Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #106

I am sorry to hear that you have received a defected copy of K-30.
I just want to let you know that in case you do plan to send in your K-30 to Pentax service center for servicing, I don't think you will need to wait for 2 months to get your camera back.
I know cause I have just got back my own K-30 which was sent to their service center (for a non-water damage related issue).
I sent out my K-30 on 8/24 via regular USPS parcel post and have just received it back today 9/27.
So, it's just took them about a month, which I consider very acceptable.

10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #107
Inactive Account

So in summary:

Pentax Advocate 1: Pentax is better than other brands because they are weather resistant! Because neither Nikon nor Canon have any seals at all! Truth!

Pentax Purchaser: Hm, I poured some water on the body to test it out, and it doesn't seem to be as resistant as I thought

Pentax Advocate 2: It's not WATER proof, you silly! It's WEATHER proof! Even though there are youtube videos of Pentax reps pouring water over pentax lenses and cameras, YOU should NEVER test your gear! For example, the shutter life is just an estimate; it may be more or less! That's why I never actually use the shutter: this way it'll always be ok! I wear latex gloves when using my Pentax, to prevent skin moisture from damaging it!

Pentax Advocate 3: Blasphemous newb. Pentax cameras are completely waterproof, sandproof and even ranger proof. Not only that, but I've built houses for the locals using it as a hammer. It has even deflected a .338 Lapua round thus saving my ass.

Pentax Purchaser: Wait, so it's not really waterproof? Wait, but it actually is??? Huh?
10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
So in summary:

Pentax Advocate 1: Pentax is better than other brands because they are weather resistant! Because neither Nikon nor Canon have any seals at all! Truth!

Pentax Purchaser: Hm, I poured some water on the body to test it out, and it doesn't seem to be as resistant as I thought

Pentax Advocate 2: It's not WATER proof, you silly! It's WEATHER proof! Even though there are youtube videos of Pentax reps pouring water over pentax lenses and cameras, YOU should NEVER test your gear! For example, the shutter life is just an estimate; it may be more or less! That's why I never actually use the shutter: this way it'll always be ok! I wear latex gloves when using my Pentax, to prevent skin moisture from damaging it!

Pentax Advocate 3: Blasphemous newb. Pentax cameras are completely waterproof, sandproof and even ranger proof. Not only that, but I've built houses for the locals using it as a hammer. It has even deflected a .338 Lapua round thus saving my ass.

Pentax Purchaser: Wait, so it's not really waterproof? Wait, but it actually is??? Huh?
Multiple realists from the same thread: "It should survive that amount of splashing, you have a defective copy. Get it repaired under warranty or replaced."
10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #109
Forum Member

I usually take my K-30 off when I go to sauna. It is not that I dont trust my Pentax, but my pictures always appear more or less foggy.

10-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
I usually take my K-30 off when I go to sauna. It is not that I dont trust my Pentax, but my pictures always appear more or less foggy.
Condensation is a completely different animal. You will get condensation on the front elements, and eventually most glass elements within the lens anyways. This is not just because of the sheer humidity in the room, but also because your lens has humidity within already. So even the best sealed lens will get foggy.
10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #111
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Condensation is a completely different animal. You will get condensation on the front elements, and eventually most glass elements within the lens anyways. This is not just because of the sheer humidity in the room, but also because your lens has humidity within already. So even the best sealed lens will get foggy.
I Know. Was just trying to be funny.
10-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #112
Veteran Member

I Know. Was just trying to be funny.
Aha - couldn't tell all is good

10-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how long the camera would survive in a 105 degree Celsius sauna?. It should not fog up too bad, the humidity should be pretty low.
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #114
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I wonder how long the camera would survive in a 105 degree Celsius sauna?. It should not fog up too bad, the humidity should be pretty low.
Make sure you give a full report here.
10-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you give a full report here.
With pictures of my burned ears.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.
10-15-2012, 04:37 PM - 2 Likes   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had my K-5 with me all over the theme parks in Orlando FL and have taken it with me on every single water ride I went on. For two days at Disney it rained, and I was pretty much the only "idiot" fool enough to have my camera out in it(well that is how folks were looking at me...like I was an idiot fool willing to destroy my DSLR)
I am happy to report that the camera performed flawlessly in every water related condition I put it through. Yes I was testing the capabilities of my camera, why? because I would rather it give out now, instead of down the road where I have it out shooting something really important and it dies on me then.
One of the main reasons I got my K-5 was for the advertised weather sealant capabilities, I needed a camera where I can take it and not have to worry about getting it wet, full of sand and dust. I am the type of person who prides himself on testing out the capabilities of a given item, however once I am sure that it performs as promised, I tend to back off on the testing phase and actually start to "baby" my equipment as much as I can although I am still rough on it.
I also constantly wiped the whole camera/lens/grip down every chance I got because even though it is weather sealed I still wanted to make sure (once it was tested) that I was really not intentionally giving it a reason to fail on me.
Just like the OP I will not hesitate to show someone the abilities this camera possesses of weather sealing and will dump a glass of water on the camera......I've seen me do it.
His camera shouldn't have leaked with just 1/4 cup of water splashed on it, and Pentax really should IMHO offer him a new camera as a replacement, and if not then they shouldn't advertise their equipment with images of them throwing a lot of water on a camera body.
I have used Pentax gear all my shooting life and it has NEVER let me down, hope for the OP they make good.

Disclaimer-For those of you who are calling "BS" to my claims of taking my camera on the water rides AND using it while on the rides, I hope this clears it up-

I must have clicked off around thirty shots coming down that hill, I had the camera set on continuous high speed shooting and this is the "wettist" shot, we were all SOAKED from head to toe when we got off this ride along with the camera......I just wiped it off and went on my merry way in the happiest place on earth.

Last edited by BirdDude007; 10-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #117
Veteran Member

I personally think the best test ground for any camera is the tropics. Sand and sweat galore, plus all you have to do is walk outside and your camera's viewer and lens is almost guaranteed to fog. Maybe a journey to Antarctica or the North Pole might tax your camera more but I kind of doubt it.
10-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I personally think the best test ground for any camera is the tropics. Sand and sweat galore, plus all you have to do is walk outside and your camera's viewer and lens is almost guaranteed to fog. Maybe a journey to Antarctica or the North Pole might tax your camera more but I kind of doubt it.
Cold climes would affect the camera but in different ways. The first would be battery live. As the temps plummet below 0 fahrenheit, so does battery life. Cold temps will also cause materials to shrink and possibly warp which can effect the mechanical operations of a camera like the shutter, mirror and lens blades, not to mention the focusing and zoom abilites of various lenses. I suspect SDM would be especially vulnerable in severe cold.

Each extreme has it's own set of problems.
10-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #119
Veteran Member

I hope he put his camera in a Bowl of Rice (Uncooked) to draw out the water.
10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I wonder how long people could survive. That's five degrees above the boiling point.