Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Any using the Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 with the K-30?

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
Metz Flash Canada TTL Flash for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Four Thirds

bottom of page, second item under News and Updates

bcorson, Thank you very much for the direct link!

Now can a K-30 owner confirm they are successfully using the Metz Mecablitz 52 AF-1 with the K-30?

01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the 52 on Friday for my K-30 and everything seems to be working great, P-TL, HSS, wireless. The only thing I do notice is that the aperture which is suppose to be displayed in the setting screen is not showiing and I can not adjust while on camera. Exposure seems spot on though so I am thinking maybe a firmware update will fix this. As Metz has stated, they will be releasing fw soon to encompase the K-30 so we will see.
01-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #18

I thought I said that in my original post:
"if anyone is thinking of a new flash the Metz 52 AF1 works great with the K-3o. There is a pdf comptability chart from Metz dated Nov 2012 that shows the 52 AF compatible with the K-30."
01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yes, you did and your post of the chart is why I went for the purchase.

I am though slightly concerned that the aperture data is not showing on the screen and when I am in AV mode and change aperture, though the range values change on the flash, the exposure does seem to get blown out as if the data may not be being transferred to the flash. Makes me think that though it is compatible, there were still some pin changes that Metz has to update firmware for. As another post had said, Metz has acknowledged that the changes did occur with the K-30 and they are working on a fix that was suppose to be released last fall and also noted that there is not a recommended flash listed on their site for the K-30. I sent an email off to Metz to see what they say so we will see.

01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #20

Is the firmware of all the Metz flashes updateable? And I mean updateable, not that firmware is available. I cannot afford a full priced new flash so am trawling ebay looking for good condition used or new flashes at a steal. I am not just looking at Metz ones either but all the P-TTL ones that I know of with a decentish guide number and preferably a swivel as well as a bounce head.
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote

I am though slightly concerned that the aperture data is not showing on the screen and when I am in AV mode and change aperture, though the range values change on the flash, the exposure does seem to get blown out as if the data may not be being transferred to the flash. Makes me think that though it is compatible, there were still some pin changes that Metz has to update firmware for. As another post had said, Metz has acknowledged that the changes did occur with the K-30 and they are working on a fix that was suppose to be released last fall and also noted that there is not a recommended flash listed on their site for the K-30. I sent an email off to Metz to see what they say so we will see.
I normally have used Tav mode and had no problem so I just went and used Av and went thru all aperatures and had only minor deviations thru the entire range. What I did see however is that what changed was flash intensity and not ISO which stayed constant at 200. I had not paid attention before but as you say aperture value does not show on the Metz screen and in fact the only time I could get the aperature to show was when I turned on the unit which seemed funny. Guess I will have to do some more reading of the Metz manual.

I will be interested in hearing what Metz has to say when they reply to your email.

Bob
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #22

Jim,

I went thru the manual and the only other thing I noticed is that there is supposed to be a second INFO screen listing aperature zoom ISO and EV(see page 134) and I could not get this screen to come up.. However I got only minor variations in exposure (maybe 1/3 EV) across the entire f range of 3.5 to 40. As I said before be interesting to hear what Metz replies to you.

Bob

01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by shoebox Quote
Got to take a few pictures with the v4.0 firmware (mecablitz 48 AF-1) on the K-30. It seems to still underexpose a bit but not as badly as with the stock firmware. I never updated prior to this since the unit worked fine with my K-x... if it ain't broke....

I'll be waiting for the new firmware to be released.

Cheers,

SB
You might want to contact Metz as the compatibility chart (link posted by me) dated November 2012 shows the AF-48 and lower are currently compatible with the K-30.
01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I have Metz 48-AF for a few years and it was working just perfect with K-10D, but in August of 2012 I've bought K-30 and flash is very inconsistent. HSS is mostly wrong, under or over exposed. Waiting for a new firmware, compatibility chart of November 2012 in my case is misleading.
01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyF Quote
I have Metz 48-AF for a few years and it was working just perfect with K-10D, but in August of 2012 I've bought K-30 and flash is very inconsistent. HSS is mostly wrong, under or over exposed. Waiting for a new firmware, compatibility chart of November 2012 in my case is misleading.
MAkes you wonder what the testing is that they do before releasing now firmware and stating compatability. Are you going to let them know the problems you have experienced?
01-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
MAkes you wonder what the testing is that they do before releasing now firmware and stating compatability. Are you going to let them know the problems you have experienced?
I'm sure they are well aware of this. Many people emailed them.
01-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Hi Bob,

I think you mean page 143 as page 134 is in German. I too saw this and the same thing happes for me, I get the initial display sans the aperture display and when I touch the screen again, nothing happens. I do see that screen when I turn on the flash off cam so it has to be a communication problem between camera and flash. Thanks for verifying this. I was afraid that I had a camera or flash problem but now it seems that this is just a flash issue that is seen in all of the 52's on a K-30. So far, I have only received a confirmation email from Metz that a ticket was created but have not received any other reply. I will post the reply here when I get it.

As for exposure, my findings are the same as yours with aperture changes. I played with it a little more and find that ISO changes do not seem to be factored in at all by the flash and it will blow out inhigher ISO in all of the tests that I have done. Overall though, I am happy with the flash and have taken some great pics with it, just can't wait til Metz catches up with the firmware upgrade for the K-30. I must say though that it is lightyears ahead of the Vivitar DF-383 that I had which worked well on my K-x but was a flash possessed when I put it on my K-30, it just kept strobing on its own after I took a shot an there were never any properly exposes pics with it. At least with Metz, we get a user upgradable flash.
01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #28

Hi Bob,

I think you mean page 143 as page 134 is in German. I too saw this and the same thing happes for me, I get the initial display sans the aperture display and when I touch the screen again, nothing happens. I do see that screen when I turn on the flash off cam so it has to be a communication problem between camera and flash. Thanks for verifying this. I was afraid that I had a camera or flash problem but now it seems that this is just a flash issue that is seen in all of the 52's on a K-30. So far, I have only received a confirmation email from Metz that a ticket was created but have not received any other reply. I will post the reply here when I get it.

As for exposure, my findings are the same as yours with aperture changes. I played with it a little more and find that ISO changes do not seem to be factored in at all by the flash and it will blow out inhigher ISO in all of the tests that I have done. Overall though, I am happy with the flash and have taken some great pics with it, just can't wait til Metz catches up with the firmware upgrade for the K-30. I must say though that it is lightyears ahead of the Vivitar DF-383 that I had which worked well on my K-x but was a flash possessed when I put it on my K-30, it just kept strobing on its own after I took a shot an there were never any properly exposes pics with it. At least with Metz, we get a user upgradable flash.
I guess my dislexia kicked in there. Good that we see the same thing. Certainly something going on there and as you say and it will be good to get that fixed but as you say it is quite usable and gives consistent results. I have deliberately steered away from high ISO so I haven't seen that issue.

I looked at several other flashes and then the 52 popped up. The fact that it had user capability to upgrade firmware was a big factor. Plus there are tons of features in the flash and for me a big factor also was that I was able to get it in Canada and get a Canadian warranty. With other flashes I was looking at I was going to have to order from the US which is not a deal stopper but just added inconvenience.

I will look forward to seeing the Metz reply. In the meantime enjoy the camera and the flash.

Bob
01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Hmmmmmm

Received a reply back from Metz today:

Unfortunately, there is an error in the manual. That section of the manual was likely a "cut & paste" from another manual. The display of the 52 AF-1 in Pentax version works in the same way like also the original Pentax flash units do. Pentax flash units “AF 540 FGZ” and “AF 360 FGZ” do not display such information as settings, symbols, or values shown for ISO and aperture on flash unit’s display. Because the Metz program is based on the original Pentax the 52 AF-1P digital also does not show settings, symbols, or values for ISO and aperture on its display.

I have never owned a 540 or 360 so I cannot confirm this to be true, but in the product pictures that I have seen, I am sure I have seen camera settings on them.
01-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #30

Received a reply back from Metz today:

Unfortunately, there is an error in the manual. That section of the manual was likely a "cut & paste" from another manual. The display of the 52 AF-1 in Pentax version works in the same way like also the original Pentax flash units do. Pentax flash units “AF 540 FGZ” and “AF 360 FGZ” do not display such information as settings, symbols, or values shown for ISO and aperture on flash unit’s display. Because the Metz program is based on the original Pentax the 52 AF-1P digital also does not show settings, symbols, or values for ISO and aperture on its display.

I have never owned a 540 or 360 so I cannot confirm this to be true, but in the product pictures that I have seen, I am sure I have seen camera settings on them.
Sounds very much like "but we have always done it that way" answer. Not sure why when they were making changes to the firmware anyway they didn't change the code to provide that functionality. Guess it isn't critical but . . .

Anyway Jim thanks for emailing them and posting their response.

Bob