Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Well, as you might expect it varies a lot from shot to shot. I shoot RAW exclusively, and generally I use Lightroom 4 with 100 for sharpening at a 1.0 radius (default). I usually bump up the contrast slightly (though in a few cases, like the misty morning shots I actually gave it negative contrast), knock down the highlights, bump shadows, slightly bump whites (gives the image a bit of "pop"), lower black levels by a bit more than I increased white levels (also makes it pop a bit), do about 10-25 on the clarity slider, and 10-25 on the vibrance. The only other thing I do pretty much every time is turn on the CA correction under the Lens Corrections submenu. I use a lot of the Graduated Filter to balance out overexposed and underexposed areas in noonday shots, too.

All of this was determined by a lot of trial and error, though, so I suggest just getting LR4 and playing around with it as much as possible to develop your own style.
Yeal thanks. I just struggle sometimes to get things looking so crisp.

09-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #17

Some day I'll be there taking photos of such an amazing nature..
09-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
Amazing work. Would love to know what you do post production and sharpening wise?
Well, as you might expect it varies a lot from shot to shot ... All of this was determined by a lot of trial and error ...
Thank you very much for nice pictures. They look amazing and I wonder how they compare to the original JPGs from the camera.
I would be very interested to compare some of them side-by-side.
May be with additional information how long the post production took you for specific pictures?
As a RAW beginner I could learn much about benefit of post production.

Is there any option in this forum to realize a mouse hover effect for hyperlinked images?
In order to switch between two image files (original JPG and processed DNG2JPG result)?
Or any other option for convenient "before/after" comparisions?
09-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tarola Quote
cool stuff men, i have a k-30 and lr4 and is a great combo! but i have to say that when i upload my DNG`S to LR, the photos tend to desaturate and sometimes to underexpose and need to boost up saturation again. i really like the color saturation found on the k-r, k-x, and k10 and with my k-30 im getting closer to that color using the portrait profile, can you give any advice about getting the best color of my pentax camera? .. you can ask me any question too.. brilliant images!
Well, RAW is RAW... color profiles don't apply when you use RAW, which is all I use for personal shooting. Unfortunately I rarely if ever shoot JPEG, so I can't really comment on the picture modes included in the camera firmware. When developing RAWs in Lightroom I adjust each shot to my memory of the place/time, or else I go for an artistic look that doesn't necessarily correspond to reality.

09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Plentax Quote
Thank you very much for nice pictures. They look amazing and I wonder how they compare to the original JPGs from the camera.
I would be very interested to compare some of them side-by-side.
May be with additional information how long the post production took you for specific pictures?
As a RAW beginner I could learn much about benefit of post production.

Is there any option in this forum to realize a mouse hover effect for hyperlinked images?
In order to switch between two image files (original JPG and processed DNG2JPG result)?
Or any other option for convenient "before/after" comparisions?
I can't really compare these to original JPEGs since I don't save JPEGs, but I can definitely post some side-by-side comparisons from the original RAWs if you like. Just tell me which shots.

PP time really depends... if I work on a series of shots from the same location/with the same lighting, I can often "Copy settings from previous" in Lightroom, which basically lets me PP a bunch of photos in the same way very quickly. New lighting/subject matter means a new PP style. Starting from scratch on a picture I'd say I spend anywhere from 2-5 minutes, typically.

I don't think the forum has such an option as the one you describe, but I wish it did... would be very cool!
09-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
Forum Member

I can't really compare these to original JPEGs since I don't save JPEGs, but I can definitely post some side-by-side comparisons from the original RAWs if you like. Just tell me which shots....
Interesting, that you do not save JPGs. I do this, because K-30 offers automatic correction (lens, chromatic abberation, cropping, white balance) for JPG. So I can compare the internal JPG processing of K-30 with my own editing actions. Of course this JPG is also included as preview in the DNG file itself. But depending on Software the DNG preview can be modified, so I prefer to keep one original JPG as reference. Due to some other reasons I prefer for example to replace the DNG preview with lower resolution JPGs.

I would appreciate if you can publish just one selected side-by-side comparision for one shot. Perhaps one where you spend most effort for processing and the difference between both images is most impressive? Thanks!
09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Wow I LOOOOVED the pictures. Nice work!
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's one side-by-side example:

I don't typically mess with the saturation slider too much, but in this case I wanted to give the image some extra punch.