Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone use the K30 in the rain?

I was out in some not very heavy rain today, and after 5 minutes or so I noticed the rear LCD went dark. Not totally off, just about half brightness. I thought that was weird and decided to cut short my first trip out in the rain with my new camera so I went home to get out of it, which took about 5 more minutes, so I was out for around 10 minutes total.

When I got in I turn my K30 on to look at the pics I had shot and I noticed it made a weird buzzing like noise when it turned on and switched immediately into Live-view. I tried to turn live-view off and it wouldn't work and that's when I noticed it was jumping between different shooting modes, Tv, Av, and P, even though I wasn't turning the mode dial.

I knew this was likely due it water so I immediately turned it off, dried off the outside with a towel and removed the battery, SD card and lens. When I popped the sd card out it was wet inside and the PC port on the opposite side of the body also had water in it despite both having been securely sealed while outside. There was no water inside the lens, which was the 18-135 WR kit lens.

Now I'm waiting for it to dry for a few days before I try it out again, and I'm praying I don't have to send it back but I don't think I'll ever use it near water again, which is the main reason I bought it as I'm often outdoors shooting in damp environments.

Has anyone had any issues with weather sealed pentax camera's leaking?

09-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa... that was a close call. I've heard of several issues before but those were mostly worse weather situations. I hope everything's fine after you dried the cam, and if you still can (under warranty) have some experts check up on the insides to make sure all seals are good... but that really seems to be a leak.
09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a bad seal, because if the WR is anything like what is on my K-5 those conditions are no big deal.
I've used mine with the 18-135 in heavy rain for extended periods without an issue.
09-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So after a day and a half I turned my k30 on and everything seems to work ok except for the mode dial. I turn through it and it will only switch between P, Movie, user 1, and scene, no matter what I set it to. Looks like I'll be contacting B&H later today about it. I know it's been 45 days since I bought is so I'm past their 30 day return policy, does anyone know if they might still replace a faulty unit?

09-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, sorry you had this experience, but it's still under warranty. I'd definitely let Pentax know about it if B&H won't help. It really is a Pentax repair issue. But B&H is great, so they may help you out.

I have had my K-30 out in a rainshower once, not heavy rain, but a pretty good shower. I had no problems other than the front of the lens fogging up from the humidity, which isn't really a problem but is aggravating.
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by petmis Quote
I was out in some not very heavy rain today, and after 5 minutes or so I noticed the rear LCD went dark. Not totally off, just about half brightness. I thought that was weird and decided to cut short my first trip out in the rain with my new camera so I went home to get out of it, which took about 5 more minutes, so I was out for around 10 minutes total.

When I got in I turn my K30 on to look at the pics I had shot and I noticed it made a weird buzzing like noise when it turned on and switched immediately into Live-view. I tried to turn live-view off and it wouldn't work and that's when I noticed it was jumping between different shooting modes, Tv, Av, and P, even though I wasn't turning the mode dial.

I knew this was likely due it water so I immediately turned it off, dried off the outside with a towel and removed the battery, SD card and lens. When I popped the sd card out it was wet inside and the PC port on the opposite side of the body also had water in it despite both having been securely sealed while outside. There was no water inside the lens, which was the 18-135 WR kit lens.

Now I'm waiting for it to dry for a few days before I try it out again, and I'm praying I don't have to send it back but I don't think I'll ever use it near water again, which is the main reason I bought it as I'm often outdoors shooting in damp environments.

Has anyone had any issues with weather sealed pentax camera's leaking?
Did your camera get covered by the warranty?

I have the same problem with mine, but the techinical assistence told me that they can't do anything under warranty, because K-30 is not water-proof.

I was taking photos (with WR Lens) and started to rain, but I didn't worry about it because all the qualities listed in the Pentax K-30 site: "When you're shooting with the PENTAX K-30, there's no need to come in out of the rain"; "Full weather sealing throughout the entire body ensures worry-free use in any weather condition"; "Never take a rain check"
01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ecureuill Quote
Did your camera get covered by the warranty? I have the same problem with mine, but the techinical assistence told me that they can't do anything under warranty, because K-30 is not water-proof. I was taking photos (with WR Lens) and started to rain, but I didn't worry about it because all the qualities listed in the Pentax K-30 site: "When you're shooting with the PENTAX K-30, there's no need to come in out of the rain"; "Full weather sealing throughout the entire body ensures worry-free use in any weather condition"; "Never take a rain check"
Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. As long as you don't dunk your camera in water the warranty will cover repairs if the weather sealing fails.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Wow - sorry to hear you have had this problem. I took my K-30 out in the snow for over an hour today and it got pretty wet but (touch wood) I haven't experienced any of these problems. The K-30 is billed as having these seals and being useable in the rain, so it would concern me if they refused to honour the warranty as a result of use in the rain. As ecureuill says, this is a selling point of the K-30. How can they not honour it if you have a bad seal?

EDIT: Actually, I have a question on this too. What happens if you use the K-30 and the seals seem to be ok but then you use a standard lens (ie not WR)? Do you only put the lens at risk, or are you putting the camera body at risk too?

Last edited by ooblyboo; 01-20-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Follow-up question
01-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ooblyboo Quote
Wow - sorry to hear you have had this problem. I took my K-30 out in the snow for over an hour today and it got pretty wet but (touch wood) I haven't experienced any of these problems. The K-30 is billed as having these seals and being useable in the rain, so it would concern me if they refused to honour the warranty as a result of use in the rain. As ecureuill says, this is a selling point of the K-30. How can they not honour it if you have a bad seal?

EDIT: Actually, I have a question on this too. What happens if you use the K-30 and the seals seem to be ok but then you use a standard lens (ie not WR)? Do you only put the lens at risk, or are you putting the camera body at risk too?
The non WR lenses do not have a o-ring at the mount so yes, I think that you would be risking the camera also.
01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. As long as you don't dunk your camera in water the warranty will cover repairs if the weather sealing fails.
I was travelling and I have to let the camera in Berlin.
There they said that probrably the warranty would not covered, but they would try...

Then, I received an e-mail from them, saying that they can not repair the camera under warranty. The camera was full of water, all internal parts was almost broken...

I'm just waiting that they send me the camera (I'm in Portugal) and an explanation of why warranty is not covering and I'll try to contact Pentax to solve this.

I'm very disappointed whit Pentax, because it's not the first time that I have this kind of problem. I had a W90 that get water inside the body because of a design project problem, and unhappyly as I didn't used to use it underwater the body just get water just a few months after the warranty period end.

I had search for similar problems and I found a considerable number.
The most ironic is in Pentax's facebook page (here). Pentax had asked to customers for great photos taken in the elements that would be featured in some promotion showcasing the weatherproof qualities of certain PENTAX models and there is this replies:

"Following the advice here - took my k-7 for a spin today in the september weather with the WR lens. Moisture inside it (looks like the camerahouse sealing was faulty). ((( Hopefully it (lens house) will dry out if I leave it in a dry room with some moisture-catchers." (Alexander Norman)

"I could send you some awesome photos, but my WG-1 is not waterproof. It gets moisture inside and the lens fogs up. I have only had it for 2 months and barely got to use it before I encountered some water and discovered that it was not waterproof. Disappointed to say the least." (Tim Barfield)
01-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm very disappointed whit Pentax, because it's not the first time that I have this kind of problem. I had a W90 that get water inside the body because of a design project problem, and unhappyly as I didn't used to use it underwater the body just get water just a few months after the warranty period end.
I don't blame you! If it was just a little rain, though, how could the camera be full of water?

Also, you were using a WR lens, right?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The non WR lenses do not have a o-ring at the mount so yes, I think that you would be risking the camera also.
Thanks - not something I will repeat! Think mine is fine fortunately - it was snowing a lot but I don't really think any of it really would have penetrated. Should have bought a WR lens right at the start of course!
01-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post your complaints on the Pentax Facebook page. Their PR should help you get it repaired under warranty, otherwise their reputation regarding WR is worth nothing.
01-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Post your complaints on the Pentax Facebook page. Their PR should help you get it repaired under warranty, otherwise their reputation regarding WR is worth nothing.
I tried this, because I saw that they used to reply customers with problems like this.
But they ignored me :/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2652594531394&set=o.101083642692&type=1

As I was very upset, maybe I was a little bit aggressive in my post...
01-20-2013, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I tried this, because I saw that they used to reply customers with problems like this.
But they ignored me :/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2652594531394&set=o.101083642692&type=1

As I was very upset, maybe I was a little bit aggressive in my post...
I'm going to forward this post directly to Pentax so that you get the reply you deserve Stay tuned!

Adam