Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

RaW + DNGs altered at import in LR

ok, I am new to RAW processing, AND LR, what am I doing wrong?

When I shoot RAW only, the images are just that, raw and needing editing, but when I shoot RAW + the DNG file in LR is identical to the JPEG image, and resetting it does nothing...could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? There is no comparison possible as they both have been processed...

Thanks in advance!

08-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you grouping both the RAW/DNG and the JPG as one file? Lightroom can either keep them separate or as a single file. I always keep them separate, so I'm not sure which one LR chooses for its display when you keep them together. I suspect it keeps the JPEG version. From your description it sounds like you are keeping them separate. Just making sure.

If you are keeping them separate, I'm not really sure why the behavior would be different.
LR will briefly show the internal JPG for the RAW file and that will match the separate JPG.
But when you select it, or after LR creates its preview, the Internal JPG is no longer displayed and you should see the RAW version.

What version of LightRoom, which OS, and what camera?
08-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What custom image setting are you using for the JPEG? To create an obvious difference between the two files you could set the custom image to monochrome, fire off a few test shots in DNG+, then import the files into Lightroom and see what it does.
08-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

I have windows 7 - 64bit with LR 4.1 (still on test version, but will definitely be buying it) and using the k30. I am not sure how to separte the JPEG and RAW or keep them together, but it only shows the DNG file in LR when I import it ( just double checked, no presets on import either). The jpeg is on the drive, and not displayed in LR, I have to go in and view it separately, I believe this is how you have it amoringello? I have just tried another import, and again, the two are identical without any editing at all...Irfanview can view both dng and jpeg and the RAW is definitely coming in edited...presets for JPEG on camera are only lens correction and auto NR at high isos with natural colors selected. Would that make the RAW processed? I need to do more testing, unfortunately, we have company over so no time to do it today...

@Tom-I recently read that the monochrome conversion only affects JPEG, and raw remains in color, no?

EDIT- think I got it, the default setting for imports of DNG files in LR is to treat it as one picture with the JPEG, hence the processing? What a dumb default! After changing it, there is definitely a difference in the two, and both are displayed in LR...

Cheers,
TJWest

Last edited by TJWest; 08-26-2012 at 01:14 AM.
08-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic!
I think if you could group and un-group the two files it might be a useful feature in some cases... but as it is implemented at the moment, I find it hard to understand how it is useful.
Anyway, glad it was a simple solution.
08-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
me too, thanks for your help!
09-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hope, that my additional questions are not too off-topic. I would like to know under which settings of K-30 are the original JPG and the preview of original DNG the same? Or what processing in the K-30 makes the JPG different from the DNG preview?

Currently I process all my DNGs from K-30 once with AdobeDNGConverter. This because of two reasons: First I like to reduce the preview size to medium. Not mainly to reduce file size, but mainly to speed up preview display and to realize a noticable and obvious difference between preview and raw display with all kind of viewing software. Secondly I like to see the difference of DNG prreview and JPG from K-30 regarding lens correction or other JPG processing of K-30. I detected that the JPGs are cropped in comparision to raw image of DNGs.

I am not really sure if the additional AdobeDNGConverter processing for K-30 DNG files is a risk. The K-30 is not yet listed as supported camera on the AdobeConverter website. But perhaps this does not matter, because the raw content is not touched during DNG2DNG conversions? Only the preview and some meta-data is modified?