Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-30 "Okay" Button Stopped Working

I'm in Jerusalem for the Fall doing research, much of which involves taking pictures. I have loved my new K30, but yesterday the "Okay" button stopped working. It moves, but I don't feel the "click" and no menu choices can be activated by pressing "Okay." When I get home, I'll still be under warranty, but for now my K30 has much limited usefulness since I can't do anything with menus!

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions about how to resolve it?

Fortunately, I have my K5 here also, and that's no mean back-up. Still, I've come to like the K-30's marginally smaller, lighter package a lot, and it's AF is to me notably snappier. So if there is some easy fix for this, I'd love to know. If not, I'll stow it and send it in for warranty service in December.

If anyone has any insight on this, I'd be grateful.

09-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This may or may not be related to your problem, but a similar issue recently occured to me and my K-5 when I was using a older Kenko 1.4 teleconvertor and my DA*300. The OK button stopped working, the rear and top display started to flash intermittently, and the arrow buttons also only worked intermittently.

Take off the teleconvertor, put any standard Pentax lens back on, everything works normal.

Moral of the story: some accessory you are using may be playing havoc with your K-30 electronics.
09-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have never ever heard of Pentax having QC issues whatsoever that I am absolutely floored to hear that there is anything wrong at all with your K-30. It must be the rarest of the rarest incident that defies logic.

I am sorry for your trouble. But I am sure that Pentax has a very attentive customer service department.
09-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've not used any accessories that are not Pentax--really just using the DA 18-135 and the DA 50-300. The whole camera works normally except that the OK button does not have the tactile "click" and does not do anything. Customer service is I'm sure very nice, but I'm in Jerusalem until December and I don't know the time-frame for repairs from here.

09-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Normally I'd advise 'just give it a whack', but that might be risky.

Maybe just flick the OK button with the tip of your finger nail a few times. Maybe there is a small bit of fine dust or grit in between the micro-switch contacts or something, and a small tap or two might persuade the grit to move.
09-10-2012, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can simulate OK by setting the option and then half press the shutter button on many modes such as those in the info screen.
09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crewl1
You are a LIFE SAVER. Short of fixing my OK button, this at least restores some ability to use the camera. I guess without realizing it, my real question was "Okay I can't get this fixed, I know I can get it fixed when I'm home from Israel; can anyone help me restore functionality to my camera? Is there another way to do 'OK'?"

Thanks for detecting my "real" question. This works and doesn't affect my warranty the way improvised...analogue...solutions might.
09-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Glad it works as an interim fix for you.
I figured it out when I wanted to change an option quickly and impatiently pressed the shutter then when I went back to the option I noticed my change was saved.

09-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
@crewl1 - That was a very cool tip! I tried it and would definitely use it to change settings faster. Thank you!
@lawsonstone - Glad you are able to at least use your camera "decently" again.
09-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm relieved too, though I am also going to check with Pentax service here in Israel. The half-press shutter only works, so far, from the "Info" screen, not from regular menus. So for example, I can't delete pictures with it. Still, the camera can be used for the main core functions.

This also illustrates that every function, but especially the essential "pull the trigger" move, needs more than one means of execution. If the OK button fails, there needs to be another way to do that across the board somehow.
09-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes I have only used this method from the info screen. This is a long shot but maybe you can try PK Tether to see if you can control other options?
11-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #12

The left directional button (flash compensation) of my K-30 is suddenly not clicking correctly it has a weird (hollow) sound and it doesn't feel right. When you try to click it it doesn't have that positive feel as the other buttons. Although it is still working, when you press it, it would have that "delay" effect. Should I send my camera for repair for this little annoyance?

P.S. I posted here so as not to create any new thread. And the original poster might have experienced something like this? Thanks!
11-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #13

The feeling when pressing the button is as if the seal inside has been misplaced or broken. The button doesn't instantly go up after depressing it. I fear that if the camera gets wet, the button might be a weak point in getting water inside.