Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This Is It For Me....

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This is my next camera just as soon as I have the $$$ in the kitty for! I don't know how I'm going to get Pentax to sell me one, but I simply must have this red beauty. I'm totally in love. I just stole this pic for my desktop. Look at the pic of the Crystal Red in this Ebay auction. I wanted one before but now I really, really want it!!!! Saving my pennies. You think if I called Pentax Japan when I have the $$$ and said "Pretty PLEASE?" someone over there just might sell me one? I don't want black, white or blue. I want THIS one...

NEW PENTAX K-30 K30 CAMERA + DA L 18-55mm LENS // CRYSTAL RED SPECIAL COLOR | eBay

09-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck. It is pretty.
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Dear magkelly: "This Is It For You..." and "That Was It For Me":
Do you see any basic difference? :-)

I really tried to get it in Japan directly in other color (yellow, orange, olive, ...crystal/silky) with 18-135WR but the exchange rate, the credit card payment and English language was too challenging there. It is a pitty that in US and EU only the bundle of 18-135 with the black body is available. Blue and white outside JP is ok, but not without 18-135 and you are right, the other colors are more to-fell in love. That is why I tried to confuse with something more subtle than just color.

Last edited by Plentax; 09-12-2012 at 10:17 AM.
09-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I normally prefer boring old black, but this camera just works in blue and especially that red. Maybe it's the angular shape of it.

It may or may not happen with the k30, but I noticed a year or so ago that there were loads of coloured kx and krs on ebay from Japan that were about 10-15% more than local prices here - not much of a premium for turning an already good looking tool into an item of aesthetic lust if you ask me.

09-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I normally prefer boring old black, but this camera just works in blue and especially that red. Maybe it's the angular shape of it.

It may or may not happen with the k30, but I noticed a year or so ago that there were loads of coloured kx and krs on ebay from Japan that were about 10-15% more than local prices here - not much of a premium for turning an already good looking tool into an item of aesthetic lust if you ask me.
Initially they were selling for a serious premium but with time they came down and now sell at WalMart for $549
Your Choice: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, and HD Video Value Bundle: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com
The K-30 in colors will come down too, it's just a matter of how long it will take IMHO.
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The red one is sharp, but I still want a blue one
09-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll break down and admit it: I lust for one of each. Given that I cannot afford one, I don't have to stress too much about the decision. It's that second K-5 that killed it ....

09-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Second K-5? Somebody has been naughty. :P Actually if you want to get technical I think I will likely buy 2 K-30's. I can see me using one of these for a long, long time for work and I'm thinking that 2 backup bodies might not be bad thing. I'll do one next year sometime and another the year after. I would like a red for sure, and maybe a black. The red would be my first pick but likely the first one will be black because I want the 18-135 kit if I can swing it. There is just something about that crystal red that really appeals to me.

I also like the orange and the green a lot too. The blue isn't bad though. The pics I've seen of it are nice actually. I still don't know that I'd want that color but I can see why someone might. The other colors usually show up on Amazon after a while. I've seen pink, purple and green K-x and K-r models on there. I don't really want to go to out of country but if there's not alternative eventually I might. I'm totally smitten with the K-30 the way I'm smitten with Spotties and I've just got to have that red one. It's becoming a real obsession that camera!
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Second K-5? Somebody has been naughty. :P Actually if you want to get technical I think I will likely buy 2 K-30's. I can see me using one of these for a long, long time for work and I'm thinking that 2 backup bodies might not be bad thing. I'll do one next year sometime and another the year after. I would like a red for sure, and maybe a black. The red would be my first pick but likely the first one will be black because I want the 18-135 kit if I can swing it. There is just something about that crystal red that really appeals to me.

I also like the orange and the green a lot too. The blue isn't bad though. The pics I've seen of it are nice actually. I still don't know that I'd want that color but I can see why someone might. The other colors usually show up on Amazon after a while. I've seen pink, purple and green K-x and K-r models on there. I don't really want to go to out of country but if there's not alternative eventually I might. I'm totally smitten with the K-30 the way I'm smitten with Spotties and I've just got to have that red one. It's becoming a real obsession that camera!
I can see why, it's a very nice camera with a great feature set for the money - particularly at the new lower prices.
09-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

Teh following URLs are usable even without knowledge of Japanese language:
I do not understand why some assume that primarily in Japan the people like colors.
At least in Europe the Japanese cars are not only black, blue and white.

Some people say: A photographer shall not care about camera body color. Is this valid also for car drivers? Is there a difference between consumer and professional usage? Then a F1 Ferrari should not be allowed to drive with "non professional" red color outside Japan.

Last edited by Plentax; 09-12-2012 at 06:26 AM.
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

I'm like wildweasel, I've always preferred black and I hate silver. But I have to admit that is a very pretty red and I honestly love the blue. If I were buying a new K30 right now it would be the blue version.
09-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I must admit, I wish that Pentax made the other colours available outside fo Japan.

I would love a silver K30, it would match beautifully with my ME.

I can understand why they may not want to release all of the colours overseas though, I would imagine that the brighter more in your face colours would be rather low sellers (I'm thinking the Yellows, oranges, bright reds) and as a result retailers would have a heap of unwanted yellows in stock until they discount them heavily to just get rid of them.
09-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't see why they can't make them special order, with an added surcharge for shipping, dumb.
09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Took this a while back and there's a huge difference in the red finishes:

It certainly does look the part.
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Took this a while back and there's a huge difference in the red finishes:
Those are so different that I'm wondering if it is actually supposed to be a different color. Or maybe the angle of some light source is making this appear that different. Is that a wild orange one nearby?

Magkelly - that is a gorgeous color! Maybe you could just buy a black one, mask it off, and get a can of spray paint! It is sealed, you know!