Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
S-Type focusingscreen

I have a S-Type focusingscreen once bought for K-5. I no longer have the K-5 and would like to use the screen in my K-30 instead. I've tried twice with no luck and in recent attempt I got few fibres on the screen. I'd like to keep it as clean as possible so Im here asking for clearer directions for this specific combination (S-Type screen for K-5 to be used on K-30).

08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm?

You mean K30 screen dimension is different from the K5's?
08-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The screen fits K-30. Sorry I didn't mention that. Question revolves the shims, how many to use - and which ones, there are the normal and a "black" one, or if they would be sufficient at all. I'm asking because I do not want to fiddle too much as that increases the risk of getting dust and whatnot.
08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a focusingscreen FSB in K100DS.

The number of shims is trial and error, using the calibration method described on their website instructions. (Photos of a ruler at an oblique angle.)

I had a problem with the instructions - somehow I got the orientation wrong so the screen was upside down. Does not work properly. (The problem was that the pictures had the body upside down.)

Then I went back and changed it. I needed the stock shim and two of their clear ones.

The job is tedious and leads me to get a bit shaky - which is not normally a problem.

08-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ok, i do not wish to write down a full detailed description. So i'll put it briefly:
-The further the FS from VF (thicker shim), you'll make the DOF move nearer
-The closer the FS from VF (thinner shim), you'll make the DOF move further

Therefore,
-Place NO shims, and observe the DOF; it's stupidly obvious with this screen, trust me..
-If it looks like it's behind the central AF point, i.e. the focus confirmation beeps but you see that the DOF is behind, add shim/s. How many exactly, not sure but all i can say is, if it's not too far behind, just add one.
-Rinse and repeat.

PS: Or you can just start off with at least ONE thin shim, and take it from there.
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you. I was hoping someone knew exactly how many shims are needed and which ones, but I will give it another go.
08-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The number of shims varies from camera to camera. Since no two are exactly the same.
08-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Thank you. I was hoping someone knew exactly how many shims are needed and which ones, but I will give it another go.
Just follow this tip of mine and you don't need to guess too much on how many is needed:

-The further the FS from VF (thicker shim), you'll make the DOF move nearer
-The closer the FS from VF (thinner shim), you'll make the DOF move further

09-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks - I haven't given it another go yet. Was at a wedding today and did some manual shooting. I already had the impression that the default screen is good and today's pics showed that I got many good shots using manual focus using 85 and 58mm lenses @ typically f2 but also down to f1.4, in rather dark environments where it was hard to see though the VF.

Now I'm not even sure if I want to change it, tbh.
09-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Zafar, if you have one of those handy rocket blowers, just hold the screen up before installing it and blow the dust/fibers off it. That's what I did while I was installing it. I just held it up to a light source and blew any dust I could see of it (using tweezers of course to hold it and not my hands). I also cut a little piece of paper in a triangle shape and placed it on top of the DSLR mirror so it lessens the risk of getting it dirty or even scratched.

Good luck! It takes a a couple tries to get used to it, but once you do, changing out the screen and adding or removing a shim becomes really quick and easy.
11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haven't been too motivated to install the screen till now. Just spent an hour and almost gave up and started to suspect I have a wrong screen when all of the sudden I realized, after googling for instructions, that I had to remove an existing metal shim from the camera... doh!!!

Don't think I haven't missed a better focusing screen than the stock one - I've shot plenty of photos using manual focus and each and every time it felt like I was gambling

Tried some manual focusing before I attempted the install to get a fresh idea of how bad it is. 90+ % out of focus (very low light) using 50mm f2.8 - it's not even one of my 1.4 lenses :P

After the install - tried 4 times. Nailed it 4 times

Don't know if I overlooked something but I had no idea about the existing shim. No wonder I was having such a hard time installing it!
04-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've manually focused plenty of times but mostly during event and under low light situations and it's therefor been vague how accurate I've been - I've been having a feeling that it been very hard to focus manually (harder than when I used to it it with my K-x and costum focusingscreen). Now that it's warmer, I photograph outside as well and it stands clear the focusing is off. I used the "special" shim, which gave me best accuracy - what could I have had done wrong?
04-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Sounds silly, but are you sure you have not accidentally put the screen in upside down (wrong surface facing the mirror)?

I found the focusingscreen online instructions were easy to confuse because of orientation of the pictures and the natural way to hold the camera when doing the job.
04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The thought crossed my mind but I also kind of vaguly recall, if it was turned upside down then it was rather clear it wasn't good to focus with.

Been having a lame headache so I didn't bother with the camera too much but I'll have a look shortly, and try reversing the screen.
04-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
The thought crossed my mind but I also kind of vaguly recall, if it was turned upside down then it was rather clear it wasn't good to focus with.

Been having a lame headache so I didn't bother with the camera too much but I'll have a look shortly, and try reversing the screen.
Pssst~ Have you ensured your diopter is at the correct setting too?