Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #46
Pentaxian

There was absolutely no "user error" here. That should not have happened, period. In fact, once he gets it replaced or repaired, he should do it again just to make sure it is really sealed this time, as it should be!

09-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed. The problem would've been worse if he had indeed gone out into bad weather, got great shots only to discover the sealing will fail him. QC issues, while probably not that many, are still a pain and should be corrected, luckily he found that out while still in warranty period
09-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #48

Original Poster
Well, the silica gel placed over the LCD had produced quite the reduction in water-bubble size. At least there is that.
09-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Can anyone tell what this is?

Last edited by altopiet; 09-15-2012 at 01:20 AM.
09-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #50

Photos: Gallery
It's a pity for the TS that he suffered this on his brand new K-30. But I must agree with Heie, this is more of the exception rather than the rule. Seeing his videos on youtube is enough of a testament how rugged these cameras are. And in the Philippines, CameraHaus which is the official distributor of Pentax, demos the K-5 back then at the malls by spilling a bottle of water on the camera and even directly on the LCD. It is unfortunate that the TS got a "bad copy". If I were in his position, I'd probably rant on this thread the same way as he is.

But one thing I don't understand though is, the photo shows a tiny air bubble on the LCD. It means that a lot of water got into the LCD. And to think that the source is just from a 2 oz. of water...

If it easily went in like that shouldn't it easily go out of the LCD as well??? In this case I am led to believe that maybe the camera was actually dipped on water rather than spilling a tiny amount? Of course I am probably 99% wrong...

Anyways I hope the TS gets his camera fixed.
09-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have not intentionally tried the water splash experiment on my wife's K-30 yet....but my K-7 has been with me a couple of times in drizzle shower and I only have with me my kit lens at that time but water did not get in....the lens is not WR and I know I am taking my own risk here but hey the WR thingy works....I dont think I want to take it out in heavy rain but drizzle shower is fine....my K-7 is still working....getting old but still works.
09-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Did the camera stop working in any way? If not it's passed A OK as far as I'm concerned. It's just wet under an LCD cover, it's not inside the LCD. After it's dried, use some clear RTV if you don't like water getting there.

09-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The whole point is being missed by every one on this thread. Weather resistance =/ water proof.

It is insurance.

Back in the day there was some fool who bitched about his K7 failing because he was washing it une the kitchen tap.

Get with it here.
09-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fantasysage Quote
So Heie, what is Pentax paying you?
Sure he posted a long spiel, but all the information is because he is a very satisfied customer who you have to admit - really tests the gear!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie:
As a 100% private user (i.e. not paid by Pentax in anyway), I stand by the above standard (IP55W), and all experiences have been through personally owned cameras.
So there you go, not paid at all. Just satisfied. I suggest getting the gear fixed, and getting a WR lens so you can brag to your dad properly.

My K-30 hasn't been tested, I was the first person on the forums with a K-30 so hopefully my batch isn't full of problems haha! I don't have a WR lens but if I did I would definitely give it a gentle spray down with water for my own satisfaction - nothing with strong pressure though, just because rain here isn't that intense.

It could've been worse anyhow, ingress could've made it into the camera and corrupted the stuff on the card. Sure it's a piss around getting it all done, but i've just gone through sending my Tamron lens for repair and its annoying yes and it was out of warrenty so it cost me money but I'm damn glad I did. Nothing worse than having a bit of kit and knowing it's not quite up to scratch, but being too stubborn to sort it.

Adding weather seals has to be a pain in the ass for production, not so much expensive but stacks of little o-rings and rubber gaskets to align and install - no wonder most brands don't bother on the lower end gear. I think good on Pentax for giving us the option.

I read a news article earlier today about a bunch of Nissan Qashqai SUV's being recalled after a fault where the whole damn steering wheel comes off the steering column - now thats a fault worthy of a forum post haha!

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 09-15-2012 at 05:20 AM.
09-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The whole point is being missed by every one on this thread. Weather resistance =/ water proof.

It is insurance.

Back in the day there was some fool who bitched about his K7 failing because he was washing it une the kitchen tap.

Get with it here.
It SHOULD handle the kitchen tap just fine -- just like a hard rain. As long as you are not dunking it should be sealed and protected. That's the point. It is not "insurance" -- it is an everyday feature.
09-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It SHOULD handle the kitchen tap just fine -- just like a hard rain. As long as you are not dunking it should be sealed and protected. That's the point. It is not "insurance" -- it is an everyday feature.
it is sad that people have taken the feature so wrong.

there is a test that defines the spray, size of droplets and the velocity. I am sure a tap is not part of the standard.

people have taken this feature too literally to imply water proof. IT IS NOT
09-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I guess Pentax themselves should do these IP tests on the cameras before final release and shipping, so as to reduce furthermore leaking units such as the OP's.
09-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
people have taken this feature too literally to imply water proof. IT IS NOT
+1. I'm sure that Pentax would rather understate this feature, calling it "weather resistant", knowing that it would be a little better than that, rather than flat out saying that it is "water proof", letting everyone have a go at testing it like the OP did.

It is a different story If they say it is "waterproof" like here...

Optio WG-1 Black

• 14 megapixels
  • Waterproof, crushproof, coldproof, dustproof
  • Digital Microscope mode with LED lens lighting"
Sure go throw it in the tub, but if they say "weather resistant" don't read more into it than just that.

I think the feature is just to give you more peace of mind that if you are suddenly caught in some rain or dust situation, you don't have to worry so much about your precious gear failing.

Last edited by altopiet; 09-15-2012 at 06:31 AM.
09-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #59
Pentaxian

When using a WR lens and camera either the K20D or K-5, in wet conditions I always wipe them down and dry them at the first opportunity. They may be WR, but that's no reason to get stupid.
09-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #60

One of the firsts things I did after getting my K5 this summer, (with 18-135), was thes the wr, focus tracking and hi fps at this ride at la ronde:
It was quite fun with everyone around telling me to get out of there because there was gonna be a lot of water
That's why I wanted a wr camera, to don't care about that. And I wanted to be sure the seals were working as they should why I was in the first week.
Wr is a feature and need to be tested just like any other feature when you buy something, you don't want it to fail when you really need it.
OP is lucky to have found the flaw in his camera and should be glad. It's as defective as an malfunctioning AF and should be fixed or replaced.