Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

AEB + Timer?

I did a search to see if this has been mentioned - but it either hasn't been, or it's called something else.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the Manual or the Camera Menus correctly - but it seems that on this camera you can have Timer OR AEB - you can't use the Timer to shoot AEB...? It's nice that the AEB has +/- 5EV spread - and that's adjustable, as is the bias, but not actually having a Timer function for it seems odd. (My Canon SX10 and Fuji HS10 both have Timer for AEB.)

Maybe AEB + Timer is selectable for Custom - or in other settings....? Any ideas, please?

And if I don't soon find out what I've set by mishap, bumped, or wrongly selected - for the LCD to continue flashing (31-seconds, timed) after each setting adjustment - or something I should have set and haven't - I'll post about it....

Otherwise - the K30 seems to be a remarkable device.

Regards, Dave.

09-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Dave,

The first paragraph on this page explains how to enable the self-timer together in bracketing mode:
Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Drive Modes - PentaxForums.com
09-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Forum Member

Sorry Adam,

But, I'm not seeing it............you are saying you can use bracketing and self timer together? I guess I am missing something.
09-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Moo

That paragraph doesn't say anything about it... As far as I know, you can choose continuous, timer, IR remote, or bracketing. No combinations.
See here for earlier discussion about it.

09-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Adam - Thanks for such a quick reply. But, unless I'm missing something, that link shows a diagram that illustrates my problem - Timer is Item-3 across, Bracketing is Item-5 across. Can you hold a button down (etc) and select twice from that menu-bar? Or can you "select Bracketing", add to a Custom Save setting - and once it's saved, when in that Custom mode, you can select Timer from the > arrow?

Re the half-minute of LCD flashing at 'every' setting change - I must have done something causing that, but can't see what. Would doing a "Reset" take it back to default? That is - unless that flashing is normal.... The only other DSLR I've held and used a bit was a borrowed K200D, and it certainly didn't do that....

Regards, Dave.
09-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
I just tried setting the bracket 'push' mode, so the 3 shots are fired with 1 shutter press. Then set AEB. That setup I saved to User-1 custom mode. Went into that and checked that AEB works in 1-press mode - it did. Then attempted to add Timer as a selection, over the saved custom settings. Which resulted in the Timer working - but only 1 shot was made. Apparently Timer overrides AEB even done that way.

Wonder if a cheap remote would do that 1 shutter press for the push-mode AEB....?

Edit:- Did a full reset, then did Setup exactly as shown in the Review here. Long continuous flashing fixed - must have been something I 'selected' first-up.

(That's a superb and extremely informative Review!)

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 09-02-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Addit.
09-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who looked. I've just seen in another thread where a post says that "Sony and Pentax have crippled timer bracketing in the cameras". So there's no way to use the Timer for AEB. And - I've been studying the Manual page-by-page - I see that the camera turns off the Shake Reduction for AEB, anyway. Okay on a tripod - not, handheld.

Part of my intention to get a DSLR was to be able to get TIFFs out of RAWs from the bigger than 1/2.3 sensor in my HS10 (yes, the Fuji has Timer for AEB - and SR handheld - 4 modes, Shoot-only, Continuous, +Digital1, +Digital2 - all work for bracketing, + the 2 and 10 sec timer.) - for my HDR hobby. Seems I just assumed that a more expensive midrange "proper DSLR" would do all of that and with more options...

The K30 seems not to have Focus-Bracketing (like my SX10), either - or perhaps it's called something else in Pentax-ish....?

And, no - I'm not just 'commenting' from looking at forums and reviews - I have a K30 here - the Serial is on the Forum K30 Database.

Regards, Dave.

09-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
Thanks to everyone who looked. I've just seen in another thread where a post says that "Sony and Pentax have crippled timer bracketing in the cameras". So there's no way to use the Timer for AEB. And - I've been studying the Manual page-by-page - I see that the camera turns off the Shake Reduction for AEB, anyway. Okay on a tripod - not, handheld.

Part of my intention to get a DSLR was to be able to get TIFFs out of RAWs from the bigger than 1/2.3 sensor in my HS10 (yes, the Fuji has Timer for AEB - and SR handheld - 4 modes, Shoot-only, Continuous, +Digital1, +Digital2 - all work for bracketing, + the 2 and 10 sec timer.) - for my HDR hobby. Seems I just assumed that a more expensive midrange "proper DSLR" would do all of that and with more options...

The K30 seems not to have Focus-Bracketing (like my SX10), either - or perhaps it's called something else in Pentax-ish....?

And, no - I'm not just 'commenting' from looking at forums and reviews - I have a K30 here - the Serial is on the Forum K30 Database.

Regards, Dave.
So there is basically no options to make a mirror lock-up (which happens only when a timer is used) and make 3 bracketing shots?
09-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
Gorski - It seems not... When doing AEB 'without' presets, you have to press the shutter 3 times to get the std/under/over shots - which, coming from years of Bridge - Canon SX10 and Fuji HS10 P&S cameras, I hadn't expected! However it does have a 'push' mode, in which it will fire the 3 shots with 1 shutter press.

I then thought - set SR - and Timer to 2-sec - and that'd let you press the shutter and steady the camera until the Timer did the shot. No such luck - you can have Timer delay OR the SR - not both.

Was looking this afternoon at the (same price, body only) Canon 650D. Seems not to be quite the level the K30 is - no sealed body, pentamirror only, just to 1/4000th shutter - but it (did D/L the Manual) certainly handles bracketing differently... Maybe our function is as the post said - crippled in Sony and Pentax only.

Also - with the Fuji HS10 - 30x / 720mm-equiv - I've been used to, at mid to long zoom - bracing against something - going to MF (because its AF hunts badly) - setting 2-sec timer, with Shoot-Only anti-shake on - get the focus right - push the shutter button - and steady the camera until it fires... Works fairly well.

Was out this afternoon with the old Sigma 100-300mm on the K30 - and went to do the same... No - even in single-shot you can't have SR "and" Timer. Hmmmm.... Went to Manual - jacked the ISO up to 800 - shutter up past 1/2000 - and popped away. Checked the first few - adjusted a bit - and got a few not too bad... Perhaps that's the way to do the AEB hand-held, too - set the "push" to trigger the 3 shots with 1 press, with the shutter speed well up to compensate. Otherwise, use a tripod.

Noticed that the K30 Timer doesn't seem adjustable, like the SX10 - which has 2-30 seconds - I use 5-sec - enough for the 'vibes' to fade in a tripod - or to brace firmly, handheld...

But - very early days yet - there's sure to be work-arounds for all of these things - or somebody might write a Canon "CHDK" style firmware hack to add the "expecteds" in.

If you discover a good workaround for the Timer + SR thing - do please post back!

But other than a few niggles - the K30 certainly is a wondrous bit-of-work...!

Regards, Dave.
09-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #10

I am pretty much sure that timer+SR is not supported. When using a timer, it is expected that the camera will be in fixed position (on a tripod or at least put on something solid, table or a flat rock). However using timer + bracketing is something that K-5 supports and it is a fairly common tool for landscape photography, probably also for macro work. I am not really sure how much you gain, especially if lenses are not top sharp, but as I said it is a fairly common tool and not something one in a million user would need, so one could expect K-30 should support it. Seems that it does not.
09-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
Gorski - Perhaps, giving up on the SR being in it - there's a way to just do Timer + Bracketing? I can't believe that a 2012 release $800.00+ 'proper DSLR' - can't duplicate the functions of Bridge P&S Cameras half its price and 2 and 4 years older. Why would any Maker cripple cameras so badly?

It's not as if the K30 is so vastly advanced and costing so many $-thousands - that average, general users, family folk, aren't going to buy it.... And a lot of them will - like me - have been playing around with HDR and AEB with P&S cameras - and want to keep doing that with the better imaging DSLRs.

However - that's not a thing the Reviewers ever seem to test for - so buyers won't know that the K30 can't do it. No - it wouldn't have stopped me buying a K30 - to get pentaprism for manual lenses, it was sort-of between a low-use K7 and K30 - and my K30 has 3 years Warranty - much better in my financial situation.

Maybe one of the Advanced Pentax users knows the way around this....

Regards, Dave.
09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
Gorski - Perhaps, giving up on the SR being in it - there's a way to just do Timer + Bracketing? I can't believe that a 2012 release $800.00+ 'proper DSLR' - can't duplicate the functions of Bridge P&S Cameras half its price and 2 and 4 years older. Why would any Maker cripple cameras so badly?
Regards, Dave.
We have to deal with this.

Last edited by jeff knight; 10-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.
09-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
Jeff - I was rather hoping that you could set AEB - or other bracketing (for tripod, as you can't engage SR with Timer anyway) - set the "Pusher" mode (3 shots from 1 shutter press), and "fire" that with a low-cost Remote. Now I read that you can't do any bracketing setup with Remote, anyway.

But - the idea that you can't, hand-held, be using the SR - seems to be a 'usual' thing to do, hand-held - then use the 2-second Timer to give time to "brace steady" after pressing the shutter, just feels totally peculiar to me... Sure, I'm used to doing that with my 'lesser' Bridge P&S devices - SX10 and HS10... So perhaps there are "more advanced" ways to do it with Pentax DSLRs...

At present I'm turning the SR off, setting 2-second Timer, and jacking-up the shutter speed. As ISO 1600 is surprisingly clean, even with JPEGs - I'm setting the ISO Auto range to 100-1600, using Av - and Timer. That seems to keep the shutter speeds well up, outdoors in daylight. If not - set ISO 800 or 1600. Or go to Manual, jack the shutter speed up, and adjust to suit - it shows you the EV error.

But as you say - it does cause some disappointment here - I thought that an $800.00 DSLR - particularly a Pentax! - would be vastly superior in every tiniest nuance of adjustments and settings to my P&S devices.... Very puzzling....

And yes - I have looked very carefully at "other makes" - including the new, same price, body only, Canon 650D. I have the Manual... And have viewed the Y/T clip in which the demonstrator advises that - even with an IS lens - the 2-second timer can be used "to brace the camera and ensure the IS has time to work".

I'm well aware that the K30 is ahead of the 650D in other features I want - but certainly not on this one.

Edit:- As the Timer doesn't work with SR, for what I described above, being able to preset Custom Timer settings would be expected. At times, 2-sec is too short, and 10-sec too long, for the 'steadying' after pressing the Shutter button. With my P&S Canon SX10, Timer can be set in 1-seconds from 2-10 seconds, then in increments from 10-30 seconds. (It can then fire 1-10 shots if preset enabled.) 5-secs for camera steadying is comfortable.

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 09-05-2012 at 05:11 PM.
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

Original Poster
Further to the above, I'm wondering if, with a firmware upgrade, "another" timer-device could be added, perhaps with adjustable times between 2 and 10 seconds - as the present Timer is apparently on the same control as the Bracketing and other functions one wants timer ability with. They might add an option for 3 or 5 images for AEB - and Focus Bracketing - with the "new timer". It isn't as if the K30 is an El-Cheapo entry-level camera - Pentax refers to it as "midrange".

While they're at it, they might make Bracketing available via Remote, too - it's not as if it, or the above, "can't be done"......

Attrib. Canon 650D Manual

By exwintech at 2012-09-06

Regards, Dave.
09-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Well you guys seem to be taking this better than me. I am infuriated at Pentax-Ricoh crippling this otherwise fine camera. This is corporate greed in action, pure and simple, and will be the last Pentax product I will ever purchase.

Pentax needs to know how unhappy some of us are!
Yes, I hope Pentax is reading the forums and give us a firmware update for this! This is really quite frustrating on a "Mid-level" camera. I mean it is CLEARLY JUST CRIPPLED by Pentax. If we switch to HDR mode on the K-30 even on my old K-x you can use an IR Remote and it shoots 3 shots then automatically blends them! So why disable it on the bracketing modes! This is really quite a shame Pentax! I hope we all make some noise and make Pentax do firmware updates for these cameras. I don't want to buy a separate cable release when I already have a tiny IR Remote!!!!!