Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If those are jpeg's straight out of the camera, I suppose the K-30 might fare even better in raw. The truth of the IQ lies in the raw (so to speak). As everyday pointed out, the quality of the camera jpeg's is highly dependent on the settings. You can compare the two raw files in Lightroom--or produce jpeg's through a raw editor (LR or something else) at the default settings (or with a minimal adjustment of exposure, if needed).

08-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Please someone tell me how many Mb from K-5 camera in RAW and JPEG files?
08-26-2012, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Thanks for loading the full size samples. Here's what I found:

1. The K-30 photo is more contrasty. That appears to be the way Pentax wanted it to look, because the in-camera settings for contrast are the same and both cameras are set for default, Image Tone Bright.

2. The K20D photo appears to have better resolution in these samples. Sharpness again is set the same way, +1 for both.

3. The difference you see in file size is because the K20 is set for Premium quality jgegs, the K-30 is set for Best quality. That means the K-30 jpegs are more compressed (contain less data) than the K20D images.

4. White Balance is set for Daylight on the K20D, and Auto WB on the K-30. I don't see a lot of difference in this particular photo, but it could explain the differences in some of the other photos you have posted.

5. K20D Image Stabilized, not ready. If you use a tripod, you can't use Shake Reduction.

6. Both cameras were set for spot metering, with Manual exposure. If you metered with the Green button, the slightly different spots in the center of the frame could explain the different shutter speeds.

7. K20D noise reduction is turned off, NR is set for Auto on the K-30. No difference in this photo, but would be significant at ISO 800 and above.

8. K20D, single shot, no timer, K-30, continuous shooting, no timer. On a tripod, you should either use a remote to trip the shutter, or a else use a timed shutter release. This alone could easily account for the blur in the K-30 photo.

If you want to compare the cameras fairly, you have to decide what it is you wish to test:
- If you want to test how the cameras meter, don't use Spot metering, it's too variable. I would recommend one of the auto exposure modes, preferably Matrix.
- Or if you want to check how the cameras expose, use the same shutter speed, aperture and ISO to equalize conditions.

Using a tripod is ideal, but use the timer so you don't cause any vibration. For a fair test, you need to use the same settings on both cameras for white balance, NR, SR, jpeg quality, etc.

I hope you haven't run out of patience and will try this again.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-27-2012 at 04:55 AM.
08-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks audiobomber.

I started this test to K20D users, who have not bought a new camera k-30, who can see pictures taken from old and new cameras.
I also wanted to show what the company Pentax has achieved for this four and a half years, when she has gone from K20D to K-30.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The difference you see in file size is because the K20 is set for Premium quality jpegs, the K-30 is set for Best quality. That means the K-30 jpegs are slightly more compressed (contain less data) than the K20D images.
i.e. 14.6MP and 16.3MP respectively and one file JPEG of 10 Mb (K20D) and another 6.68 Mb (K-30) respectively.
i.e. the amount of information in this file in the new camera K-30 has decreased almost by half.
OK.
I'm not going to defend the thesis on a comparison of these two cameras, and I can stop the publication of comments, if someone is not interested.

However, I will say why I bought the K-30.
I know many pentaxians in waiting full frame camera. Me too. And K-30, I would use with a future zoom lens Pentax DA 18-85mm / 2.8. That is, in the usual for me pattern focal lengths in APS-C.
My Carl Zeiss lenses 18mm, 28mm, 50mm and 100mm I want used in a new full-frame Pentax camera.
It's dreams and goals.
But the reality you can see future reality in my pictures above.

Thanks one more.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.
08-27-2012, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My impression is that only me on this forum have cameras K20D and K-30.
Otherwise people know that "Premium" quality JPEG have K20D, and don't have K-30.
"Premium" or "Best" quality it's only words and therefore does not necessarily *** K20D four years ago corresponds *** K-30 today. (NOTE. **** it's "Premium" and *** it's "Best" )

And so, unless only I have a K20D camera, then let's see some pictures of her. But like these photos made K-30 I don't have. Sorry. But I still believe camera K-30 entry level camera.

CROP

NOT CROP

NOT CROP

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-28-2012 at 12:09 AM.
08-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #51

I just simply say K20D AWB is the best among newer Pentax DSLR lineups I own or ever owned. (K7, K5, Kx, K30). K20D produces more natural colors than others. Kx, K5 and K30 tends to be more 'purplish' and warmer.
08-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Nice photos, Anatol. I especially like the one with the coloured leaves in the water and the one with the tree reflection.
10-31-2012, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice photos, Anatol. I especially like the one with the coloured leaves in the water and the one with the tree reflection.
Thanks audiobomber.

Dear Sirs,
I want remove all previous hints that the camera K-30 is somewhat inferior to the old K20D, and I want to tell you:
I'm very happy with the new camera Pentax K-30.
Thank you for your attention.
Regards.

Below are three pictures. Pentax K-30 + Carl Zeiss 100mm/2

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 10-31-2012 at 03:08 AM.
10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #54

About the colors in good light conditions - K30 is worse than my old K200D. It should be corrected a lot to get close. Auto White balance is awful in the new one compared to the old K200D. But if the user have enough patience and knowledge in ACR - anything is possible. The sony matrix have so much to offer in shadows and in high iso.