Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to forward this post directly to Pentax so that you get the reply you deserve Stay tuned!
thank you

01-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian
MegaPower's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 561
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to forward this post directly to Pentax so that you get the reply you deserve Stay tuned!
thumbup to Adam.
You got us covered
01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
The technical assistance finally replied my question about why the warranty was not covering my camera

QuoteQuote:
It's not covered by warranty, because there is water in the camera. Every electronic part inside the camera is broken because of water.
So I asked if couldn't be a case of bad sealing.

QuoteQuote:
The Camera is just water resistant not water proof.
The same speech of the day that I left the camera :|
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to forward this post directly to Pentax so that you get the reply you deserve Stay tuned!
I have not received a reply from Pentax yet.
I tried to contact them through the website application form and I'm waiting for a reply.

Would you know a better way to do this?

02-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Forum Member
Khoff2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 84
I am very interested in the outcome of this ad I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the K-30. If Pentax will not honor their product, i will sell off my pentax gear and look elsewhere. You can forward this to them as well.
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
I am very interested in the outcome of this ad I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the K-30. If Pentax will not honor their product, i will sell off my pentax gear and look elsewhere. You can forward this to them as well.
Hello Khoff2,

I will send my camera this week to another Pentax Service, I post news asap
02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 205
threads like these make me wonder if pentax really thoughtfully put weather-sealing on the camera, or just put it on there as a marketing thing. It could just be a marketing ploy, where they get you to buy the camera because of weather-sealing, and then they take into account how many customers will actually use it in weather conditions, vs the amount of repair request they will get when the cameras get damaged due to poor sealing.
02-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #23
Senior Member
SirBismuth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 126
My K-30 got wet for the first time ever the other day (light shower), and is no the worse for wear!

B

03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member
kshapero's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 382
I have the K-5 and I can tell you that the weatherproofing in rain is outstanding. Pushing my daughter towards a K-30. Can we expect the same water sealing as on the K-5?
03-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
I hope my problem is a bad seal + bad technical assistance
04-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #26
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
I finally had my camera repaired by Pentax Portugal/Espanha \o/

I've just send an email to pentax with some questions:
- How much "Weather Sealed" is Pentax K30
- What caused the infiltration of water in the body?
- If the cause of leakage has been a failure such as a bad seal, this problem is solved?
- With the infiltration of water in the body, there must have been contact of water with the battery. Was checked the battery?
- If was cheched the lens?

As the technical assistance of Berlin told me that:
(a) the warranty would not cover because it had water on camera
(b) All internal parts to almost broken, the repair is unefficient

Also asked about this information. The item B worries me, because if that was true, I think the ideal would be to replace the equipment ...

Sorry for my english
04-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #27
Senior Member
dragra's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 238
I think the K-30 is sealed allright, but the problem might be in the ports. I noticed that the (rubber) port covers do need some extra push for snug fit.

I didn't have a problem with weather sealing so far, not with the old K20D and even not with the K-r, which can easy take some light rain, without being WR.

Last edited by dragra; 04-16-2013 at 07:38 AM.
04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 698
I think the main problem is the zoom. Actuating the zoom when the camera is wet will inevitably draw in water somewhere no matter how well it is sealed as air needs to get in to fill in the displaced volume.
The only practical way to have it fully weather sealed is to have for the lens to have internal zoom such that the volume of air in the camera does not change when zooming.
One great shortcoming I find is the lack of information in the manual regarding weather sealing. It is only mentioned in passing and most of the manual is still written as if it is for an ordinary non-protected camera.
All weather proof / water proof equipment requires special care and attention to complement the job that the actual weather sealing does but information in that regard is sadly missing.

Perhaps the K-5 did not have as many problems as the K-30 because most K-5 owners use predominantly prime lenses whereas most K-30 users seem to use the 18-55WR or the 18-115WR, so the K-5 might rarely have to deal with the zoom vacuum pump problem. I don't think the K-5 does actually have any thing that will prevent water being sucked in as one zooms to a longer focal length.
04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I think the main problem is the zoom. Actuating the zoom when the camera is wet will inevitably draw in water somewhere no matter how well it is sealed as air needs to get in to fill in the displaced volume.
The only practical way to have it fully weather sealed is to have for the lens to have internal zoom such that the volume of air in the camera does not change when zooming.
One great shortcoming I find is the lack of information in the manual regarding weather sealing. It is only mentioned in passing and most of the manual is still written as if it is for an ordinary non-protected camera.
All weather proof / water proof equipment requires special care and attention to complement the job that the actual weather sealing does but information in that regard is sadly missing.

Perhaps the K-5 did not have as many problems as the K-30 because most K-5 owners use predominantly prime lenses whereas most K-30 users seem to use the 18-55WR or the 18-115WR, so the K-5 might rarely have to deal with the zoom vacuum pump problem. I don't think the K-5 does actually have any thing that will prevent water being sucked in as one zooms to a longer focal length.
I agree about the manual!
I have no idea what kind of special care I should take, beside don't dive the camera in water and open any compartment while the body is wet.
04-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #30
Senior Member
SirBismuth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 126
Took my K-30 (& 18-135 WR)out in a fairly heavy rain yesterday (couldn't resist the light and natural "softbox"-effect that was going on), and it seems to have survived ok. Needless to say, first made sure all ports/doors were closed properly, and dried it off a bit when I came back in, and also made sure not to open it while there was evidence of damp on it. Will only download and PP the photos in the next few days, so should be dry enough by then (and if any make the cut, will post them on PF! )

Really considering another WR lens as well.

B
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
card, k-30, k-50, k30, lens, live-view, minutes, pentax k30, pentax k50, rain, sd, water
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 vs K30? CTR01 Pentax K-5 135 06-22-2014 06:26 AM
Streets Have Rain, Have K30 Inexorable Post Your Photos! 4 08-13-2012 12:43 PM
First Problem with K30 LaurenOE Pentax K-30 & K-50 35 05-24-2012 01:02 AM
K-r successor: K30 LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 653 05-23-2012 11:12 AM
Haka, rugby and rain and RAIN Arpe Post Your Photos! 15 05-14-2009 06:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top