Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What hot shoe / PC adapter for older flashgun?

I have a Nissin 4500Gt Flash Gun (handheld old monster) that I use with my film cameras.

I understand some of these older Flash Guns can do damage to a DSLR like the K-30 unless you have a proper adaptor?

Any recommendations for a proper adapter?

Thanks

09-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wein safe sync is your best bet but it will cost you about $40 unless you get lucky on Ebay or Amazon. At one point there was a guy on Amazon who was selling them for about $22 but he's gone now unfortunately.
09-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check this site Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages for trigger voltages of lots of flashes. As I remember Pentax is good to about 20 v other members please help! You'll note that some of the older units present 200 or volts at the synch plug! That sort of voltage can truly frie electronics!

If you don't find the Nissin listed you can measure the trigger voltage with a digital volt-ohm meter, or VOM, which you can pick up for about $20 at Lowe's or Home Despot. Why a digital VOM? I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has to do with its impedance being much higher than inexpensive galvanometer VOMs, and thus less likely to give incorrect readings.
09-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all, My Nissin was listed at 4.6V but I will still take a reading with my meter. And most likely just buy the Wein Safe Sync no matter what.