Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 - seems very trouble free?

Unlike the K-7, K-x, K-5, K-r, K-01 , Q or anything else Pentax related , I'm very impressed that there seems to be NO litany of complaints here about pretty much anything to do with the K-30 (aside from the lack of support for K-30 DNG's in some software apps, but that's not really a Pentax issue per se).

So am I right in calling the K-30 pretty much the most trouble free Pentax in living forum memory? Or it is just too early to make that call?

08-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You just jinxed it. Thanks a lot!
08-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also K20D, with its banding, or am I fabulating?
08-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Did the K10D had any problems beside the little crack?
What about the Km and K200D?

08-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
K200D
IIRC, some users had some issues with different AA batteries (of course), not great high ISO was a common gripe, one or two AF issues, a few assorted weird issues (eg once in a while I had purple sensor blooms on some night shots), but all in all it had a pretty good run on the forums I believe.
08-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did the K10D had any problems beside the little crack?
What about the Km and K200D?
My K10d had the early flash failure (after about 12 flash uses) and the replacement had the tilted viewfinder and got the corner crack. Then within a year on a hot day in the sun it went kind of haywire IIRC the aperture would only work correctly on my DA300 (my only sdm lens) and they had to replace the main circuit board. k100ds needed a few pixels mapped out, and the k20d had a big spot on the sensor new out of the box (I had to wet clean it). I was really happy with them all though in the long run. I got the longer warranty when I got the k20d because of my k10d problems, but never had to use it.
08-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

So far, the issues I have read for the K-30 are:

Weird battery indicator issue
Sometimes it freezes up
Slow or fast Live view autofocus depending on which reviewer is using it (I kid, I kid)

Not sure if there was anything else. Hopefully the first two I list get fixed in the next firmware.

08-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Weird battery indicator issue
Isn't this a standard 'feature' for pentax? I have heard the issues is at least on K-7, K-5 although not sure pre-dating that.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sometimes it freezes up
Fingers crossed it should be a firmware bug.
08-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I would say that the K30 is sort of a "reboot" of the K5 with a slightly different body, meaning that it should be pretty well tested, less chance for problems. The K7 (which was a reboot of the K20) really had very few issues on release (other than somewhat poor sensor quality). There was green line issue that was fixed after a few weeks.

The K20 on release had trouble with freeze ups. I had to send my camera in to have a circuit board replaced, but did well after that.

Some issues come over time (lens release button issue with K5, mirror tilt issue with K10), so it may be a little soon to tell quality control.
08-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I would say that the K30 is sort of a "reboot" of the K5 with a slightly different body
It seems ur forgetting the new motherboard, processor and AF system.... only thing that is the same is the viewfinder, LCD and the sensor...
08-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been using mine extensively for the past month or so and am very happy. Ergonomically it felt a little funny to me at first compared to the K-5, but now I don't notice and it feels fine.
08-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, I would say that the K30 is sort of a "reboot" of the K5 with a slightly different body
Internally, it's like a conglomeration of K-01 sensor/processing board/LCD screen, k-r shutter/plastic casing techniques, and modified AF/Viewfinder/WR from the K-5.
08-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems ur forgetting the new motherboard, processor and AF system.... only thing that is the same is the viewfinder, LCD and the sensor...
Sure, but as sjwaldron says, I think a lot of the components have seen the light of day before. The new flagship model that follows the K5 is much more likely to have issues, particularly if it attempts a new auto focus system, PRIME, etc.
08-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sure, but as sjwaldron says, I think a lot of the components have seen the light of day before. The new flagship model that follows the K5 is much more likely to have issues, particularly if it attempts a new auto focus system, PRIME, etc.
Please check the specs of the K30 and you will see it uses a NEW prime processor and auto focus system
So no, there are a lot of new stuff inside the K30 with some older stuff that was used in the K-01 but that is a special kind of camera and still new as well.
08-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #15

Yep. So far so good! If there are any issues I guess very minor.

1. I've seen it overexpose a few times, very rare though.
2. The LCD screen is too good! Is that a problem? When I import my photos to my laptop, I am a little disappointed that the brightness/exposure of the photo is actually a notch lower. I have my laptop calibrated with Spyder 4 Express. Not sure if I am doing anything wrong.
3. I don't know if this is the same as other models as my K-x is now with my brother so I cannot confirm. But when you set an Exposure Compensation/Bias in another mode (e.g. Av), then you shoot at Manual mode. The Exif you get will have an Exposure Bias written on it. It is a very minor quirk I know, but it shouldn't have that info right?