Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography Blog K-30 Review up

Not sure if someone has already posted this (did not find it with a search anyway) but Photography Blog have released their review of the K-30:
Pentax K-30 Review | PhotographyBLOG

Won't spoil it here.

08-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This should have been posted in the K-30 forum. Please only post news/rumors about new products in the news & rumors forum- thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In the summary there is something odd for photographyblog:

"The only real negative point in terms of handling is the rather slow contrast AF system which detracts from using the Live View mode."

I didn't look at the full review, but other places have praised the CDAF for being faster than Canons equiv camera and really quite snappy overall. I've certainly never had a problem with the CDAF speed It might not be *the* fastest around but I wouldn't call it "rather slow"

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 08-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.
08-23-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
In the summary there is something odd:

"The only real negative point in terms of handling is the rather slow contrast AF system which detracts from using the Live View mode."

I didn't look at the full review, but other places have praised the CDAF for being faster than Canons equiv camera and really quite snappy overall. I've certainly never had a problem with the CDAF speed
I think the CDAF speed confusion in reviews is generally due to a lack of the authors' descriptive abilities. They commonly fail to differentiate between still shot CDAF and video CDAF. The K-30 looks to be just about the fastest DSLR for live view stills from what I've seen, but videos wouldn't look right with a really fast AF so they're always slowed down on purpose I reckon but ideally they should go smoothly from subject to subject without hunting but most DSLRs fail to achieve this.

08-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm also perplexed by the perpetual criticism of the CDAF speed in the K-30. This is at least the third or fourth review to point out live-view focus speed as a negative. I came from a K-x, where it took ages to autofocus in live view, and as far as I know most of the other DSLRs were also very bad in this regard. And now the K-30 comes out and focuses almost as quickly as my Olympus E-P1 in liveview, and all these reviewers are dumping on it. I just don't get it.