Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Upgrading from a Pentax K-r

Hey guys!
I was able to sell my K-r here in Brazil, and i wanna buy another Pentax camera. I'm looking at the Pentax K-30.
Do you guys recommend it?
I'm here everyday and i keep reading topics and reviews, but i'm afraid to buy a newly released camera, that might have some problems.
I'm very excited to have focus peaking, WR, better grip, two wheels, better autofocus, better sensor and also a new camera (it's always good, isn't it?).
Are there any problems with the K-30? Wheel lock up? Flash problems? (my k-r flash suddenly stopped working, and i've been using it with a AF280T for 8 months now)Front/Backfocus?( i read that the k-30 doesnt FF nor BF, so thats a good sign).
Is the autofocus system faster, or just more accurate? (i read that it's the same as the k-5, just more accurate).
Thank you, and sorry to unload a million of questions

09-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-r and upgraded beginning of August to K-30. I couldn't be happier. So far (knocking wood!), I have had no problems with the K-30. And the improved AF is a big deal to me. It is more accurate and reliable and a bit faster. On some lenses the difference is more noticeable. I feel the FA77 is much faster to AF on the K-30 than it was on the K-r and also more accurate.

The high ISO performance is also better, and I love the brighter viewfinder and more controls. TAv mode is very cool, too!

I cannot seem to get the hang of focus peaking so I haven't really benefited from it yet. You may be different.
09-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Don't be afraid of the upgrade. You definitely won't regret it. Although my upgrade path was coming from a much lower specced camera in the K-x, I have loved the K-30 since getting it in July. No problems at all. And here are some photos I shot using focus peaking:

Flickr: drivingback's stuff tagged with focuspeaking

Just go for it!
09-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!
I guess i feel more confident now!

09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just one more thing. I scratched my K-r's focusing screen, but i have a spare one from a broken K200D (that a guy that was selling me a lens gave me).
I wanna put the K200D's one on my K-r to sell. Is it just the normal procedure? Do i have to move the shim or something like that?
Thanks!!

EDIT :
I was able to exchange the focusing screen...
One little thing : changing the focusing screen is scary as hell
But all went well

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 09-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've upgraded from K-R to K-30 in mid August. Apart from a few minor things it is an improvement in all respects. Although costing twice as much one sort of expects that.

I was a bit annoyed at the buttons being moved around to different places, which is a bit of an inconvenience as I still use the K-r and I often end up pressing the wrong buttons. If you do not intend to use the K-r any more then this should not be a problem. The button locations are not any worse, just different.

One thing I didn't like and hope they will fix in the next firmware release is that you cannot magnify the review image immediately. With the K-r just after taking a photo while the image review is showing you can turn the dial to magnify the image to quickly check that it is in focus and so on. With the K-r you have to press the play button and then turn the dial - and it then takes quite some time to react. I had got used to the instant review zoom on the K-r and really miss that.

A similar issue I found is with the playback. On the K-r one switches between the different view modes by repeatedly pressing the info button. For some reason on the K-30 they made it somewhat more cumbersome as you now press the info button, navigate with the 4 way controller and then press info or OK. I works, but it is unnecessarily cumbersome. Not a big deal I know, but why change something that worked so well?

These are of course rather minor issues and more than made up for by just about everything else that works better than (or at least as good as) the K-r.

One curious improvement (at least for me) is the position of the live view button. With the K-r I always end up in live view because I hit the button with my nose (I use the left eye for the viewfinder). With the K-30 this doesn't happen because of the new location of the button. I sometime hit the play button instead (which is now in that position) but that is no issue at all since a half press of the shutter fixes that.

The most important improvements to me are primarily the weather resistance and the autofocus. The weather resistance was indeed the main reason I bought it.

The autofocus seems generally faster and more sensitive in low light. It also has no BF/FF at all - it is absolutely spot on with all six autofocus lenses I have (Pentax/Tamron and SIgma) as well as using AF confirm with non AF lenses. On the K-R I have to put -7 to -10 correction which bugged me. They may both be specific to my particular copies though so don't take my word for it.
11-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Rather than posting a new thread, I'm reviving this old one. With Black Friday deals imminent, I'm finding myself on the fence about upgrading from my K-r to a K-30. Are there any others that made the jump with advice to offer?
11-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Rather than posting a new thread, I'm reviving this old one. With Black Friday deals imminent, I'm finding myself on the fence about upgrading from my K-r to a K-30. Are there any others that made the jump with advice to offer?
In my experience, everything the K-x/K-r do well (like low-light performance), the K-30 does a little better. The things they don't do so well (AF in low light, LiveView focusing speed), it does a lot better. If you have spare batteries or the AA clip for your K-r, they work fine in the K-30.

Downsides? Uh, the files are bigger, so it can eat up some SD cards and hard drives. If you have a K-30 and one of the older cameras, you have to remember that the K-30's viewfinder has 100% coverage. The buttons on the four-way controller are rearranged, and the flash/delete button is now the LiveView/delete button (flash has its own button, on the side of the flash housing). It's a little bigger, and the shape of the grip is different, so it may feel better/worse to hand - depends on your tastes.

As a cross between the K-5 and K-r, I think the K-30 is successful - almost all of the good features, almost none of the bad. In a lot of ways, it's the midrange body I really wanted when I settled for a K-x (because it was cheaper and rated better in low light than the K-7).

11-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Have just made the jump to the K-30 from the K-r and although I haven't had the time to do much shooting (damn work), I'm quite pleased. It's not that the K-r was missing anything... it's a very capable camera and much more capable than I am as a photographer. The two dials and the two "user" modes are very nice to have and the focusing seems faster. What pushed me over the edge (so to speak) is the weather resistance... in this part of the world I'll be seeing rain until April/May.
11-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #10

My back wheel on the K30 stops working from time to time, but with simple restart it works again.
11-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
One thing I didn't like and hope they will fix in the next firmware release is that you cannot magnify the review image immediately. With the K-r just after taking a photo while the image review is showing you can turn the dial to magnify the image to quickly check that it is in focus and so on. With the K-r you have to press the play button and then turn the dial - and it then takes quite some time to react. I had got used to the instant review zoom on the K-r and really miss that.
If you use Live View, go into the Live view options via the menu and select AF Zoom. This will make the camera automatically zoom into the area of focus straight after the shot to check that its still in focus. Im not sure if this will also work if not using Live View.
11-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #12

Is the color rendition of K-30 any different than K-x? I don't really like the colors of K-x, that's my biggest con for K-x.