Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Sorry if this was posted before, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Pentax, in its advertising on YouTube, dumps a 1/2 beaker of water on a K-30 about a minute in:

PENTAX K-30 Weather Sealing - YouTube

Erm... Feedback to him to continuously zoom the lens in and out while having water poured on it...

I believe that will make a lot of difference, ya know?

05-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Erm... Feedback to him to continuously zoom the lens in and out while having water poured on it...

I believe that will make a lot of difference, ya know?
I noticed the beaker of water didn't go anywhere near the front of the lens. But it did pretty well soak the lens mount.

Pre-K-30, I used my weather resistant Olympus P&S riding the Maid of the Mist boats at Niagara Falls. For those of you who have done likewise, you know that the spray is the equivalent of heavy rainfall. Anything exposed WILL be wet. I wouldn't hesitate to take my K-30 with 18-15 WR lens on that trip. At the same time, as I still have plastic raincoats from my K-r, I would probably use one as 'belt and suspenders' protection.
05-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I noticed the beaker of water didn't go anywhere near the front of the lens. But it did pretty well soak the lens mount.

Pre-K-30, I used my weather resistant Olympus P&S riding the Maid of the Mist boats at Niagara Falls. For those of you who have done likewise, you know that the spray is the equivalent of heavy rainfall. Anything exposed WILL be wet. I wouldn't hesitate to take my K-30 with 18-15 WR lens on that trip. At the same time, as I still have plastic raincoats from my K-r, I would probably use one as 'belt and suspenders' protection.
Pouring water onto the combo is not the best way to determine if your WR really works.. Even my normal cheap headphone can be considered WR then..

You will need to zoom in and out continuously while having water poured on it..

It's to test if there's any leakage on any of the sealings..
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM - 3 Likes   #169

I took my K-30 18-135WR combo out many times under heavy rain without any problem afterwards at all. And yes, I zoom my lens all the time under the rain, still no problem what so ever.

Last year, I took it to a Sounders game which it was raining heavily all 80 mins out of the 90 mins of the game. I can tell you I was the only guy in my whole section who was using a DSLR.

And last month, I took it with me kayaking and have water constantly splashing onto it from my paddles and the paddles of my wife sitting in front of me. Again, no problem at all even with all that water splashing on it the whole time.

08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #170
Aux

My father with his K30 took about twenty photos in such a heavy rain that water bounced about 50cm back off the ground. The camera is fine (with WR lens). I made some shots with my K30 while swimming in Baltic sea - again no problems. If someone gets water inside - ask for a warranty exchange. It is clearly a defect.