Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

Korean K-30 Focus-Peaking Test (and Overall K-30 Review)

In my opinion, the setting in the following video is not the most ideal one in which to video record a test of focus peaking (FP). For one thing, the room's lighting (both brightness and type) may not be ideal for this type of test. For another, the surfaces are either white or brightly colored, so that they reflect the light. I would like to think that it is this combination of non-ideal lighting and brightly colored surfaces, as well as the fact that we are watching a non-professional video recording of another camera's LCD screen, that makes the FP pattern not so easy for us to see. However, everything else on the LCD seems easy to see. [Update: The more I watch this video, the more I am losing my discomfort with the seemingly indistinct FP pattern. While it may not be the best (at least as far as this video goes), I think I could make relatively easy use of it with a bit of practice. I spent 25 years using much-harder-to-see transparent wavy lines (resembling heat waves on the horizon) to focus using old film SLRs.]

For the sake of argument (figuratively speaking only!), let's assume the video is a true representation of what the photographer saw with his own eyes, and also that the room in the video is just one of many normal settings in which people will shoot FP photos, and that the FP pattern on the K-30 is simply not as easy to see as it should be (certainly not as easy to see as it is in Ned Bunnell's video of the K-01's FP in a dimly lit room with dark surfaces, which he may have intentionally chosen to make the FP pattern stand out as much as possible). If this video truly recorded what the photographer was seeing with his own eyes, then it proves that additional colors would definitely be useful in focus peaking. How could the Pentax "developers/testers" have ever thought otherwise? Or have the corporate heads already decided to call red FP (etc.) a "deluxe color" (even though it isn't) and include it only in the K-5's costly replacement? I sure hope not. I would like to think red (etc.) will be added to the K-30 and K-01 via a firmware update; however, the K-01 has been out for five months now, and it still hasn't gotten that update (Sony has had red, white & some other color FP for over a year now).

MF Peak on ????? on Vimeo

P.S. I found this video via this link, which is well worth a look, but be sure to heed RiceHigh's warning if you have bandwidth limitations. I couldn't find a Google translation of this Korean review (yet), but he is right that it isn't entirely necessary (what more could we read that we haven't already read?). The photos and videos speak for themselves. Additional note: The green labels at the lower-right corners of the photos in the review will give you full-sized JPEG versions and (sometimes) RAW versions.

Last edited by Welfl; 08-20-2012 at 09:52 AM.
08-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tried focus peaking with a K-30 a few weeks back at a local camera shop. The highlighting looked essentially the same as that in the K-01 video you linked to -- it was nowhere as difficult to make out as presented in the Korean video.

That said, it certainly makes sense to use a different color, or at least offer different colors as an option for focus peaking. This would be particularly useful when shooting wide open, where the depth of field is very shallow.
08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
I tried focus peaking with a K-30 a few weeks back at a local camera shop. The highlighting looked essentially the same as that in the K-01 video you linked to -- it was nowhere as difficult to make out as presented in the Korean video.
I posted this video and made my comments with the hope that someone would write exactly what you just wrote. So thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
That said, it certainly makes sense to use a different color, or at least offer different colors as an option for focus peaking.
My sentiments exactly. I prefer to have different color options, so that I can choose the best ones for each setting.
08-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only got to spend 10 minutes with the focus peaking at the K-30 Tour but I do not recall it being tough to use or see on screen. I would agree that the ability to change the highlight color so that it doesn't blend with the color of the actual object would be a BIG plus. Frankly, my reaction to the Focus Peaking was "Wow", and it has me wondering it it's enough to replace my K-x (I do have the K-5 after all).

08-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why don't they make it flash between 2 colours? That would be really easy to see.
08-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I only got to spend 10 minutes with the focus peaking at the K-30 Tour but I do not recall it being tough to use or see on screen
More confirmation that the video really is misleading. Thanks!

Frankly, my reaction to the Focus Peaking was "Wow"
Same here!

and it has me wondering it it's enough to replace my K-x (I do have the K-5 after all).
You are in quite a bind.

I know this is absolute blasphemy, but maybe could sell both your K-5 and your K-x and get a K-30.....
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
More confirmation that the video really is misleading. Thanks!

Same here!

You are in quite a bind.

I know this is absolute blasphemy, but maybe could sell both your K-5 and your K-x and get a K-30.....
No, the K-30s biggest drawback for me (as a replacement for the K-5) is its lack of battery grip option. It's a terrific camera from all reports and my limited time playing with them. I really liked most everything about it and if I had only the K-x or K-r I'd have gotten one already as a replacement.

More than anything the K-30 has me intrigued about what will be coming out in the next few weeks to replace the K-5. Frankly the processor in the K-30 is superior to the K-5s processor and with the same sensor and lenses that makes the K-30 better in many ways. The K-30 also has more flash options (which I do not see talked about much at all) too which also makes me wonder what the K-5 replacement will be like in that regard as well.
08-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
No, the K-30s biggest drawback for me (as a replacement for the K-5) is its lack of battery grip option.
Yes, I can see how that would be a major drawback for a lot of K-5 and K-7 owners (etc.).

if I had only the K-x or K-r I'd have gotten one already as a replacement.
Of course, I wasn't serious about replacing both your K-5 and your K-x.

More than anything the K-30 has me intrigued about what will be coming out in the next few weeks to replace the K-5. Frankly the processor in the K-30 is superior to the K-5s processor and with the same sensor and lenses that makes the K-30 better in many ways.
I agree with that.

08-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

I thought it would be much better or more useful than it is TBH, I do not use it at all, as I find the LV mode just annoying after using such a great Viewfinder.