Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DNRDNI Quote
The weather resistance is not really a factor in my decision making process, and the 18-135 has such mixed reviews.
If the weather-resistance is not a factor for you then definitely stay away from the Pentax 18-135, because that's the only thing the lens has going for it.

The Tamron and Sigma zooms definitely have to make compromises, but many of their issues can be fixed in post-processing. I have the older Tamron 18-250 (that Pentax rebadged just as they will the Tamron 18-270) and I'm repeatedly surprised how good that lens is despite its incredible range. Its main shortcoming is its limited DOF control.

11-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If the weather-resistance is not a factor for you then definitely stay away from the Pentax 18-135, because that's the only thing the lens has going for it.

The Tamron and Sigma zooms definitely have to make compromises, but many of their issues can be fixed in post-processing. I have the older Tamron 18-250 (that Pentax rebadged just as they will the Tamron 18-270) and I'm repeatedly surprised how good that lens is despite its incredible range. Its main shortcoming is its limited DOF control.
I have both the Pentax 18-135 WR and the Tamron 18-250.

Initially I had got the 18-135 just for the WR. I thought I would be using it only occasionally when then was a good chance I would need its WR. However I ended up with it being the lens that spends most time on the camera and it is the Tamron that I put on when I am likely to need the longer focal length.

It somehow feels just right with the K30, but apart from that very subjective reason it has also excellent autofocus which is silent, fast and accurate.

As far as image quality is concerned I don't think there is a clear winner between the two, unless of course you need the longer focal length of the Tamron. The Tamron seems overall sharper at most focal lengths but the Pentax seems to have better colour rendition. The Pentax also seems sharper than the Tamron at the centre but poorer at the edges, so if you shoot with a subject in foreground and an out of focus background the Pentax would probably fare better whereas for landscapes, buildings and such you might not be too happy with it.

They both have some very noticeable distortion and chromatic aberration but it is easily fixed in Adobe Lightroom, and I would imagine also other PP software.