Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've done lots of wedding photography over the summer and shot several thousands pics so far (more than 10k). Most covering entire days and outside as well as inside. Nothing so far has made me suspicious about K-30s AF performance under certain light conditions. There *might* be some. But can't be a whole lot (in my case at least).

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
It is handheld by the way, which also tells you something about the in-body stabiliser.
That's impressive - another thing I've noticed about the K-30 is the SR. Never had the K-5 for long enough to get a better impression of it regarding SR, but compared to my K-x, the SR in K-30 feels much improved.

09-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #32

same concerns- refuse k5 coming tomorrow?

I just posted this on dpreview and didn't want to start a new thread here -- I have same concerns... please read

Help! use new K-5 w/ DA 50 1.8 or does DA50 require k-30?

I don't often post begging advice, but I am going soon on the biggest photo adventure of my life. I'll be going back to India and photographing at Kumbh Mela, the world's biggest festival (More than 50 million people). It has been suggested to me by the people I'll be working with that I should have a "fast lens."

I have traveled the world first with a k100D and later with a K-x and not had any real focus problems -- *** maybe because I don't have any fast lenses *** - DA 40 is my only 2.8 lens. And I have a DA 21 3.2. The pictures below were taken with a K100d, although I have a k-x now that works just as well.

http://www.pileofprints.com/photos/i-pvjNCQQ/0/O/i-pvjNCQQ.jpg
DA 40 iso 1600 1/15 2.8

http://www.pileofprints.com/photos/i-wtsWd2Q/0/O/i-wtsWd2Q.jpg
DA 40 iso 1600 1/4000 2.8 capturing a quickly moving tray

http://www.pileofprints.com/photos/i-jVv4mfZ/0/O/i-jVv4mfZ.jpg
DA 40 iso 800 1/8 2.8

I thought I would get a 2nd camera as a back-up. The k-5 or the k-30 & a fast lens, the DA 50 1.8.

I would rather get the K-5, although I understand that the K-30 focuses better in low light because of the way its focus system corrects chromatic aberrations in the optics of the AF system.

*** Can K-5 focus the 50 1.8 wide open in low light? ***

Am I crazy not to get the K-30?
Must I wait & pay for the K5iis?

Am I better off just continuing to use the DA 40 in low light because the DA 50 isn't that sharp wider than 2.8 anyway?

*** Am I right to expect the k-5 to focus better in low light than the k-x I have now? ***

Oh, too many questions and the K-5 arrives tomorrow.

Thanks, for reading this.

--
Brian

Pile of Prints -- Brian Thomas
09-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #33

does k-30 get more pictures with AA Lithium ??

I read that the k-30 gets half the pictures of the k-5 with its supplied lithium battery. Does anyone know how does it to with AA batteries, both Lithium and rechargeable Nimhs ??
09-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote
does k-30 get more pictures with AA Lithium ??
I read that the k-30 gets half the pictures of the k-5 with its supplied lithium battery. Does anyone know how does it to with AA batteries, both Lithium and rechargeable Nimhs ??
I use 4 1900 mAh Eneloop's and I get much more shots compared to the supplied battery. I didn't actually check how many but I feel the 4 AA's are close to what I was getting with K-5's battery. OK, maybe not THAT many.....but close.

Last edited by Nicks; 09-20-2012 at 02:52 AM.
09-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

You worry WAY too much.

*** Can K-5 focus the 50 1.8 wide open in low light? ***
I'm sure it can. I recently shot hundreds of shots at a night event with the K-5 and FA 50 1.4 without any drama. So I'm sure the K-5 can handle the DA 50 1.8.
Am I better off just continuing to use the DA 40 in low light because the DA 50 isn't that sharp wider than 2.8 anyway?
While a fast (f1.8, f1.4) lens can be handy, it's not essential. One never shoots with them wide-open all the time anyhow, since often you DON'T want razor-thin DOF - eg shooting crowd scenes where narrow DOF means everyone is out of focus, or people shots where you want more than the nose in focus. But by all means get a DA50 1.8 - a fast 50 should be in everyone's toolbox, because sometimes you need something faster than f2.8.

If you have the DA40, which is an excellent all-round lens, keep using it with the K-5. You will be very happy. I like that lens very much.

*** Am I right to expect the k-5 to focus better in low light than the k-x I have now? ***
Yes. For one, the K-x does not have an AF assist light, but the K-5 does.
(I personally never use the K-5s AF assist light, but many people do). I find the K-5s AF is more confident than that of the K-x.

Just remember to check that you have the latest K-5 firmware before you go on your trip to India, as it seems to tune up the AF a bit. And get in some practice shooting around events in your local area with the K-5 and the gear you intend to take before you go, since the K-5 is a substantially different camera than the K-x.

Last edited by rawr; 09-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.
09-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first K-30 had major front-focus problems which required -10 adjustment for both lenses I had (did many tests, including comparison to LV shots which aren't susceptible to FF/BF). Concerned, I exchanged it at my local store for another unit, this time getting the 18-135 kit instead of the 18-55. This second unit is perfectly on with it's autofocus.
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sanyo XX, brand new - fully charged once: about 200 exposures. Camera turns of by itself but can go on for 50 or so more exposure after re-inserting very same batteries. Battery level indicator is very unreliable.

Sanyo XX, charged a few times: 700 exposures. Cam behaves well, indicator is better.

Sanyo XX, charged X (my guess would be about 5 - can't be much *more* than this though) number of times: 1300 exposures. Cam behaves as it should. Battery indicator seems to be very reliable.

I'm mentioning the different stages so you wont get a nasty surprise as I did in the beginning

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Energize Lithium batteries will give you even more exposures.