Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #91

i've been on heavy rain with a k-5+18-55wr nothing happened.
i dont know about the k-30 but it should be the same as the k-5...
also this
check 10m 37s

09-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The whole point is being missed by every one on this thread. Weather resistance =/ water proof.

It is insurance.

Back in the day there was some fool who bitched about his K7 failing because he was washing it une the kitchen tap.

Get with it here.
Well, it was not me ( I have been called a fool several times). Not to say that I have not washed my K-7 with a kitchen sink thing. It was that or let the spilled chocolate-milk dry up in the controls. Still works fine after that abuse.

Bottom line is that if it is WR or weather sealed, it should be able to handle little moisture and rain or an occasional spilled drink.

edit: I missed rinsing the D-BG4 On-Off lever, it turned into a sticky, hard to operate mess that is still acting up.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
09-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #93

Well quality control is not like in old times!
09-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hold on, isn't it weather and dust resistant? not, chuck it in the sea/dunk a glass of water over it/spray it with a hose resistant?

e.g. my car is weather resistant - if I throw a bucket of water at it at the wrong angle, hard, it'll probably leak a bit.;

09-23-2012, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
e.g. my car is weather resistant - if I throw a bucket of water at it at the wrong angle, hard, it'll probably leak a bit.;
Really!?! Since I expect mine to go through the car wash, drive through puddles, and remain parked outside during a rain storm all while remaining dry inside, I would consider it a warranty issue if water thrown from a bucket by a human were able to penetrate the weather sealing.

I think the examples provided in this thread have done a pretty good job of setting the level of expectation for Pentax WR performance.
09-23-2012, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I did that to my 1962 Austin-Healey Sprite Mk-II. Not only would it leak, it would stop running.
09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
If I did that to my 1962 Austin-Healey Sprite Mk-II. Not only would it leak, it would stop running.
I sure hope Lucas doesn't make any of the electronics for Pentax cameras.

09-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I sure hope Lucas doesn't make any of the electronics for Pentax cameras.
'Lucas' - Prince of Darkness!
09-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
When 50 years old K-30 becomes, more cautious you should be.
09-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
When 50 years old K-30 becomes, more cautious you should be.
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
'Lucas' - Prince of Darkness!
Yes, Jedi Master, but I had a black MGB in 1970 that was 50 days old the first time there was a disturbance in The Force.
09-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Really!?! Since I expect mine to go through the car wash, drive through puddles, and remain parked outside during a rain storm all while remaining dry inside, I would consider it a warranty issue if water thrown from a bucket by a human were able to penetrate the weather sealing.

I think the examples provided in this thread have done a pretty good job of setting the level of expectation for Pentax WR performance.
None of these involve high pressure water aimed at a particular seal.... (I'm not just talking about chucking a bucket over for rinsing purposes, from a distance)

E.g. pressure washers - you should stand away from the car, and ensure its not set too high.

Just saying that expectation vs what the manufacturer warrants it to be able to do are two different things.

If it helps, still think the OP should put in for a warranty claim - its more the people washing things under showers etc which I wouldn't expect Pentax to warranty against.
09-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, Jedi Master, but I had a black MGB in 1970 that was 50 days old the first time there was a disturbance in The Force.
Force has always been very weak with Lucas.
09-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #103
Veteran Member

None of these involve high pressure water aimed at a particular seal.... (I'm not just talking about chucking a bucket over for rinsing purposes, from a distance) E.g. pressure washers - you should stand away from the car, and ensure its not set too high. Just saying that expectation vs what the manufacturer warrants it to be able to do are two different things. If it helps, still think the OP should put in for a warranty claim - its more the people washing things under showers etc which I wouldn't expect Pentax to warranty against.
I honestly believe that the shower/sink footage we've been seeing is not really any different than a heavy downpour rain. However, I would concede that pressure washing a K-30 is be beyond the WR capabilities... although, I'm sure Heie will post a video proving me wrong However, getting back to the OP, I don't think a 2oz cup of water test is akin to a pressure washer either.

Speaking of the OP... I really hope we get a followup on whether or not the K-30 was sent in for repair and if Pentax covers it or not. I know that'll be a while but the only one that can authoritatively set the level of expectation for the WR feature is Pentax.
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
The screen seals have always been shoddy compared to the rest of the water sealing, my K20D has a big spray of dust behind the lcd cover from the zoom lenses sucking air in and out from a seal failure in the corner, but I don't have any WR lenses so I never cared. These cameras really need a WR breather. A bead of black RTV gasket sealant packed into the seam around the edge then wiped off would work well too, it never hardens and holds up very well.

And for the confused person who blamed the lens, its impossible to get water in through the lens and have it end up under the LCD without filling the whole camera first, the internal design is far too cluttered.

And for those who say Pentax doesn't advertise the camera being water proof, here is the picture off the Pentax website showing what he just did.
In the UK that picture alone would get you a full refund or replacement under The Sale of Goods Act. The picture clearly implies that weather resistant means you can throw a cup of water over it.
09-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax Canada shows the K-30 as being "Fully weather-sealed" and "Dustproof, Coldproof design"

They also list the K-5 as Dustproof and weather resistant with 77 seals.

Now these aren't exactly "fine print" features - they're very much front and center with a fair bit of advertising copy and visuals promoting the sealing.

IMO, with this much advertising promoting those features it is very reasonable to conclude that people are buying Pentax products for this advantage they have over similar cameras from the competition. If people are buying Pentax cameras for the WR features, then Pentax should be warranting WR failures just like any other advertised feature.