Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody using K30 with AA batteries?

Is there any problem and how many shots it will take with for example 4 pieces of eneloop 2000mAh?

08-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have run one set of Eneloops through my K-30. I don't know how many shots because I took out the adapter because the camera kept refusing to turn back on after installing the SD card. I would have to remove the battery adapter momentarily and it would turn on again.

I am using the 2000mAh batteries........

I am hoping for better results next time I use them....
08-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I did see someone mention 700 shots with AA rechargeables but that may not have been with Eneloops.
08-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm very curious because it is important for a body without option for grip.

08-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #5

This may not be an accurate reflection of real-world usage, but I set mine up for two sets of interval shooting. Each set was 360 shots, so a total of 720. Newly charged set of Eneloops when I started. At the end of the 720 shots, the battery meter was still green. I then proceeded to take a few more hundred shots normally over the course of a week. Finally, the meter went to red. I'd estimate it lasted me 1000 shots before I pulled the batteries out. The big caveats are that 1) I took the bulk of the photos unmanned via interval shooting and 2) I didn't wait for the batteries to completely die before removing them, so don't know how much longer it could have gone. But still, I was pretty impressed.
08-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

I have used Eneloops (I believe the 1500mAh but am not sure) and they performed well. Except for a freeze up where I had to remove the batteries; then with a freshly charged stock (not AA) Li battery it wouldn't start up. I had to wait about a minute or 2 before switching the selector to "On" actually did something. Later I put in the same Eneloop battery pack without charging and the indicator showed full charge and I was able to take more than 200 shots with it.
After switching from the AA to Li batteries, I have to wait for a few minutes before attempting to turn the camera on; before that it just plays dead.
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am also using AA rechargables, and I'm getting good performance. I'm also getting freeze-ups, but I never thought to blame the batteries. I figured it's something that will be addressed in a forthcoming firmware update. I sometimes use Eneloops, and sometimes use Rayovacs.

08-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

I am using an old set of Eneloops 2000mah. It lasted me about 450 shots before it ran out.

Just gotten a new set of Eneloops plus the new 2500mah (Eneloop XXX). Will provide an update once I test them out
08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I am also using AA rechargables, and I'm getting good performance. I'm also getting freeze-ups, but I never thought to blame the batteries. I figured it's something that will be addressed in a forthcoming firmware update. I sometimes use Eneloops, and sometimes use Rayovacs.
Does it freeze up with Li-ion battery?
08-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Depend on mah. You need 2700mah or 3200mah. If you want 800mah, less od shot and weak shutter. If 2700mah is strong and fast shutter. Smile.
08-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
Does it freeze up with Li-ion battery?
Yes, I've seen freeze ups, requiring battery pull, with Li-Ion battery.

The two differences between supplied Li-Ion and recharbgable AA batteries I know of are:
  1. Your average rechargable AAs (~2,5Ah) last MUCH (I'd say about 3x) longer.
  2. The screw driven AF performance is noticably slower thanks to lower on board voltage. This may be dependent on the type of batteries, but my quick and dirty tests with 35 Macro Limited (ie. lens with relatively long focus throw) indicate increase from ~1s from infinity to minimal focus distance to ~1.3s. I don't think this is that much problem in real world usage unless you're in situation when you need really fast AF.
From my experience with K-x I think you'd get best of both words with non rechargable Lithium AA batteries (aka Energizer Ultimate Lithium) - these last ages, are considerably lighter then NiMH and have higher voltages. They'd get two expensive for everyday use, though, but as a backup/option for long trips into wilderness they're marvelous.
08-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
The two differences between supplied Li-Ion and recharbgable AA batteries I know of are:
  1. Your average rechargable AAs (~2,5Ah) last MUCH (I'd say about 3x) longer.
  2. The screw driven AF performance is noticably slower thanks to lower on board voltage.
Another thing: With Li-Ion you get more frames per second. I guess around 4 fps with AA and 6 with Li-Ion. For me, this does not matter. I have two sets of AA Eneloops and happy with that.
08-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have never had much luck with Eneloops. So far, I've gotten 278 and 256 shots on sets of Eneloop rechargeables. I'll still use them, but I've never been that impressed. I even have one of those nice Maja chargers and have done all the modes people recommend. They just don't work for me. I may buy one more set and start fresh and see how it goes.

Now, Energizer lithium disposables are wonderful! Those are what I love to use. Well over 1000 shots per set.

The lithium ion has given me over 500 shots, which is way better than it ever did on my K-r. So, that's kind of nice.
08-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
278 & 256 shots are quite low. I am using rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries, a set of black Eneloop 2400 and a set of Energizer 2450. Both are giving me great performance. I even tried shooting interval movie of 10 minutes with the K-30 shooting every 3 seconds, so that is easily a 200 count shutter action. Yet it hardly made a dent on the battery indicator. Maybe you have pulled out the battery earlier than it was fully charged? Sometimes when the charging has finished, I try to reinsert the AAs and they recharge again so I just do it again and again. Or if your battery charger has those "Refresh" buttons you don't need to remove and re-insert the batteries, it will try to charge again.
08-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks, drivingback. No, I let the batteries run until it said "battery depleted" and wouldn't do anything, even after powering off and on. I have ordered a new set and we'll see how it goes. If I have similar results, I am done with Eneloops. I am glad they work well for others. For the record, I have also tried Powerex rechargeables and don't get any better results from them.

I rarely use flash or live view, so I am not doing anything to run the batteries down particularly quickly.