Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2013, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #31

Photos: Albums
I still think the ports (card door and A/V port on the opposite side) are most problematic, much more than the lens can be. In case of exposure to heavy rain your hands get wet and while you are shooting and holding the main grip (or the left side grip) you are pumping water with some pressure into the grip area.

In the past I have almost submerged K20D into sea water (with DA35 Ltd. attached), but no issue whatsoever occured, except that I had to clean the lens and camera from ground up later. I believe the seals on K20D (and on K-5) have better WR capabilities than the K-30 has. This is just an assumption.

04-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by ecureuill Quote
I finally had my camera repaired by Pentax Portugal/Espanha \o/

I've just send an email to pentax with some questions:
- How much "Weather Sealed" is Pentax K30
- What caused the infiltration of water in the body?
- If the cause of leakage has been a failure such as a bad seal, this problem is solved?
- With the infiltration of water in the body, there must have been contact of water with the battery. Was checked the battery?
- If was cheched the lens?

As the technical assistance of Berlin told me that:
(a) the warranty would not cover because it had water on camera
(b) All internal parts to almost broken, the repair is unefficient

Also asked about this information. The item B worries me, because if that was true, I think the ideal would be to replace the equipment ...

Sorry for my english
I got a response from Reflecta (Pentax distributor at Portugal and Spain)

1. This model is resistant to light rain, splashing water, dust, temperature up to -10.
2. The infiltration may have been caused by a flow of rain / water more intense or continued presence of water in the machine (read page 6 of the instructions)
3. You can use the machine without problems as indicated in the instruction manual of the machine and observing that I mentioned in point 1

I read the page 6 of manual and the instructions is the same for a non WR camera...
04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Took my K-30 (& 18-135 WR)out in a fairly heavy rain yesterday
B
Have a look at my last post with the response of Pentax distributor, they said that Pentax K-30 is resistant to light rain

I should have bought 18-135 instead 18-55 +50-200 :/
04-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecureuill Quote
Have a look at my last post with the response of Pentax distributor, they said that Pentax K-30 is resistant to light rain

I should have bought 18-135 instead 18-55 +50-200 :/
Yeah, I did indeed read it, so far my K-30 seems happy. While I was out in the rain, the aperture didn't want to change in Av mode (but could've been due to the battery being in the yellow already), so just switched it on and off, and all was fine again!

I also considered that kit, but went for the 18-135, now I want the 50-200 WR, oh, and all the DA*'s! For some reason, my bank manager quivers in his boot at the thought!

B

05-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went out in the pouring rain today ( And I mean pouring) took about a dozen shots before I could not handle getting drenched anymore. Nary a complaint from the K-30.
05-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #36

Photos: Albums
I also recently tested out my K-30 in a steady rain, using the D-FA 100mm Macro WR - unbelievable shots and no evidence of water in the camera/lens, although when I moved the focus ring after drying it off inside, I noticed some water in the focus scale and streaks on the barrel that extends when you focus, so I just let it dry out for about a day before changing the lens. I was wondering if this might be conducive to mold growing in the lens at some point??

I've also used the WR kit lenses (18-55, 50-200) on the ocean, getting splashed by sea water as well as in sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures here in Minnesota in January. No issues (knock on wood).