Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Does Lightroom do this? How would one know? I thought the whole point of RAW is that you are getting the data directly from the camera with no processing.
You can't see a raw file, it's just ones and zeros. What you see when you look at a raw file is the software's interpretation of the data. Some softwares try to emulate the camera settings when you import (PDCU4 does this), some do not read the camera settings and simply apply a standard algorithm. Some softwares can be set to import the camera settings, or not, depending on how you set them up.

It's easy to tell if your camera settings are being imported. Take two photos, one in Natural image Tone, one in a punchy tone like Landscape or Reversal Film. Check whether the Image Tone is reflected in the raw viewer. Try shooting raw+ too, to check whether the camera and software differ. (The in-camera jpeg will look just like what you would get with DCU4).

08-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LR can be set to import any number of ways including any of it's presets, or metadata settings. even with a no setting import it still applies a LR generated preview.
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You can't see a raw file, it's just ones and zeros. What you see when you look at a raw file is the software's interpretation of the data. Some softwares try to emulate the camera settings when you import (PDCU4 does this), some do not read the camera settings and simply apply a standard algorithm. Some softwares can be set to import the camera settings, or not, depending on how you set them up.

It's easy to tell if your camera settings are being imported. Take two photos, one in Natural image Tone, one in a punchy tone like Landscape or Reversal Film. Check whether the Image Tone is reflected in the raw viewer. Try shooting raw+ too, to check whether the camera and software differ. (The in-camera jpeg will look just like what you would get with DCU4).
Thanks guys. I'll double-check LR settings, but I'm sure the JPG's and RAW files look quite different since I compared them a lot before deciding to go with RAW. Still, I never thought about the possibility that LR was importing camera settings, so this has been educational.
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #33

The K20D doesn't have AF in Live View. I agree LV AF on the K-30 is the best yet. That's not what I was talking about though. I don't doubt the K-30 has better PDAF than the K20D and every other Pentax, but your statement that the K20D "autofocusses terribly" is an exaggeration that does not jibe with my experience, after having taken tens of thousands of photos with it.
The K20D autofocusses terribly.
08-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
The K20D autofocusses terribly.
LOL! Operator error.

08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K20D
1/320; f 7.1; ISO 200
1050 x 700

K-30
1/800; f 7.1; ISO 200
1050 x 700

CROP
K20D
1/320; f 7.1; ISO 200
1050 x 700

CROP
K-30
1/800; f 7.1; ISO 200
1050 x 700

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
08-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's today's two pictures.
EXIF please see in the my Galery here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/user-album-19300/
I'll post the full size of these pictures if anyone would need.
08-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #37

Anatol,
the K20 is more crisp (sharp?) than the K-30 (on my screen), but a simple touch in LR would make them equal.
The difference in speed however is interesting? The K-30 produces the same but at a much faster speed?
08-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
Anatol,
the K20 is more crisp (sharp?) than the K-30 (on my screen), but a simple touch in LR would make them equal.
I would not want this thread to talk about editing photos. I wanted to show and I showed the pictures that make these two cameras.

But again, the picture of the old camera K20D I like more.
Carl Zeiss 50mm/2

and K-30 + Carl Zeiss 50mm/2

I accidentally opened a topic on the forum masterpieces and K-30 , as some photos that I create one old camera I can call your masterpiece, but the new camera does not do them. Please understand correctly.

I think because K-30 it is an entry-level camera from which I came out, thanks to the old one K20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
The difference in speed however is interesting? The K-30 produces the same but at a much faster speed?
YES, George.
For example, I caught a very long focus, working on an old camera K20D when photographing the sunset (see the two pictures above #13) and I quickly focused when working with the new K-30.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.
08-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. A.S. Quote
I'll post the full size of these pictures if anyone would need.
Unfortunately, the program you're using to downsize is stripping away the metadate. We can't view the camera settings. I would be interested in full-size samples, if it's not too much trouble. The rail yard images above would be good (not the crops, the full scene).
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would be interested in full-size samples, if it's not too much trouble. The rail yard images above would be good (not the crops, the full scene).
Please see two pictures.

K20D

K-30

Sorry I do it this first time here.

Anatol.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-25-2012 at 07:46 PM.
08-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I looked at them on my 23" IPS monitor. Full-sized, they appear to be very similar--however, subjectively, I think the K-30 shot looks just a tad nicer. But someone else might prefer the K20d photo. On the other hand, corner softness is also more apparent in the K-30 pic. (I suppose the sensor begins to outresolve the kit lens.)

Enlarged 200%, the K-30 pic shows slightly more detail and looks slightly crispier.

What's strange is that the jpeg from the K20d is 10.3 MB, while the K-30 jpeg is only 6.68 MB, which theoretically means less information...
08-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #42

Thks Causey.
Very informative (and scientific) and makes me sleep easier as I have a K-30 on its way.
08-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
, (I suppose the sensor begins to outresolve the kit lens.).

He didn't use the kit lens. He used a Carl Zeiss 18mm.

Do you shoot only jpeg? Is that why you are comparing jpegs from each camera. I only shoot raw so I do not really have much experience with the settings for jpeg but surely the in camera settings for each camera will be different to produce the best results.

Have you tried shooting raw with each camera and comparing those. The raw files produced by the K30 are better than the K20's so surely all you have to do is fine tune the in camera jpeg settings in the K30 to get the results you desire.
08-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
.He didn't use the kit lens. He used a Carl Zeiss 18mm.
YES.
It's K-mount lens.

.Do you shoot only jpeg? Is that why you are comparing jpegs from each camera. I only shoot raw so I do not really have much experience with the settings for jpeg but surely the in camera settings for each camera will be different to produce the best results.
I told above this test RAW + JPEG but you see JPEG.
K20D = RAW 23.3MB + JPEG 10MB
K-30 = RAW 15.4MB + JPEG 6.68MB

.Have you tried shooting raw with each camera and comparing those. The raw files produced by the K30 are better than the K20's so surely all you have to do is fine tune the in camera jpeg settings in the K30 to get the results you desire.
Maybe the raw files produced by K30 are better than the K20's, and maybe no. Do you want see two RAW files? I think this not intresting and don't need in this test.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-26-2012 at 03:46 AM.
08-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I looked at them on my 23" IPS monitor. Full-sized, they appear to be very similar--however, subjectively, I think the K-30 shot looks just a tad nicer. But someone else might prefer the K20d photo. On the other hand, corner softness is also more apparent in the K-30 pic. (I suppose the sensor begins to outresolve the kit lens.)
Enlarged 200%, the K-30 pic shows slightly more detail and looks slightly crispier.
What's strange is that the jpeg from the K20d is 10.3 MB, while the K-30 jpeg is only 6.68 MB, which theoretically means less information...

Thanks Causey. Your comment is informative and understandable for me.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-26-2012 at 03:48 AM.