Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 Studio Samples Just Posted!

DPR has just posted their studio samples of the K-30. It looks even stronger than the K-5 to me, and on par with the Canon 5D Mk III (I focused on the RAW samples).

Just Posted: Pentax K-30 studio test shots as part of rolling review: Digital Photography Review

Not only is this a great showing for the K-30, it bodes well for what we may yet have in store before the year's out. Congratulations on a job well done, Pentax!

Last edited by DSims; 08-27-2012 at 10:30 PM.
08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn! It looks better than the K-5 at 1600 ISO in RAW.
08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure why the link above points back at our forum - here is a new link Just Posted: Pentax K-30 studio test shots as part of rolling review: Digital Photography Review
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K30 rocks!

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
DPR has just posted their studio samples of the K-30. It looks even stronger than the K-5 to me, and on par with the Canon 5D Mk III (I focused on the RAW samples).
that link obviously will not work by just clicking on it, you have to cut & paste into the new browser's window.
the outcome of this test reconfirms what I was noticing since receiving K-30.
Pentax made the great improvement in speed and quality of image processing and speed and preciseness of AF/MF over 2 year old K-5,
although K-5 still has his merits and is much better build.
I most likely will replace K-30 ( as is getting much much more use than K-5) after year or so and will keep K-5 and the Q forever.

08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Not sure why the link above points back at our forum
Sorry - I was thinking back to the time when links were blocked in both directions (both to and from dpreview). It's fixed now.
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #6

Those raws are very impressive.. But why Pentax apply NR to the Raws ??
08-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CyberManiaK Quote
Those raws are very impressive.. But why Pentax apply NR to the Raws ??
The default settings are "High-ISO NR: Auto" and "Slow Shutter Speed NR: Auto". You can turn both of these off.

08-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by qwertyazerty Quote
The default settings are "High-ISO NR: Auto" and "Slow Shutter Speed NR: Auto". You can turn both of these off.
Yeah but at least what I have seen on other brands, that doesn't affect RAW, So if you have NR enable should only affect JPG's and not Raw's but if its affecting, that means Raws are not Raws.
08-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #9

At ISO1600 K-30 has better IQ than Canon 650D, but at ISO100 a 650D shows better details than K-30. It is also noisier, which somehow implies that K-30 does some noise reduction at an expense of lower detail retention. Those who know how to do a noise post processing and shot at lower iso 650D (e.g. landscape photography) will have to do a little more research to choose camera if IQ is the most important aspect. Well in case of landscape photography K-30 should have an edge because of the WR.
08-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #10

YES!

Pentax k-30 is the fkn best!! Beats d7000 and nex 7 yeahhh!
08-28-2012, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
At ISO1600 K-30 has better IQ than Canon 650D, but at ISO100 a 650D shows better details than K-30. It is also noisier, which somehow implies that K-30 does some noise reduction at an expense of lower detail retention. Those who know how to do a noise post processing and shot at lower iso 650D (e.g. landscape photography) will have to do a little more research to choose camera if IQ is the most important aspect. Well in case of landscape photography K-30 should have an edge because of the WR.
Detail is defined by lens and focus, unfortunately.

Noise is the only comparable factor in these tests.
08-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Detail is defined by lens and focus, unfortunately.

Noise is the only comparable factor in these tests.
The AA filter has quite an effect on softness/sharpness/moire also.
08-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I was under the impression that the K-30 had the K-01's sensor, which doesn't have as many AA filters as the k-5 - making it sharper.

Not sure though.
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Yes, but JinDesu is correct in that you have to be really careful when looking at DPR's studio shots. On some cameras the focus is slightly more toward the back of the scene, and on others it's more front-focused. This problem is then exacerbated by the fact that cameras have differing effective DOF (e.g. FF vs. APS-C). I'm sure they work hard to keep this to a minimum, but some variance is unavoidable. You need to look hard at the various parts of the scene to determine where the focal point ended up for that particular camera. You'll notice some cameras "excel" at the front part of the scene while others excel toward the back.

This is further complicated by the fact that different lenses are used on each camera, although DPR tries to use quality lenses, such as 50mm primes.

So, practically speaking, JinDesu is nearly correct. Unless you take great pains to make sure you're observing and including all of these factors, your conclusions are likely to be askew.
08-28-2012, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I wrote a super long thing and then the forum doesn't let me post. So I lost it.

Basically - the sensor's been proven. Lenses don't outresolve sensors. Pentax generally does better than Nikon/Sony with the same sensors, and this k-30 is no different. The k-5 is two years old and no one checks its DPReview page anymore. Seeing the k-30 hold it's own against D7000s, 7Ds, NEX5Ns/NEX7s, and even the 5D Mk3 is going to give Pentax a lot of props.

The comments on the page seem to affirm that thought.