dunno - I found the k-30's focus peaking to be fantastic, and not that bad compared to the NEX5N. I've used the NEX5N's focus peaking and it doesn't really blow me away.

Christine of this forum compared the K-01's focus peaking to her NEX5N, and she was suitably impressed.
08-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I dunno - I found the k-30's focus peaking to be fantastic, and not that bad compared to the NEX5N. I've used the NEX5N's focus peaking and it doesn't really blow me away.
Christine of this forum compared the K-01's focus peaking to her NEX5N, and she was suitably impressed.
I don't endorse Chistine at all, sorry. Sony has three colors for focus peaking. White, red, yellow. Pentax: white only, the color of most specular highlights. Very confusing for critical focus in many situations.

08-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
I, for one, appreciate this type of review. I never put any company on a pedestal just because I love their products. In fact, I stubbornly hold them to the higher standards that they themselves originally set. If there are flaws or intentionally crippled elements of their newest products, I am the first to complain -- very loudly -- because I expect better of a company that usually makes great products. I am especially annoyed if a company makes an outstanding product, but then cripples it in unnecessary ways just to make sure budget buyers don't get "more than their money's worth."

I'm extremely disappointed to read your impression of focus peaking on the K-30. That's one of the features I have been most looking forward to using. A few people who have used focus peaking on the K-01 say it works great. I, therefore, naturally assumed it would work equally well on the K-30. I'm definitely hoping that other K-30 users are having better experiences with it than you have (so far, there have been almost no comments on focus peaking on the K-30 so far here at PentaxForums).
Well, you know many K-30 users will disagree about focus peaking.

Last edited by jeff knight; 10-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.
08-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I dunno - I found the k-30's focus peaking to be fantastic, and not that bad compared to the NEX5N
JinDesu, I'm very glad and relieved to hear that you and Christine like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Well, you know many K-30 users will disagree about focus peaking without having ever experienced anything to compare it to
Having never used focus peaking before, I shall consider myself lucky to have nothing with which to compare the K-30's focus peaking.

I do agree with you that there is no reason for them not to have included different color options in focus peaking. It could still be added via a firmware update, but I now know that Pentax doesn't like adding "features," no matter how insignificant, via firmware updates (this would actually be improving an existing feature, but we all know how corporate minds think; they would probably call it a "feature").

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I am only giving my opinion at some risk on this forum using my personal experience.
I understand. I don't fault you at all for giving your opinions based on your personal experiences. I wasn't criticizing your opinion of focus peaking. I was genuinely disappointed that you find it to be less than perfect. As for taking risks by stating personal opinions here on PentaxForums, I have had lots of experience with that in the past few months. I've found myself holding the minority opinion on several topics, usually involving my criticisms of Pentax for either acting as if a cheap feature addition is made of gold, retail-price-wise, or intentionally crippling their otherwise great products simply to justify putting them in a "lower" price bracket. It's sort of like manufacturing a Mercedes-Benz and then leaving out the speedometer -- with no way to install one after the fact -- simply to lower its perceived value.

Last edited by Welfl; 08-17-2012 at 01:53 PM.
08-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will not be able to compare the focus peaking of Pentax with another brand, but I have the K-01 and my wife the K30. Both appear to use the same system. I have found it to be a very useful additional feature. I like the sound of being able to change the colours of the focus peaking, fingers crossed that it arrives in 1.10 firmware. Otherwise we use it when auto focus won't get a hit. I have noticed that auto focus with the K-01 and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 doesn't work, que focus peaking. There will always be another brand with a better feature and then another leap frogs that brand and on it goes. I for one couldn't chase features every time brand X beats brand Y, I wouldn't have the money for my LBA.

08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Jeff,

My comment intended no ire. I only wanted to say that my experience was good with the focus peaking. I understand that it could be better if different colors were available, and I hope that Pentax can implement that via firmware. I just wanted to let Welfl know that I tried it out, and I was able to use it very well.

It may be less useful on wider lenses shooting farther objects, as the sparkle of the focus peaking tends to get a little lost in those shots.
08-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree 100% that focus peaking on Pentax bodies isn't nearly as good as it is on Sony bodies, though I have to admit that this opinion may be colored by the fact that I used Sony's implementation mainly with the EVF on my 5N.
08-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I was also unimpressed with focus peaking on my K-30, but I don't have much occassion to use it, so it's not a big deal for me. I do wish there was more magnification available though. I can't get it to go any higher than 6x. With my old K-x, it would go to 10x (or was it 12x?).
08-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking forward to focus peaking and so far have not really been able to get the hang of it. I figured I was just inept.

I think it might be useful on a tripod, but I find it next to impossible handheld. Perhaps my lack of coordination is to blame? Otherwise, the K-30 has lived up to all expectations!
08-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm popping into Jessops again to check the peaking on my Samyang 85. I have tried it on the 50/1.7 but this time I'm going to load my own SD card so I can compare shots later at my leisure.

They must be getting fed up of me in that store!