Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Waterproof would imply that you can't submerge it -- in other words submit it to "water with pressure". But if water just running over it runs in the seals and breaks it, then it isn't resistant at all, is it? As the OP said, no more than a piece of paper. What exactly does water resistant or weather proof mean if it can't get wet? What are all those SEALS for if they don't seal anything? Seriously, what for, if you get water on the seal and it goes right through and breaks the camera?

Pentax in their OWN advertising and press conferences are pouring bottles of water on their WR cameras and lenses. Why are some of you defending a clear failure of what is supposed to be a clear feature as if it is supposed to happen?

09-15-2012, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had my K-30 out in a light rainshower and had no problems whatsoever. I don't intend to baby this camera. I got it partly because of its weather resistance. If there is a problem, I want to know while it's under warranty. However, I realize it is not a submersible.

OP, I see two choices. 1) Immediately contact Pentax and get the camera repaired. 2) See if you can dry it out and then take the camera out in the rain and see if it happens again. Then if it does, call them for repair.

It should not have happened if you just splashed it with a small amount of water. They should fix it. I know it's disappointing, but that's what warranties are for.
09-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Waterproof would imply that you can't submerge it -- in other words submit it to "water with pressure". But if water just running over it runs in the seals and breaks it, then it isn't resistant at all, is it? As the OP said, no more than a piece of paper. What exactly does water resistant or weather proof mean if it can't get wet? What are all those SEALS for if they don't seal anything? Seriously, what for, if you get water on the seal and it goes right through and breaks the camera?

Pentax in their OWN advertising and press conferences are pouring bottles of water on their WR cameras and lenses. Why are some of you defending a clear failure of what is supposed to be a clear feature as if it is supposed to happen?
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Pentax certainly marketed and promoted it as splash proof.
09-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This should be covered by warranty worst-case.
I agree, but water resistant technically is different than water proof

Hope you get your product fixed

Good luck

Randy

09-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I agree, but water resistant technically is different than water proof

Hope you get your product fixed

Good luck

Randy
I agree with you to a point, but Pentax chose a certain line of marketing with the K-30.

Go here to Pentax Imaging and check the motto:
QuoteQuote:
NEVER TAKE A RAIN CHECK.

Thanks to the K-30, for the first time in a long time location doesn’t matter. Whether it’s a sandy day at the beach or a trek into the wet rainforests of Belize, the K-30 is the ideal DSLR camera to capture your memories regardless of your location or the elements you face. Its weather sealed body and intuitive ergonomics give you the flexibility and comfortability to shoot what you want, when you want and where you want.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/dslr/K-30_Black

Last edited by Blue; 09-15-2012 at 07:18 AM.
09-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #66

Original Poster
Ya know guys. I NEVER said water proof.

Anyway, the silica gel worked. Bubble is gone.
09-15-2012, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I can personally assure you that the weather sealing claims are very real
Thank you Heie for your great post! While everything you described in your post is quite a bit beyond the level of use I will ever have the opportunity to subject my gear to, it is EXACTLY the level of expectation I have when I consider the WR feature. When combined with the Pentax marketing of the K-30, testimonials like yours and and all of others set that level of expectation. It is great to hear from Heie (and all the other users) that you don't consider WR just as a safeguard against the unexpected but rather consider it a feature to be enjoyed. Having the ability to shoot water slides, rainy days, waterfalls, beaches, hiking trips, etc. without worrying at all about dust and water is a HUGE benefit of the K-30.

I stated in my earlier post in this thread that I would consider the WR feature something to be used like any other feature. In my mind it's no different than AF. AF works when there's an AF lens attached and even though that lens can be manually focused, AF isn't just for emergency situations when you can't MF. To that end, WR works when there is a WR lens attached and I see no reason to "save" it for emergency use. Now I realize that the OP did not have a WR lens, and I would not have attempted his test/demonstration without one, however, given the location of the leak, it is pretty obvious that the LCD seal is the issue and should be replaced.

I suppose the lesson of this thread for me is that WR "should" work and work REALLY well. However, thanks to the apprehension of those experienced users that consider it as only a safety net not to be tested, I will not be too hasty to sell my K-r so that I have a body to shoot with in the event my K-30 needs to get serviced. There's lots of good logic behind that anyway because honestly, ANYTHING could go wrong, it is a piece of electronic gear after all. But, after reading the posts in this thread, if this incident happens to me when/if I upgrade to a K-30, I will immediately be exchanging it or sending it in for warranty repair.

09-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fantasysage Quote
Ya know guys. I NEVER said water proof. Anyway, the silica gel worked. Bubble is gone.
That's great to hear. It would be best, though, if you can have your camera checked at the nearest Pentax dealer and ask if its seals are compromised (make up a story of course! :P). That way you can really get what you paid for.
09-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ya know guys. I NEVER said water proof.

Anyway, the silica gel worked. Bubble is gone.
I would still ask for a warranty replacement. This should not have happened. Nor should application of silica gel have fixed it. Apparently moisture is quite easily passing into and out of the LCD component.

Steve
09-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #70

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would still ask for a warranty replacement. This should not have happened. Nor should application of silica gel have fixed it. Apparently moisture is quite easily passing into and out of the LCD component.

Steve
Agreed. However there is something I really want to shoot today, and I sort of planned my weekend around it. I will have to take care of it. I am just not going to do it today.
09-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #71

Original Poster
Well I took it out today and got some shots. Like the camera a lot. Apart from the whole LCD thing of course. I will probably get it looked at eventually. I juse hate being without a camera.

Photo Album - Imgur
09-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The whole point is being missed by every one on this thread. Weather resistance =/ water proof.

It is insurance.

Back in the day there was some fool who bitched about his K7 failing because he was washing it une the kitchen tap.

Get with it here.
You must not have seen my post.
09-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #73
Site Supporter

So Heie, what is Pentax paying you?
If they aren't they should be!
09-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Overall Ive been very dissapointed with the K5. Some things I do like though. One thing I do like is the impressive waterproofing. Anyone that has doubts to how good this is should see some pics on this very site. I cant remember where they are but some guy was taking pics underwater at the swimming baths. I suggested he should sell them to Pentax lol. They are just about the best advert ive seen for any camera unless a genuine underwater camera lol. This makes me rather sure your camera had a faulty or missing seal. Glad to hear it cleared up for you though. There is another possability though. Thats if the coffee was hot ! It may be heat related ! Just a thought !
09-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I took it out today and got some shots. Like the camera a lot. Apart from the whole LCD thing of course. I will probably get it looked at eventually. I juse hate being without a camera.

Photo Album - Imgur
Good eye! Great camera! I sure hope your camera is fully recovered.