Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I, too, have just bought a K-30 online, and it has a remarkable amount of component-shift inside the body -- movement which a) is not affected in ANY way regardless of SR, dust removal, live view or other settings (i.e., with each of these settings in the "Off" position, the phenomenon remains) and b) is equally present when the entire camera is OFF.

To be clear: just because some amount of movement inside Pentax bodies is normal does NOT mean what mengazaa is describing is limited to that normal amount of movement. He (and I) may indeed have defective bodies, perhaps ones damaged in shipment.

The arrival of mine, for instance, reflected the typical sort of genius human behavior when packaging things for shipment: 1) put the item in the box, then 2) add (insufficient) padding atop it (vs. all around it, particularly underneath)...this would be fine if gravity acted in reverse, such that when carriers dropped or tossed packages they fell upward and hit the ceiling.

10-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The rattling noise should stop if you are in live view with shake reduction turned OFF. In that situation the sensor should be magnetically locked into position so there should be no movement and no rattling sound. If you shake it hard enough (not sure why you should) you will probably hear the mirror flap a little.

The rattling noise will be greatest in live view with shake reduction ON and with a very long focal length lens. In that situation even the normal vibration from a steady hand is enough to make the SR mechanism quite noisy.

When the camera is turned off the sensor is somewhat free to move around so it is normal for it to sound like there is something loose inside. ACtually although this is 'normal' I cannot say that I like it. I would much rather there was some sort of lock down mechanism as is common in the stabilizers built into lenses. I don't quite like the idea of the sensor rattling all over the place when in transport.
10-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
Inactive Account

lister6520, thanks for your clarification. In my K-30, the sliding that is both heard and felt seems to be a bit more pronounced than what others have described as normal in Pentaxes (and all I can say is "seems", since I'm working off others' perceptions and the way they articulate them here and in other forums). And I have noticed that when, as you indicate, SR is off and LV is on, the severity of the phenomenon is much less, but it still exists -- maybe only 10% as much as usual (and it's not mirror flap I'm hearing and feeling in this configuration). Does that match your experience with similar Pentaxes? The other distinctions you describe are not replicated in my K-30: the phenomenon is no greater with LV and SR both on than it is with LV off and NR on.
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #19

Please see my take on noise issue here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/200570-k30-teething-questions.html#post2118228

11-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Placing a search on this ' shifting noise ' question for my new K-01 brought me here. Very helpful posts answered my question. In my Pentax SLRs, the internal sound was not so noticeable as in my K-01 - in fact, I had not really noticed it until I really listened for it on the SLRs. But, sure enough, on the K-01, when the camera is turned on, the shifting inside of the camera stops. So far, I'm quite happy with the K-01 will post on it in the appropriate thread after I've put it through its paces.