Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

movie auto focus

I have a k30 and want to use autofocus when shooting video. I also want to zoom so i want to push the af or green button to focus. HELP!

09-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Breuhaus - The K30 doesn't have continuous autofocus in video, like the 650D. Instead, you can use a button preset to re-focus during recording. There's a bit of a 'jump' that you can edit out later - it's very brief.

The K30's video functions are in the Manual, Pages 128-131.

Apparently the Pros, with the top-end video DSLRs, prefer to use MF, anyway. This seems to be easier to do with lenses that have a long-throw focus ring - I've been trying it out with a Tak 55mm f/1.8.... No zoom, of course - and there's a knack in "following" changes in distance while panning, that I don't quite (?) have correct, yet.

My Sigmas, that are zooms - have pretty short MF throw, which makes even focus-tracking for changing zoom and/or pan-across distance changes very awkward. There are zoom lenses that do have long or long-ish MF-ring throws - but whether suited to video, I don't know.

But the more advanced folk who'll soon be along, might be able to sort this out more efficiently...

Maybe Pentax will have a firmware update to let the Continuous Focus work in video....

Regards, Dave.
09-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or buy a video camera.

(I'm in the camp of curmudgeons that believes a camera is for stills and that's it and would be perfectly happy never having a damn video button taking up real estate or having to skip by video specific settings in the menus) Is Leica the last bastion?
09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Or buy a video camera.

(I'm in the camp of curmudgeons that believes a camera is for stills and that's it and would be perfectly happy never having a damn video button taking up real estate or having to skip by video specific settings in the menus) Is Leica the last bastion?
There is a difference between making "videos" and "cinematography". Like there is a difference between "snaps" and "photographs".

With a DSLR, you've got excellent glass, and if you have a "photographer's eye", then beauty can result. I am extremely happy that one tool can do both.

The K7 opened my eyes, and then the K5 blew me away with video.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

RyanW - In purist DSLR theory, you're probably perfectly correct. But the K30 isn't so expensive that family and other general - dare I say "hobby" - users, aren't going to buy it.... The sorts who go "one-up from the basic entry model" to get more and better functions, but will still expect it to be a general-purpose camera.

So a lot will be comparing K30's abilities and functions with other Brands at similar prices. The Canon 650D here in Sydney is about $20.00 price difference body-only from the K30.

Sure - with pentaprism, 2 x e-dials, in-body SR, WR, and much more - the K30 will eat 650Ds sprinkled over its brekkie - but the general-users, not as clued-up as folk on this Forum tend to be - will be looking at other "features". For those moving from the upper-end Bridge cameras - now mostly with Std and Full HD Video - the video functions are going to score highly with them.

And the 650D has what they'll want - Continuous Autofocus in video, Stereo Audio in video (the K30 is low, 32k mono), and a socket for external mic, which the K30 doesn't have, but needs - to compensate for the archaic mono in the camera... Even my 4-year-old Canon SX10 and 2-year-old Fuji HS10 have Stereo audio. (The SX10 also records audio-only, at WAV 11k / 22k / 44k.)

For such general-users - the 650D on "Auto" probably takes as nice "snaps" as the K30 on "Auto". (Yes, I know - but I've also been talking to 'general-user' friends here.... The "Gee, why spend all that on an unknown make such as that Pentax thingy, mate...?" - sorts.)

- Incidentally - the K30 doesn't have its controls 'crowded out' by a Video Button - the video starts/stops via the Shutter Button.....

Quote:- K30 Manual - Page 130

3 - Press the shutter release button halfway.
The autofocus system operates.
When the focus mode switch is set to \, turn the focusing ring until the
subject is clearly visible on the focusing screen.

4 - Press the shutter release button fully.
Movie recording starts.
A red P displayed at the top right of the screen blinks during movie recording.

5 - Press the shutter release button again. Movie recording stops. End quote.

Regards, Dave.
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was being a little facetious. I have shot a couple of videos when I had my K-R and also with Canon G.

I just borrowed my 5d3 to a friend to have a play. He opens the side door and starts asking my if this is for a microphobe, headphones, etc. I had no idea. I've had the camera since May and maybe opened that door once, saw it didn't contain the memory cards and shut it never to bother with it again.

I had to laugh, because if I do video with the 5D3 it will be push the button, and dump it from the card to the computer and that's it and I'm sure I'm only getting 1/10th of the use of the video that I could, but it just isn't a priority to me.

I was way more impressed with what the camera can do with stills.

@LaurenOE "With a DSLR, you've got excellent glass, and if you have a "photographer's eye"," Very good point, I didn't even think of this. I suppose the video cameras come with mediocre do it all, but none of it very well lenses. I don't like video enough to make it worth the extra effort to do it with a DSLR, I'd take the point and shoot simplicity of a consumer video cam any day. But to the video enthusiast, being able to work a little harder and get something closer to what the big guys are using is understandable. I guess the problem or why I don't/didn't get it is that I'm not a video hobbiest.

@exwintech - Thanks for all the info. You're right about foks in this forum being a little more clued in about cameras. (certainly doesn't apply to me and video though) I didn't realize Pentax didn't have a dedicated button. [Sam Kinneson voice] Pentax, I'm keeping my eye on you.