Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
Yep. So far so good! If there are any issues I guess very minor.

2. The LCD screen is too good! Is that a problem? When I import my photos to my laptop, I am a little disappointed that the brightness/exposure of the photo is actually a notch lower. I have my laptop calibrated with Spyder 4 Express. Not sure if I am doing anything wrong.
Only a guess as I don't have a K-30 yet, but generally speaking, affordable LCD panels have come on in leaps and bounds this last year, including some camera LCDs which are rumoured to be IPS panels (I don't know if K-30 is though). 99% of laptop screens are complete garbage in comparison to the new but quite cheap IPS panel like the Viewsonic VX2336s I bought recently. Everything just looks bolder, more contrasty, more colourful and yet very very natural once a basic calibration has been done. So, when you compare the K-30 screen image quality to a laptop, I reckon you're just seeing how poor your laptop screen is. No offence, but I haven't seen a good PC laptop screen yet. Yours could be the exception I suppose but somehow.......I doubt it. If the vertical viewing angle is narrow then your laptop screen is a TN panel like most are.

08-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Also if you shoot RAW you will see the actual RAW on the computer but the camera shows the JPEG preview
08-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Also if you shoot RAW you will see the actual RAW on the computer but the camera shows the JPEG preview
This is not correct. You cannot view a raw (not RAW, raw is not an acronym) file. A raw file is not an image file per se, it is a data file that contains all the data obtained from the sensor, and also includes an embedded jpg, which is what you see on both the camera screen and a computer screen. When viewing on a computer screen, the image you see may or may not have the camera settings applied depending on the raw converter you are using.
08-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Been using mine since around the third week of July. it's a joy to use. It's a huge improvement over my K100D Super (now in use by my kids), which is to be expected, I guess. Works great with my Sigma 17-70 and 70-300 lenses and my Takumar 55mm. I don't have much use for the preset picture modes, but am enjoying the TaV and Sv settings.

Only real gripe is that it takes a smidgen too long to wake up and focus from power save mode. Hope that gets fixed in the next (coming soon?) firmware update

08-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Did the K10D had any problems beside the little crack?
What about the Km and K200D?
Several, included mine, reported cases of the SR switch coming off the K10.
However, it was a quick and easy fix at the Pentax shop.
08-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
...affordable LCD panels have come on in leaps and bounds this last year, including some camera LCDs which are rumoured to be IPS panels (I don't know if K-30 is though). 99% of laptop screens are complete garbage...
Things are changing:
The screen - oh my god, the screen
While the sharpness plays a role in how good the screen looks - and the new MacBook Pro's screen looks better than any other notebook that has ever existed, bar none - so does the panel technology. I want to make that clear - if display quality is paramount to you, for whatever reason, this is the only laptop you should remotely be considering. It's simply that good. Apple uses IPS screens in their next-gen MBP, just like in the iPhone and iPad... [my bold emphasis].
Click here to read the rest at NotebookReview.com.
08-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
This is not correct. You cannot view a raw (not RAW, raw is not an acronym) file. A raw file is not an image file per se, it is a data file that contains all the data obtained from the sensor, and also includes an embedded jpg, which is what you see on both the camera screen and a computer screen. When viewing on a computer screen, the image you see may or may not have the camera settings applied depending on the raw converter you are using.
That does not differ from what i said.
You see an image created by the RAW data (i use RAW to make it stand out more ) that is being processed by the software, so in essence you see the RAW data.

To go a bit further most RAW are TIFF based and so they are an image file, DNG for example is compatible with the TIFF standard, if the DNG is coded correctly you can change the .DNG extension to .TIFF and see an image.

And no you don't always see the embedded JPEG (not jpg, JPEG is an acronym for Joint Photographic Experts Group ) on your computer like you're suggesting.

08-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Things are changing:
The screen - oh my god, the screen
While the sharpness plays a role in how good the screen looks - and the new MacBook Pro's screen looks better than any other notebook that has ever existed, bar none - so does the panel technology. I want to make that clear - if display quality is paramount to you, for whatever reason, this is the only laptop you should remotely be considering. It's simply that good. Apple uses IPS screens in their next-gen MBP, just like in the iPhone and iPad... [my bold emphasis].
Click here to read the rest at NotebookReview.com.
There are already a lot of laptops, tablets and even phones that are using IPS, PVA or other type of better screens.

DELL even had a laptop, the XPS studio or something, that one you could get with an IPS screen with RGB led that could produce almost aRGB 2 to 3 years ago.
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
A day after someone posted this, my memory card slot door has started to creek and feel soft. Thanks for jinxing it