Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #1

K-30 - control wheel locks up

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been on here but I thought I'd chime in with a little question. I've recently purchased a K-30, and I have noticed a peculiar problem when doing a lot of shooting. Occasionally the control wheels will 'lock in place' in software. Physically they are fine, but the camera won't register my turning them. The first time this happened I was photographing an event and I panicked to the core of my being for about 4 seconds (I must be getting slow) then turned it off and on again. All was fine. It's happened a couple of times since, and my response has been the same.

Now, I was thinking of upgrading my other camera to a K-30 as well because - frankly - I think it's a great camera. The K200D come again with blistering high ISO performance, but I'd like to touch base with you guys first to see if there's anything peculiar going on.

Is this a known problem with the K-30 to which we can look to a firmware update fix (I don't think so, I haven't seen any other reference to it in my travels) or do I have a very marginally faulty unit?

J-P

09-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm knocking wood furiously, but I have had my K-30 for a little over a month now and I have not yet experienced this. I suppose it could be fixed in firmware if it's a known issue, but if you can get an exchange, you might want to do that.
09-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Same happened to me.

This has happened to me. In particular my camera would not go in to manual M mode when i turned the knob there. I called Pentax and they told me there is no known issue on the matter; they requested i return my camera and get it replaced. Crutchfield made it easy and even sent the replacement camera before i sent mine back. After i got the replacement i experimented a bit more by resetting my camera. This seemed to fix the issue.
09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys, I gave SRS Microsystems a call, and they hadn't heard of a similar problem. They suggested I take the camera out at the weekend and shoot a lot but if it happens again and especially if it becomes more regular I should send it back for Pentax to take a look at. Their fear is like mine, however, if it's not happening very often then Pentax won't find it upon inspection.

I'll post here if anything further occurs.

Thanks!

09-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #5

Did you try resetting the camera?

If you haven't done so already try resetting the camera. This got my k-30 out of its funk. The knob options registered on the LCD afterwards.
09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-30 works fine most of the time, but the firmware seems to be buggy and every once in a while it does something odd, like you're describing, or it freezes up. Usually removing the battery for a few seconds fixes it. My K-x never had any similar problems, so I'm optimistic that Pentax will be able to iron things out in a future firmware release.
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hasn't a non responsive control wheel been talked about since the K7 days or perhaps before? I know I've seen similar posts It seems that if you spin it fast, it won't register your change.

Some folks figured out there might be too much lube and that it desensitizes the contacts, so there are some posts mentioning some sort of degreaser.

I am pleases with the overall low reports of negative issues for the K-30 as opposed to the K-5. I think Ricoh might be having a good impact.
09-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

Not quite sure if this is related, but what I noticed is that the control wheels don't register new change until the state has actually updated. Case in point, I was using choosing AF points using the two dials, and I noticed a lag, that is let's say I want to move from the left-most AF point to the right-most. Normally, you would think 5 quick clicks on the wheel would move it leftmost to the rightmost point, but that is not the case. If you move too fast, it doesn't register, and you may need 8-9 turns.

It bogges me why it's done this way.

09-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Ist's ( and maybe later) have a switch test panel in the debug where you can exercise all of the buttons/switches and see that they have activity.
I don't know if the new Pentaxes have that.
09-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've had this happen to me once, when my K-30 was a few days old. Hasn't happened to me since and it's had a fair bit of use /knockwood.

As stated off/on fixed it.
09-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #11

Mine was not showing "M" even when the dial was set. Instead it showed "TaV".
A reset fixed it but then it did the same thing when I was setting the upper ISO limit.
Another reset fixed it again and so far the problem hasn't cropped up yet. Fingers crossed.