Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #16

Original Poster
Drivingback - It can be embarrassing, too.... My godson, for whom I bought a Bridge Fuji late last year, and has been trying to get into HDR with it, rang me last night, knowing about my new camera... One of his first questions was - "Tried the HDR yet with TIFFs from that big new sensor...?" I had to say, "No - on a tripod you can't use a Timer for AEB - or any Bracketing..., and, hand-held for AEB, you can't use Timer OR Shake Reduction..."

There was a bit of a pause - then Donny said, "Unky Dave - you're joking, right...?" and started laughing. I cut in and said, "No - the camera just doesn't have those functions... "

At least, the kid got a laugh out of it.

Regards, Dave.

09-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Dave,

Quite a funny and at the same time embarrassing story. If the K-30 doesn't support Astrotracer (which seems more complicated) and Pentax decided it should be for the upper tier models, I would understand. But for a basic functionality as we have been discussing here I don't know anymore what to say... We could just be wasting our time here and Pentax won't listen but at least we have made our point.

Anyway best of luck in your photography projects!

Regards,

Chester
09-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #18

Original Poster
Chester - Thanks. A study of the K30 Menus seems to suggest that the separation/isolation of Timer, SR, and Bracketing, from each other, can only be deliberate - that is, it'd be difficult to do that as an 'oversight' or 'mishap'. It would have to be planned during the design of the controls and firmware, probably. So might not be possible to correct with an after-release firmware update.

I'm cringing a bit re telling that kid about the K30 "Video". An $800.00+ DSLR that has low-end Mono audio - and no socket for an external stereo mic...? When both my Canon SX10 and Fuji HS10 have stereo for video...

Oh, I see - perhaps Pentax expects us to have a Canon SX10 along to do the K30 video's audio.... The SX10 can record audio-only, good stereo at selectable quality 11k/22k/44k, has mic level control, and a wind filter. Use a clip-start clicker to sync the audio later, in editing.

If Pentax deliberately decided to cripple the video's audio (did Sony do that on theirs, too?) - why did they not at least provide a mic socket to compensate for that?

No, I didn't buy the K30 for doing video - I can use my Fuji HS10 for that - it has 1080 and 720 - both with stereo audio.

But if you only have one camera with you - and you unexpectedly wanted to grab something on video.......

Never mind - I did buy the K30 with its pentaprism for the old manual lenses - and that, I can say with great relief - it's doing superbly!

Best Regards, Dave.