Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
White balance and odd buzzing sound

I noticed today, that even though I had my WB set to a fixed temperature, the colors would change severely as if WB was set to Auto.

One instance I'd have warm colors but the next very cold ones. Few exposures later the WB went back to the warmer side - this went back and forth a number of times and since I was out photographing a couple, I didn't stop to examine it further.

Another thing I noticed. The cam buzzes after taking a bunch of photos in continious exposure mode. I later tried to repeat this at home to understand it better. When I take a bunch of shots, the cam starts buzzing when the SD led turns on, and stop when the photo is displayed.

I then tried in single exposure mode, and I think same thing occurs in this mode as well, but only for a fraction of a second.

Anyone experienced anything similar or can explain this? The thing with WB could be a firmware bug, but the buzzing thing is worrying.

09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The solution to the white balance problem is to not use auto and/or shoot RAW. The camera does its best to guess what white is on every shot, sometimes it gets it wrong.
09-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't use AWB. That's the weird thing.
09-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I misread that first part, my guess would be the light was changing then.

09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is not the case as well. I just checked the imported photos. WB on all of them is currently set to "As Shot" in Lighroom - if I set it to something fixed, I get same overall tones.

I always shoot in RAW so it's not a biggie. But does look like a bug to me.
09-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This is curious. I checked into the K-30 manual as I used to see this behaviour in my K-7. There is a setting in the K-7 that is not present in the K30 (between your C10, and C11, that says "White balance adjustable range" and deals with behaviour of preset WB, and offers you to either fix it (which I have set), or leave the camera to auto adjust.

It sounds very much like the camera is auto-adjusting. Doesn't seem like you can do anything about it with the defined presets. I would try manually setting temperature WB with a card/ defined temperature, and see if that fixes the problem.

I take it you are also familiar with the option in the custom menu with respect to White balance during flash (C2, setting 10).

Last edited by Clarkey; 09-16-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typos
09-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Oh, as for the memory card thing - see if it happens on another card. Had a similar thing happen to me on my K200d.